| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radelaide
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

For anyone here in Adelaide who hasn't given it a try yet, go check out Earth's Kitchen on Pirie Street. It's only a weekday/daytime joint unfortunately (I think they should do weekend breakfast and dinner - they're open later Fridays) and they're not exclusively vegan or even vegetarian. It's an organic place but they always have vegan options including two breakfast options, pizza, salads, and these really delicious carrot and zucchini balls in a spicy tomato sauce. Not a huge menu, but everything's great. They're also happy to veganise things if they can. The service is excellent and the overall ambiance is really nice. It can get crowded at lunch time though, but I think you can book. I'm glad they're doing so well! http://kitchenson.earthcommunities.com.au/

Someone mentioned a new vegan place to me the other day, I think in town? Anyone know what it is and where?

Post subject: Re: Radelaide
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

......where the air is clear, there's better beer
Adelaide

Now I'll have that Ben Folds song stuck in my head all day.

The only vegetarian place we ate at in Adelaide was Bliss - a little hole in the wall place on Compton (I think) - the food was yummy. Normally we just popped into our local Red Rock for a Friday night easy dinner and had the tofu option.

I miss living in a city, and Adelaide was nice for having all these little quiet pockets.

You can get Coopers here in Canada - just the Sparkling, not the Pale - which was my preference, and here's the kicker- it's cheaper here.

Sorry, off on my own mental wanderings, now you have me a bit homesick for Adelaide.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Earth's Kitchen sounds decent! I'm always keen for new breakfast places, so I'll definitely check it out next time I'm back.

The only new place I've heard about it Creperie Bruxelles on Henley Beach Road. It's run by the people that make poffertjes at the Show and in the Garden during the Fringe, it's not all vegan but apparently they can make vegan versions of pretty much everything on the menu. Pretty keen to check it out next time I'm back in town!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jean wrote:
You can get Coopers here in Canada - just the Sparkling, not the Pale - which was my preference, and here's the kicker- it's cheaper here.

My friends in St Catharines can get Sparkling at their local pub! Pretty impressive. But we still took a couple of longnecks of Pale over (at their request) when we went over to visit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 am 
Inflexitarian

Erinnerung wrote:
jean wrote:

My friends in St Catharines can get Sparkling at their local pub! Pretty impressive. But we still took a couple of longnecks of Pale over (at their request) when we went over to visit.

Your friends may appreciate Stanley Park Amber Ale, a very good beer we recently discovered. To be honest, it's better than Coopers.

Sorry to hi-jack. I really should look for a local beer/wine appreciation thread.

We were pretty skint most of our time living in Adelaide, and did not eat out very much so I have nothing more to add to this, but it was nice to reminisce about our time there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:45 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Horner & Pratt on North Terrace have two vegan breakfast choices. A breakfast burrito and a big breakfast. I've had the burrito and it was really nice. Seems like housemade refried beans, guac, sauteed mushrooms, tomato relish, fresh chopped tomato - I think that was about it - very satisfying. The big brekky is sourdough with refried beans, roast pumpkin, mushrooms, guac, smashed peas...not sure what else, but it looked great (my friend ordered it with bacon, so it's obviously appealing to omnis too!). It's a cute little place between Rundle and Grenfell (good coffee too!). $14 I think for either option. https://www.facebook.com/HornerPratt