| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan cheese in australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have a friend who lives in Victoria, I think. Her son has a milk allergy so she was asking on facebook today if anyone knew of any cheeses without milk protein. I told her that I think cheezly is available. What other cheese options can she find?

Thanks~

Post subject: Re: vegan cheese in australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:33 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

notzarella! I was a big fan the once that I had it. seemed less "fake" than Daiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:35 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

where in Victoria are they? if they're in (or can get to) Melbourne, www.radicalgrocery.com in Brunswick is a safe place to find things

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm 

instant feedback! thanks so much i'll pass it on. her facebook says she lives in Frankston, which looks like it's about an hour drive to Melbourne, so I'm guessing with a baby she doesn't get there that often, but I let her know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If she's passing through the Melbourne CBD, Habib Wholefoods on Flinders Street definitely has Cheezly and often has Notzarella and Vegusto too.

She could also order Cheezly or Vegusto from either Vegan Online or the Cruelty Free Shop. I've ordered Cheezly from both and it got here quickly and was in a cold-pack. I ordered Notzarella directly from the company online once, but it wasn't cold-packed and the mail guy just put it in my letter box. It was a pretty warm day and I was in Sydney for work or something, and by the time I got home and retrieved it, it was ruined. So I don't recommend that option!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:43 pm 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh hey, Frankston!

Aum Shanti (veg cafe), 439 Nepean Hwy. Opposite McDonald's on Wells rd.

They stock Notzarella, and though I haven't eaten there it looks like a pretty good place to get a coffee and/lunch too. Plus they're super friendly.
I mostly refuse to go into 'health food' shops but they often have cheezly available so it's probably worth looking around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've also seen Sheese at some places in the inner Northern suburbs... Also tofutti products, including the cheese slices (it's hardly actually "cheese", but just in case).
And if your friend is keen on fancy spreadable raw cheeses, there's a Victorian company called Botanical Cuisine that I've started seeing around the place. They're really pricey, but they do all sorts of fancy little glass jars of raw cheesy things and dessert-y things (icecream, tiramisu, etc). The website is http://botanicalcuisine.com/

ETA: I just reread your original message and remembered that it's for her child. Well, maybe fancypants raw cheeses aren't exactly what she wants, then! But still, it's nice to know about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My husband loves Vegusto. It's pretty good. But for pizza/melty recipes, go for the Notzarella.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've totally given up on finding vegan cheese that tastes even slightly like cheese. I've tried every brand I can find in Australia (how they keep selling those vile, vinegary Tofutti slices both 'cheddar' and 'mozzarella' I'll never know) and nothing comes close in my opinion.

You would think with the prices they charge for them, that they could come up with something edible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone tried the melty Vegusto variety? Is it any good? I'm planning to go to Sydney at the end of the month and hope to make a trip to the cruelty free shop to pick up some goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Sorry ... double post ... see below

Last edited by dalron on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

amply_vegan wrote:
Has anyone tried the melty Vegusto variety? Is it any good? I'm planning to go to Sydney at the end of the month and hope to make a trip to the cruelty free shop to pick up some goodies.

Funny you should mention that today because I picked up a packet to buy at my local Go Vita health food this morning but when I saw it was nearly $12 for a piece about the size of cigarette packet, I put it back in the fridge.

I don't miss cheese THAT much. And going on all the other vegan cheeses I've tried it would probably end up in the bin anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

dalron wrote:
amply_vegan wrote:

Funny you should mention that today because I picked up a packet to buy at my local Go Vita health food this morning but when I saw it was nearly $12 for a piece about the size of cigarette packet, I put it back in the fridge.

I don't miss cheese THAT much. And going on all the other vegan cheeses I've tried it would probably end up in the bin anyway.

I know, the vegan cheese search is a really expensive risk!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 am 
So Totally Yiffy

amply_vegan wrote:

It sure is. I talked the Super IGA store in Blaxland (Blue Mountains) to get in Tofutti cheddar and mozzarella slices and they were awful - kind of sour or something. Nothing at all like cheese.

That store has quite a few vegan cheeses (they're all over the place to match their dairy counterparts) and you pass it on your way to and from Bathurst. It's opposite Blaxland railway station.

I use to buy a lot of stuff from the CFS but their prices went up when they opened the storefronts and with the cost of postage/courier they out of my price range now.

By the way, the Go Vita store in Katoomba (next to the new Coles) has the full range of Lamyong products plus quite a lot of other veg*n products such as Bounty Burgers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 am 
Tofu Pup

dalron wrote:
amply_vegan wrote:

It sure is. I talked the Super IGA store in Blaxland (Blue Mountains) to get in Tofutti cheddar and mozzarella slices and they were awful - kind of sour or something. Nothing at all like cheese.

That store has quite a few vegan cheeses (they're all over the place to match their dairy counterparts) and you pass it on your way to and from Bathurst. It's opposite Blaxland railway station.

I use to buy a lot of stuff from the CFS but their prices went up when they opened the storefronts and with the cost of postage/courier they out of my price range now.

By the way, the Go Vita store in Katoomba (next to the new Coles) has the full range of Lamyong products plus quite a lot of other veg*n products such as Bounty Burgers.

That's good to know. I'm planning vegan pilgrimage shopping during the Sydney Vegan festival weekend but options where I don't have to go all the way to Sydney are definitely helpful.
The Go Vita in Bathurst has been pretty good on trying to get in things I request. They are getting Coyo in this week!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I can't remember the name of the brand, but there was a vegan wine and cheese night last week in Melbourne - I think to test out some newly developed cheeses. I couldn't go along, but fingers crossed something delicious is on the way :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Green Edge in Brisbane is going to have Daiya very very soon (according to their FB).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

And to build on KoalaT's info... more Daiya in Australia.

FB post with information, that may or may not be true

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:39 am 
Tofu Pup

Okay, so finally got to Rubyfruit in Leura NSW. Besides being an awesome vegan cafe and bakery (I got three different kinds of cake to go!), they have a selection of vegan groceries. So I've now tried Vegusto No Moo melty and Cheezly morrarella.

I have to say out of the two I'm preferring the Cheezly, which actually reminds me of mozzarella when melted. The Vegusto Melty has a cheezy taste but kind of like Kraft cheese slices, which I always disliked. I tried them both as a topping for eggplant parm side by side. I might have to find something like a baked mac and cheese dish to use up the Vegusto. It is too expensive to throw out. I'm hoping I'll like it better mixed into a dish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 am 
Tofu Pup

I think overall I actually prefer my home made cashew cheese - there is magic in soaked chashews + miso + nooch!

I'm also still looking forward to trying Daiya.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:46 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

amply_vegan wrote:

I'm also still looking forward to trying Daiya.

I just hope it gets decent distribution. When you add courier costs to refrigerated products from the vegan stores, the price is just not worth it no matter how much you miss something like cheese.

Shops like Rubyfruit are OK for an occasional treat but way too expensive to go there regularly (and they have unfriendly opening hours).

When a certain vegan store opened shopfronts, their prices went up. I can now buy a lot of their products cheaper in supermarkets and health food stores.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

The only cheeses I've tried so far that I like the taste of are Vegusto Piquant and Cheezly Nacho. The Vegusto melty mozarella that comes in a twin pack of tubes is a little disappointing (and expensive!). For flavour and texture, I'd rather just stick to making my own almond and cashew cheese. Has anyone tried the Bio Cheese slices? They've got to be better than Tofutti slices, but I'm not game to spend 10 bucks on a pack of plastic cheese slices.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Karena wrote:
...... Has anyone tried the Bio Cheese slices?...

I haven't seen any Bio slices however I have tried the Bio block cheese. I thought it was tasteless on its own and left a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. It melted nicely in a Bio and tomato toastie but wouldn't brown or melt grated on toast under the griller.

At $40/Kg for Bio I won't buy it again and I'm going to give up on vegan cheeses altogether - I've thrown so many out and wasted a lot of money. I'm used to pizza without cheese and now prefer it. And if I want a cheesy sauce for anything I will one of the many nooch or cashew ones on the 'Net.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/10-vegan-cheeses-that-will-knock-your-socks-off/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 am 
Tofu Pup

Daiya is in Australia now. it melts great and places like the greenedge and cruelty free shop stock it. There is also a great cheese called bio cheese that you can have on biscuits or melted on a cheese toastie. It's a greek fasting cheese and its good. You can get it around melbourne and order online from the cruelty free shop like i have :) I like vegusto piquant even though the texture could be better. notzarella like everyone says is great too for melting.