| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aussie & NZ Thread!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Kale Chips are kinda hard to describe. Definitely not like potato chips.. Just kind of kale that is crispy/crunchy, but still yummy and not burnt tasting, with seasonings.. Closer to beetroot chips, but still not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

They're so yummy! I like the loving earth red kale chips. My sister tasted some of mine the other day and thought they tasted a bit like nori (in a good way). I don't think so. Just like spices and wholesomeness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Growing kale in Melbourne is super easy - I had this lovely big plant and just plucked off bigger leaves when I wanted it, but my dear possums ate it all up and now it's looking a bit sick.

Does anyone know where I can find habaneros in Melbourne? I'm trying to grow some, but without any luck yet. Where can I buy fresh ones?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been growing kale and it's doing really well but I really dislike kale chips, ick.

MissMelbourne - you probably won't find fresh habaneros unless you find a chilli grower at a veg market, I haven't been able to find fresh ones in Sydney. If you know a good local Mex/Latin restaurant call them and ask but you might find they used dried ones which you can order online.

I have 6 habanero plants, none have produced chillis yet but my jalapeño did so I have high hopes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:55 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

missmelbourne wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find habaneros in Melbourne? I'm trying to grow some, but without any luck yet. Where can I buy fresh ones?

I find them infrequently in Coles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

is anyone here going to see one of the Lyn White talks?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:08 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

joshua wrote:

Er, pardon my ignorance, but who? what? when? where? why?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 am 

VeganGeorgie wrote:
joshua wrote:

Er, pardon my ignorance, but who? what? when? where? why?

she was behind the program that exposed the treatment of cattle in the live export trade to Indonesia last year. she's a general ass-kicker (not sure her official title - director?) at Animals Australia

the talks are across the country at: http://animalsaustralia.org/events/an-e ... lyn-white/

if anyone else was going, I'd tag along.. not sure where I'll be on any particular dates yet :) but if I had a reason to be somewhere, it might as well be this

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Oh! Now I know, sounds cool. Will consider.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 am 

well I'm tossing up between syd/mel/adl, so let me know if you decide on one of those :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:02 am 
Inflexitarian

I got the e-mail today. I might go along to the one in Sydney (21st February), but I'll have to double-check my diary etc. I wonder if Kitteh or some non-PPKers I know might be going...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 am 

yeah, I feel like Sydney would be the more social of my chances to get along. I should start figuring out dates soon then I suppose :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:48 am 
Tofu Pup

For anyone in Melbourne still searching for kale - they have it at Organic Gertrude in Fairfield. I saw it today for $3.50 a bunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 am 
Inflexitarian

joshua wrote:
yeah, I feel like Sydney would be the more social of my chances to get along. I should start figuring out dates soon then I suppose :)

Eep! I hadn't noticed the price until now; definitely didn't expect it to be $55. I realise it's a fundraiser (isn't it?), but I'll really have to think about whether I want to spend that on one short evening out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am back in the country! I was in Adelaide for a few days and it was too hot, I did not care for it one bit. But I did get to eat a bunch of delicious things and now I'm homesick (for vegan burgers mostly). Blargh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 am 

Excuse the caps, but did YOU GUYS KNOW YOU CAN GET VEGAN CREAM LIQUEUR?!
We went to Stanthorpe the other day, to a place called "Castle Glen", which does liqueurs - including caramel creme, chocolate creme, all crazy kinds of cream and other flavoured liqueurs, and everything, including their wines, (other than honey things and fudge), is vegan, natural, no preservatives, etc. Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh. They're so crazy delicious.

I posted the details of our day out on our blog, but their website is www.castleglenaustralia.com - I'm trying to get The Green Edge to stock them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

Guys, what do you think of The Global Mail website that launched yesterday? I read an article early this morning, and it seems like a worthwhile addition to the media landscape. I even quite like the unusual format (horizontal scrolling for one thing). http://www.theglobalmail.org/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh, Australia. That abattoir footage. I only read about it and didn't dare watch, but just reading was bad enough. Can we all just hug the shiitake out of each other for a little while, please? :,(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm 

I am pretty stoked that there was action against the abattoir though. not that even "humane" slaughter is okay in my (or any of our) books. but at least a line was drawn, and the authorities moved pretty quickly on it. we just have to work on moving that line closer and closer to any slaughter at all being unacceptable :)

alas, epicmegahugs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thank you. Felt genuinely awful all day on Friday. Agreed: it's good that action was swift. Of course, since Thursday, it's come out that there were inspections (four I think) previously, so... Your mind starts going places it really shouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hey Aussie peeps, the husband and I are headed to Melbourne for the first time in two weeks, anyone got any must-see or must-eat tips? I've read a few veganmelbourne blogs and have some food tips, but keen to hear any recent experiences or advice on how to make the most of our time : )

We're staying in St Kilda, there for four nights and going to Soundwave on Friday so we've basically got 3.5 days to play with for touristy stuff/eating till we fall down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 pm 

hmmz, Soul Mama has reopened in St Kilda again apparently, so I'd be checking that out. and there's a Lentil as Anything in St Kilda (it was never my favourite location, but worth checking out!)

if I were you though, I'd spend a day/evening on the north of the river, up in Fitzroy. Wood Spoon Kitchen has _fucking amazing_ agedashi tofu, and it's worth it to stroll along Smith Street for Las Vegan and Trippy Taco (though I think they moved up to Gertrude?) and along to Vegan Wares. then jump over to Brunswick Street and hit Yong Green, then back over to Vegie Bar for desserts.

if you're in Richmond at lunch time, jump into Tofu Shop International for a bowl of delicious.

and if you're feeling adventurous, get up Sydney Road to the Radical Grocery.. it's an all-vegan grocery store, but with morals in excess of just veganism.. she'll make sure palm oil is ethically sourced, for example :) and if you're up in that general area, the East Brunswick does vegan pub meals (fish and chips, chicken parma, etc)

and there's Monk Bodhi Dharma in rouuuuugh (but not really) proximity to St Kilda, which does a pretty killer brunch type deal.. and probably more - I've only been there once!

if you can find one (Radical is probably your best bet?) there's an Australian Veg Food Guide thing that will have about 80 pages worth of Melbourne based veg-friendly restaurants, so you can probably find something pretty close to wherever you are :)

I'll drag moodfornoodles in because my knowledge is a bit out of date.. she might have some more awesome suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

holy hell there's even more than I thought!
I read some reviews that Soul Mama has awesome views but not the best food??

I have Las Vegan and Trippy Taco written down, [TT is on Gertrude, at least according to my googling], and Soul Food on Smith Street as well?
Wood Spoon Kitchen definitely sounds worth a look though!

And the husband will definitely like the sound of vegan pub meals!

Another question for anyone familiar with Melbourne: it seems like there is so much awesome [cheap!] vegan food around, is it worth going to Shakahari and paying a bit more? I have seen some outstanding reviews but we are totally on a budget, and don't eat out at home ever so the idea of sinking all this cash is kind of overwhelming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joshua has listed most of the important places. Having said that - Soul Mama has a nice view and its a nice idea, but its expensive and the food isn't that great. Lentil as Anything is definitely worth a visit just for the novelty of paying what you think your meal is worth, plus its in St Kilda. There's also a Veg Out Time in St Kilda, if you just want some cheap curry takeaway for dinner.
Yong Green on Brunswick Street is delicious but tables are limited so you might have to line up and wait.
I have a soft spot for The East Brunswick Club vegan parmas, regardless of how slow the service is because eating vegan food in a pub is awesome. If you go on a Tuesday you can play pop trivia, and there's a tram stop right outside the front door. If you like pub food, also check out Gasometer on Smith Street. They serve american style diner food in a pub setting (think Chick'n & Waffles, Buffalo tofu salad & jalapeno cornbread).
I will also add the La Panella bakery on High Street in Preston for vegan donuts, turnovers, jam tarts and the best sausage rolls and 'meat' pies around. Also, if you are eating out for breakfast or brunch, Soul Food cafe on Smith St, Collingwood makes a great vegan monster breakfast. There's also the new Mercy Seat cafe in Collingwood that takes over the 99 Problems nightclubs during the day. The menu selection is small (about 9 items) but its all veg and they make a yummy tofu scramble.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 pm 

Trippy Taco! Trippy Taco! Trippy Taco!
and La Panella. And the Vegie Bar. Those are my top 3 must-eats.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 56  Next