| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soy Milk and Tofu Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for brands of tofu and soy milk specifically. Not just what their taste, texture, etc is like, but what uses they're most suited too.

I just stumbled on a brand of tofu in an Asian supermarket that I'd never tried before - Fortune Beancurd Manufacturers Super Quality Tofu (GMO free). Not organic apparently, made in Victoria. A massive 700g pack for $3.80. It's quite soft, kind of like a firm silken tofu in a way, but with a firmer "skin". I crumbled it to make a tofu scramble and it worked great. It's very mild in flavour, and quite creamy, so I'm thinking it would be great for sweet dishes, and would blend really well, so would also be good for quiches and omelettes. Comes in a plastic container with a peel-off lid.

I've been making a lot of yogurt lately, and have had the most success with Vitasoy Soy Milky and Woolworths Macro soy milk (the Woolies one is slightly creamier when made into yogurt, but I prefer the flavour and colour of Soy Milky). Based on Bryanna's recipe, I heat two cups of milk with a teaspoon of powdered agar, two tablespoons of arrowroot flour, a tablespoon of sugar, and when it's thickened, take it off the heat and blend in enough cold milk to make up a litre with about 1/3 cup of live yogurt. Then stick it in the EasiYo for 8-12 hours.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Soy Milk and Tofu Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofu = Twin Oaks brand. It's solid and pressed already. Very thick and dense. It works great for stir-frys and tofu scrambles because it won't fall apart and get all mushy. Also works really well for Isa's method of making fried tofu cubes. And sliced, marinated, and baked works really well too. Love it!
http://twinoakstofu.com/we-make-great-t ... oaks-tofu/

Soy Milk = 365 organic unsweetened (Whole Foods). I don't normally drink soy milk straight up but I could drink this with no problem. It has a mild flavor and is universal. Cereal, baking, savory dishes, no matter...it works in everything.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]