| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aussie & NZ Thread!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

East Coasters (or anyone else with any helpful advice or experience): Wifeness and I are considering upping stumps for more meteorologically friendly climes up north. I'm pretty sure we've fixed our sights on somewhere between Byron Bay and the Sunshine Coast. Primary criteria is within an easy driving distance of the Gold Coast since the wife's coach lives there and she'd probably visit once or twice a month. We're not too keen on Brisbane proper mostly because I've had enough of bigger cities, and I'd rather I could go there when needed as opposed to having to escape when I'm sick of it.

I can work wherever there's power, so not super worried about local industry or opportunities. Basically... somewhere coastal or adjacent, not super touristy if we can at all avoid it, decent selection of shops and services within town, and hopefully some nice bush walking, bike riding and/or camping somewhere behind us. Just outside Byron and maybe Tweed Heads seem to be the top two at present, but we're open to suggestions, as we're heading up that way in March to explore further. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:13 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

my Mum lived in Crescent Head for years and that was pretty forking rad. seems like it's super touristy now though, bambow. maybe that's just in the summer? who knows. but it's pretty damn rad, and reasonably close to a decent town (Kempsey), and about an hour from Coffs. my Nan lives in Grafton, and there's a pretty rad range of vegan and organic things there for a town that otherwise seems quite bleak.

I think you could pick virtually anywhere along that stretch of coast and make some fun out of it. Wooli and Minnie Water have some pretty special beachtimez. towns themselves are..lacking. dunno.

I've camped and wandered through plenty of places around there.. nothing terribly bad to say about any of it. I think you could make pretty much anywhere work - they're all virtually the same, to a reasonable degree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Looks like we're heading up to have a look February 6th through the 9th. Flying in to Brisvegas, hiring a car to our base camp at Tweed Heads South, and meandering up, down and around from there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Fantastic!

Have a look around. The Sunshine Coast is *lovely*. But that's not really where you wanted to be.

A lot of places between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are scary. But close to veg food.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:36 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

mattomic wrote:
Have a look around. The Sunshine Coast is *lovely*. But that's not really where you wanted to be. A lot of places between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are scary. But close to veg food.

We haven't ruled out the Sunshine Coast, or even Byron Bay proper. I'd even consider Noosa Heads.

Wherever looks nice and seems to have the best balance of what we're after. Property to keep horses is one of the main criteria, as I'm sure at least two will be in tow. Wherever we end up will be at least a little bit inland as a result. Unless these Tatts numbers come through in the next short while, beachfront equestrian property is out of the question.

It'd be nice to have some accommodating restaurants in the area, but to be honest, we eat out so little due to the non-existent selection where we are now, I'm loathe to part with $30 for mains anymore unless it's something better than good, as I know I can cook like royalty in exile on half that.

The Goldie doesn't interest me, but that's something of an unfounded bias as I've never been.

I'll bother you for drinks and dinner when we're closer to it. Start practicing excuses now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:40 pm 

Peregian is lovely! All around that area is nice. Secluded, etc. But it's Sunshine Coast.

Property to keep horses is something that I have no idea about... you'd need a lot of space, and I'm an inner-city dweller (whoops.. where is my double soy decaf latte?!)

The restaurants aren't too expensive, here. and Loving Hut in Mt Gravatt is probably our best, and it's around $10 a main - but it's pretty much the only halfway vegetarian decent place to eat (personal opinion). We generally eat at omni places when we eat out.

The Gold Coast isn't my thing at all either, but the food is fantastic. Amazing vegan pizza, and amazing vegan (except for one item) yum cha. Perfecto. So I wouldn't want to be too far from the Gold Coast!

Sounds good!! Just be careful driving around this time of year. Everyone's goiong nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:20 am 
Inflexitarian

Maaaatt! I'm now following your blog (well, from my blogroll — I don't do the feed thing). Love the look of it! Mine's been largely-dormant in recent months, so I'm updating links and lists and whatnot. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:30 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Happy new year everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:21 am 
Inflexitarian

And to you over there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

hehe. just saw your lowjack sameness. i had actually been reading about you wanting to move around here, but because i personally would *hate* to drive to the goldy from here even once a week, i didn't weigh in on the discussion...but i just re-read your post and it's only once or twice a month! so that's totally manageable. (hey, i'm pregnant and super-vague is my default setting at the moment :P )

but, if you want my opinion, the sunshine coast is beautiful and doesn't have the pretense of the gold coast or the clique-i-ness of the byron area. i have found the nnsw crew to be really unwelcoming, unless they see you as someone uber-awesome and alternative, but maybe that's just me? i live just out of maleny, which is a little town on top of the blackall range. green rolling hills and lovely pockets of rainforest, and of course, our climate is always a few degrees cooler than the rest of the coast - which i love. there's a good health food store, a good iga and a vegan/vegetarian cafe (basically vegan, but you can get milk in your coffee and some of the cakes have honey).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Awesome. Thanks for that. I think I'm starting to feel the Blackalls vibe a bit.

(P.S.: Bald Knob.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:19 am 
Chip Strong

My shed cafe, the (hearty) beet, had its last brunch today. Sad day! But I'm ready to have my Saturdays back. I reckon we'll try to do it again next summer if we're both still interested and living in Melbourne. On the menu today we had: the ever-popular scrambled tofu; french toast with maple syrup; and portobello-guacamole-roasted veg stacks, with massaged kale and grated beetroot and carrot, toast on the side. The last were courtesy of my cooking partner, Ania, and were apparently delicious (they were a limited-edition item, we only made 10, and they sold out in the first 1 1/2 hours or something). We had a really busy day today and sold out of all the food, all the coffee, all the homemade non-alco ginger beer... all that was left was a couple of scrapings of ice and about half a bottle of organic orange juice, plus a few condiments (including some that people had made and brought along - tomato chutney, kimchi, and plum jam featured).

It was a big success in our eyes - I don't think we made much money off it in the end (we've yet to count up), but that wasn't really the aim. What we did manage to do was bring together a bunch of people who we care about, plus some new people too, in a friendly, daytime, non-alcohol-oriented setting, which was really awesome and positive. We've gotten heaps of really positive feedback about it, and we both feel really proud and good about what we've achieved.
Maybe next summer we'll even see some PPKers there?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:22 am 

holy. that sounds pretty amazingly awesome. not just the food, but the entire experience of bringing everyone together. that is wonderful!

and, if you ask me, you should pull together a reunion in March so I can experience this awesomeness :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:54 pm 
Chip Strong

You can catch us both (Ania and I) at the Melbourne Uni Food Co-op, we're both co-ordinators there this year..... won't be quite the same as the beet, but definitely good cheap food! If any PPKers are visiting Melbourne anytime they should totally look me up there. Maybe I'll even try to make bulk nooch happen (but no promises, the others might not go for it).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

faaaaaantastic, count me in :) I'll let you know when I'll be in town so you can make extra-shiny noms :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

That's really inspiring gunk! I'd love to set up a table at uni baked goods, sandwiches/salads and pamphlets about making compassionate choices and going vegan. I'm going to do something about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

where the hell can i find kale in melbourne? the only place i can find it in a supermarket is mixed with other leaves in a bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 am 
Chip Strong

Psarakos fruit and veg in Thornbury, corner Clarendon St and High St (across the road from Naturally On High) is the cheapest and most reliable source I've found. Not organic, but they often have two different kinds. 86 tram will get you there, or the 510 bus from Sydney Rd (I feel like you mentioned being near Brunswick). Actually, Naturally On High sometimes have kale in their new organic fruit and veg section. Also on the 86 line is the Organic Fruit Pedallers in Westgarth, they have it too (incidentally, they're the cheapest organic fruit and veg I've found in Melbourne, really good prices on stuff).
There's a really bougie organics place on Lygon St (of course) that has kale, but I think it's expensive and not heaps for your money.... can't remember what it's called, but it's near Sugardough, and it was the first place I found kale in Melbourne so I have a soft spot for it even though I've since found better sources.

What about La Manna on Sydney Rd? The wholefoods/organics part, not the huge fruit and veg bit. Do they have it? I've never checked it out, but might be worth a look if you haven't already.
Also, maybe CERES has kale at their farmer's market. Again, I haven't checked it out so I can't be sure.

There is a weird dearth of kale in this city. I've managed to find some to get my fix, but seriously Melbourne, what's going on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I think it's just not that popular in Australia yet. The only place I can reliably get it up here is at the organic farmers markets, occasionally I see it elsewhere.

I'm coming to Melbourne 10 Feb!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

grow your own kale! that shiitake is super easy to grow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:03 am 
Chip Strong

Oh yay, Veglicious! We should hang out, if you're keen. I'm currently couchsurfing, otherwise I'd offer you a place to stay as well (but you've probably got plenty of friends here to crash with anyway).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My brother is moving to Melbourne this year, so I might be around more often. He starts work in April so we'll probably drive down sometime in late March/early April to take him Ikea shopping (it's his first move out of home, awww). It's just an excuse for fries, really.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm 

I grew some kale, but my landlady stole it - pot and all. Not game to get another one yet.

It's getting a little bit more common/popular now, markets often have it, and fruit and veg stores can often get it in/have it. I get mine from The Green Edge (our vegan store).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm 
Chip Strong

Erinnerung wrote:
My brother is moving to Melbourne this year, so I might be around more often. He starts work in April so we'll probably drive down sometime in late March/early April to take him Ikea shopping (it's his first move out of home, awww). It's just an excuse for fries, really.

Come to the Melbourne Uni Food Co-op!
(Can you tell I'm really excited about my new job there? Also about potentially meeting Australian PPKers).

Also, so cute and lovely that you are helping your brother get furniture.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i only have a tiny concrete courtyard, and my attempts at growing vegetables in pots have been thwarted by infestations of whitefly so i'm ruling out growing my own. but now that you mention it, I did once find kale at the CERES market but it went bad in my fridge before i decided how to use it. im in brunswick, formerly northcote, so i'm familiar with those shops and will definitely check them out. thanks!
has anyone eaten kale chips before? i'm not quite sure what theyre meant to be. like potato chips? or completely different?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 56  Next