| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Election and leadership and ugh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 am 
Chip Strong

Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss the current shitstorm, if people feel like it. I don't really know what to say.

As one friend on facebook said, "Kevin 013 just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow".

Post subject: Re: Election and leadership and ugh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Well goodbye Australia's first female prime minister. We sure did that right...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 am 
Inflexitarian

caterpillar wrote:
Well goodbye Australia's first female prime minister. We sure did that right...

Haha. Yeah. I think Gillard expressed it very well: gender doesn't explain everything (in her PM-ship), but it doesn't explain nothing. It sure played a role in media coverage and some reactions to her. It could be a good long while before we see our second woman in that office.

Rudd is so... ugh. I couldn't care less about either of the major parties, except of course I'd prefer the Liberals not to win in September. At least maybe Rudd's leadership will help the ALP not to lose in a three-terms-in-the-wilderness sort of way. Watching his presser tonight, it all came flooding back how annoying he really is.

I momentarily thought this thread should go in the Parlor, but it's hard to imagine anyone but Australians posting in it anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm interested in Australian politics, although I admit I don't know that much about it! The Australia & New Zealand subforum still seems like a good place for it to be to me though.

I was really touched by Julia Gillard's stepping down speech when she said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/26/julia-gillard-australia-prime-minister-kevin-rudd wrote:
With tears in her eyes, she talked about what her term as prime minister might mean for other female leaders: "What I am absolutely confident of is it will be easier for the next woman, and the woman after that, and the woman after that, and I'm proud of that."

It still seems like a pretty sad situation though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am 

Drossie wrote:
I momentarily thought this thread should go in the Parlor, but it's hard to imagine anyone but Australians posting in it anyway!

Haha well there's one! But I agree, and I'm sure it will remain mostly a place to vent and/or wallow in a giant puddle of political sadness until the election (and probably after).

Who wants to move to NZ with me?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

caterpillar wrote:

*waves arm*

what bums me out is news coverage like: Mr Rudd has promised to unite the Labor Party and take the fight to Opposition Leader Tony Abbott in the upcoming election. I don't think it matters who the leader of the major parties are right now, no one has much that inspires me with any awe. I'd love for someone to show some forking courage.

as for Gillard, I didn't like her as a PM, but I'm appalled at the shiitake she had to go through. sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

same, joshua... no one should have had to put up with the shiitake she had to deal with.

but you know, i like little nerdy kevvie. i think he's a very earnest person. and tony abbott frightens me, that amount of sexism in a person should not be allowed in politics *shudder*. i'm pretty underwhelmed atm by labor, but the libs are just not an alternative for me in this or any other reality. i'd love to see the greens get a go at running the place :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 am 
Inflexitarian

Imogen wrote:
I'm interested in Australian politics, although I admit I don't know that much about it! The Australia & New Zealand subforum still seems like a good place for it to be to me though.

I was really touched by Julia Gillard's stepping down speech when she said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/26/julia-gillard-australia-prime-minister-kevin-rudd wrote:
With tears in her eyes, she talked about what her term as prime minister might mean for other female leaders: "What I am absolutely confident of is it will be easier for the next woman, and the woman after that, and the woman after that, and I'm proud of that."

It still seems like a pretty sad situation though.

Well thanks for the interest! (Noting your location: I'm absolutely fascinated by the politics of the independence referendum! SNP and Greens as - it seems - uneasy bedfellows, and the veritable buffet of grassroots campaigning*. And the moment I finally twigged that it's not about republicanism as such - that's a separate argument/referendum...)

Anyhoooo! Rudd is already driving me completely nuts with his contrived folksiness and talking to "the kids" and so on. And imagine him telling parliament today that they should try to be kinder and gentler!!

Did you all see Rob Oakeshott's valedictory speech today? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IbojsdXADk There's some tears for you. I thought this was typically gracious and warm and kind of him, and I'm sorry to see him and Tony Windsor leaving. Like so many have been saying: there go the grownups.

And as for the exodus of Labor MPs from cabinet and even from parliament...! What a roll call: Emerson, Garrett and Smith (and Gillard) gone at the election, and Swan, Combet, Conroy and Ludwig (and Emerson and Garrett) resigning their ministries now. Think that's everyone...?

*Mixed metaphor much?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

joshua wrote:
caterpillar wrote:

*waves arm*

Aw, you guys I'm sorry to break it to you but it's not a whole lot better in NZ. Helen Clark faced the same kind of scrutiny for being a woman /childless/ her appearance/ rumours of her and her husband being gay and in a sham marriage. We're just as awful as Australia :-(

I'll be interested to see what Gillard does post-parliament. Has there been any suggestion of future plans? I haven't noticed anything in the coverage I've seen.

Drossie wrote:
And imagine him telling parliament today that they should try to be kinder and gentler!!

I thought the exact same thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:17 pm 

mendelian wrote:
Aw, you guys I'm sorry to break it to you but it's not a whole lot better in NZ. Helen Clark faced the same kind of scrutiny for being a woman /childless/ her appearance/ rumours of her and her husband being gay and in a sham marriage. We're just as awful as Australia :-(

but you have fewer things that can kill you. and you have Bonsoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 am 
Inflexitarian

Okay, a big jump in 2PP polling for ALP on 49 (+4) to LNP's 51 (-4). And Rudd easily in front of Abbott as preferred PM (51-34). Maybe we're saved...? Or maybe it's just one of those bumps that polls get...

Either way, I'm pretty alarmed by Carr's comments about toughening up the refugee determination process.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What a time to be overseas! I mean it in the best possible way, Canberra would be a completely ridiculous place to be this week. I'm so sad to see Gillard go, mainly because I think it really reflects on how poorly she was treated by the media, and how people bought into it. From what I've seen, Rudd is doing a lot of things very right- he's been sitting on these lines and decisions for a while, and it shows. The international development/aid Cabinet spot stands out for me as a definite response to the Coalition's shadow ministry, and positioning the ALP to make up for that previous shortcoming in the eyes of (particularly youth) voters. I'm interested to see whether he responds similarly in the Indigenous sector- for me it's not a matter of if, but when (as in, pre- or post-election).

I've heard a lot of first-hand horror stories from people who have worked closely with Rudd (and who will all be horrified by the leadership change), but he seems to have referenced these criticisms and is promising to change. I'll be interested to see how much he really can change in that aspect.

Also sad to see the back of Combet! The others, not so much.

Fingers crossed for an election call this week so that I can come home to sweet, sweet caretaker mode. Not so keen for the incessant polling in the election lead-up, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 am 
Inflexitarian

Erinnerung wrote:
From what I've seen, Rudd is doing a lot of things very right- he's been sitting on these lines and decisions for a while, and it shows. The international development/aid Cabinet spot stands out for me as a definite response to the Coalition's shadow ministry, and positioning the ALP to make up for that previous shortcoming in the eyes of (particularly youth) voters. I'm interested to see whether he responds similarly in the Indigenous sector- for me it's not a matter of if, but when (as in, pre- or post-election).

Yes. And his conversion to supporting marriage equality... I find it difficult to imagine that announcement a while back was anything other than very carefully timed with a view to this all playing out. This is going to be a short-lived Cabinet and election lead-up three years in the making, and he's going after the yoof.

Also: Andrew O'Keefe, you're alllll right kid (second half especially). If it's this easy to make Abbott look silly, why aren't more actual political journalists doing it??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am 

Erinnerung wrote:
I've heard a lot of first-hand horror stories from people who have worked closely with Rudd (and who will all be horrified by the leadership change), but he seems to have referenced these criticisms and is promising to change. I'll be interested to see how much he really can change in that aspect.

heh. the cynic in me thinks that:
a) staff would rather work with Rudd with Labor in power, rather than working with Gillard/anyone and not have power (it's all about winning!)
b) Rudd will be out again within 12 months - he can get them over the line for the election (anyone new now would be too unstable). OR if he loses the election, they can replace him and try again in 3 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am 

Drossie wrote:
Either way, I'm pretty alarmed by Carr's comments about toughening up the refugee determination process.

Well this went down a pretty dark path. These ads are making me feel stabby.

gunk wrote:
As one friend on facebook said, "Kevin 013 just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow".

#KevinSep7 ...I guess it works, sorta.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:11 am 

my nearest polling place is about 1000km away. that sucks a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

WOOOOO CARETAKERRRRR

Work is SO BORING already and it's amazing. I'm choosing to focus on the part where I get to go home on time every day, rather than the likely aftermath and the general confusion about which Department I'm even going to work for in five weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm 

the Liberal's parental leave seemed unusually sane, until I read all of the references to "mothers", "women", etc. afaik, men are only entitled to 2 weeks of their full salary. so, no doubt, the same workplace bullshiitake will continue meaning the alleged "equality" will never arrive. sad.

waiting on a proper policy announcement..but from the Liberal Party, I'll be waiting a while :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:09 am 

So, any thoughts on the Animal Justice Party?

Their preferences are confusing. I mean, I get that they're putting small parties before the big ones, but really, what the fork? Katter, Palmer, Rise Up, Family First and even One Nation come in before the Greens. Please explain?

ETA For Vic anyway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 am 

seems everyone's putting everyone before the Greens at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:37 am 

Yes, that does seem to be the trend :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:41 am 

Except Labor have put the Greens second here. Despite seeming to attack them every chance they get...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:50 pm 

so the full policy document is out!
Quote:
The Coalition‟s scheme will allow the father to be nominated as the primary carer because this flexibility is important for modern families.

However, if a father is nominated as the primary carer rather than the mother, he will be able to access paid parental leave with payments to reflect the lower of his actual wage or the mother's actual wage, or national minimum wage (whichever is greater).

The reason why the Coalition‟s paid parental leave scheme is pegged to the mother's wage is to ensure there is not a perverse incentive to send a mother back to work early in order to access higher payments based on the father's wage, recognising that male average weekly earnings are higher at present than female earnings.

siiigh. I suppose actually working toward wage equality was too sensible, so they decided to just acknowledge that women are paid less and live with that

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joshua wrote:
siiigh. I suppose actually working toward wage equality was too sensible, so they decided to just acknowledge that women are paid less and live with that

This bothers me too, but the current scheme is that everyone gets minimum wage no matter what, so I'm kind of conflicted about that. Happy that parents get the same deal regardless of who is the primary carer, but minimum wage is a real struggle. We're not renting anything extravagant (although the Canberra rental market is a brutal circle of death and corpse-robbery), but I think we would really struggle to make rent, pay bills, eat and take care of an extra human without using savings if one of us were on minimum wage for six months. But we have good employer leave arrangements so we're hardly the 'target market' for the Government-funded scheme.

Chad worked on the current parental leave policy so we spoke about it briefly, and without saying too much (because we love the APS values!), there still seems to be some explaining to do regarding the huge cost of the proposed Coalition policy and the disconnect with a) the 'everyone is bad at the Budget except for us' campaign focus and b) the recommendations of the Productivity Commission inquiry. But I guess that all comes back to the ongoing costings transparency issue. We'll all find out the cuts in good time! It's just too bad if you need to submit a prior postal vote, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:14 pm 

oh totally. like I said originally, the proposal is unusually sane for the Coalition! it was almost a relief (to my worldview) to see some of the inequality mentioned despite them marketing it as "the bestest thing for women evar"

I'm still skeptical of his "convert's zeal". still feels more like "we need votes from women". because they have sex appeal! \o/