| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aussie & NZ Thread!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

signed :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

how... perceptive of you.

We did cook it, and we didn't eat the entire thing. It was a lot of things, but delicious probably wasn't one of them.

And far too rich - I can eat two batches of cookies, or four servings of pasta - easy, but.. I couldn't handle half the pudding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm 

thank you, madam dahlia!

repeating, as it's a new page:
If any of you support Same-Sex Civil Unions, or even gay marriage, etc - Queensland is having a conscience vote on whether to allow this tonight, and it's looking very, very close.
For full details, a petition from the Deputy Premier to support it, and what you can do to help - can you please see my blog post here:
http://jamesandmatt.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... civil.html
Would really appreciate your help, guys. Unfortunately all of the electorates are getting hammered by organised religious groups who are very anti civil unions and gay marriage.. and today is the day!

aaaaand.. I added a bonus other post of a handsome vegan man in a singlet with a cat! WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Look on the bright side: You don't owe me a new belt!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I signed the petition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 pm 

Thank you, all of you girls and guys. What a fantastic result - the Civil Unions bill was passed, 47 for, 40 against (with the LNP party voting as a bloc, all opposing the bill).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I'm guessing the wedding will feature at least half a delicious Christmas pudding. See you there!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah! i saw the result on facebook today :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

So pleased about the ALP platform change. Shame about the conscience vote getting up, but that just gives me a new excuse to write to my local MP (who, last I heard, opposes same-sex marriage — but I wonder if the platform change will encourage a whole lot of politically expedient "epiphanies"... )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 pm 

Unfortunately, the LNP party have said they will repeal the bill if they get in next election, and the paperwork hasn't been completed.

An Independent MP, Rob Messenger, is also working on a repeal of the bill.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 am 
Inflexitarian

Excuse the ignorance, but when is the next Queensland election? I suppose the LNP might get their way before any changes at Federal level that would trump that, but maybe it wouldn't be long before the Marriage Act was corrected. Of course, that's for marriage, and I know some people prefer the idea of civil unions (though I'm not so sure that's the case in Australia...?)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:55 am 

I don't think the date has been announced yet. I think it will be within the next 6 months - which is how long it is thought that it will take to get the Civil Unions stuff organised, before anyone can have one.

I think if Federal Govt approves marriage or civil unions, then that trumps state law. But it's highly doubtful they will - with both our Prime Minister and Opposition Leader stating that they believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and not showing any signs of wanting Civil Unions.

I think the end goal is definitely Marriage, but Civil Unions are a step along the path, or an option for those who don't want marriage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 am 
Inflexitarian

mattomic wrote:
I think if Federal Govt approves marriage or civil unions, then that trumps state law. But it's highly doubtful they will - with both our Prime Minister and Opposition Leader stating that they believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and not showing any signs of wanting Civil Unions.

I dunno... I am feeling more hopeful since the weekend; a lot still has to fall into place — like the Liberals also allowing a conscience vote (or changing their platform, but that's not very likely), and enough individual MPs coming on board. But like I said, while the ALP conscience vote decision is disappointing, I'm wondering if the platform change will bring some more MPs on board rather than cross the floor. Also, though I don't know the details of it, apparently it will have to be a private member's Bill. I'm curious to see what happens when parliament returns next year. The stuff on the weekend at least gave the feeling that the ALP is moving on it to an extent, regardless of what Gillard believes.

On Queensland, I just found this to read. Yeah, it doesn't sound good for the ALP/Bligh. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:20 am 
Inflexitarian

Just found this article: http://www.smh.com.au/national/bill-would-not-get-support-say-the-number-crunchers-20111205-1ofjf.html
Quote:
One Labor operative who has begun calculating numbers, estimated about 50 of the 72 Labor MPs in the lower house support same-sex marriage. Of these, a handful would not vote for it in the Parliament for fear of an electoral backlash, he said.

So who are they, and should MPs like that be approached to ensure their vote, as well as the ones whose minds need to be changed?

And this...
Quote:
A senior Liberal who has begun doing rough numbers in the Coalition said there would be 15 to 20 Liberals in favour of gay marriage but that included MPs and senators. No Nationals are expected to support same-sex marriage although Barnaby Joyce supports a conscience vote.

is just really depressing. I will never understand the opposition to it. As I heard someone say the other day: it's not often parliament gets to consider a bill that literally will cause no harm to anyone (but a lot of joy for many).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:23 am 
Chip Strong

Not related to the political discussion:

My queer vegan houseboi shed cafe opens tomorrow! My friend and I have been prepping today, fixing up various bits and pieces, doing last-minute shopping, and generally getting psyched. We're having a pancake party later to make sure we've got our pancake mojo on. Hopefully it's gonna be awesome. Melbourne is going to be stormy, but with any luck our hungover friends will still come - they'll still need brunch, after all.
Think good thoughts for us! And if you're in the area, PM me for the address and come along for some cheap and tasty vegan eats!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:33 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

That's awesome gunk!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

gunk wrote:
My queer vegan houseboi shed cafe opens tomorrow!

How'd you go? Come the new year, I'll definitely drag the wife out for a feed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:13 am 
Chip Strong

It was really great, lots and lots of lovely friends/acquaintances showed up, we made a small amount of profit to put towards the next one (really I'm just happy that we broke even, which is basically what we were planning to do), and most importantly, had lots of fun. Everyone I've spoken to really enjoyed it as well. We were very busy for a while there, and completely sold out of all the food by the end of the day, which was perfect. The scrambled tofu was a huge hit and sold out early, so we'll be keeping it on our menu (everything else is revolving, three main dishes each week).

We'll be running the first Saturday in January, and after that on hiatus as Ania will be away.... so come on the 7th if you can!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Hey New Zealanders! I need your help please. I want to send a package of sweets (or, as my NZ cousins call them, lollies) to my relatives on Waiheke Island. The list below is things I'm thinking of sending. Please can you tell me if they are already easily available where you are? I don't want to send stuff they'd be able to buy every day!

Sherbet lemons (boiled sweets with sherbet inside)
Sherbet dip-dab (sherbet with a lollipop that you lick and dip in the sherbet)
Kendall mint cake
Sherbet flying saucers
Cola cubes (boiled sweets)
Pineapple chunks (boiled sweets)
Love Heart roll of sweets
Parma Violet roll of sweets
Raspberry Ruffles (raspberry flavour coconut covered in chocolate)

The reason for the emphasis on sherbet is that my uncle didn't seem to think there was much over there but he's not really a sweet eater so probably just doesn't see it if it's already there.

Or is there anything you've heard about that you know you can't get over there?

Thanks!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 pm 

Oh yeah, and I probably shouldn't have asked when everyone was likely to be sleeping!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:00 pm 

dropscone, I have never *heard* of any of those things, and I am in Australia! So I'd say you're safe, but I'd check with an NZ-er!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

dropscone, I don't think you can get any of those in NZ. I recall something similar to a sherbet dip-dab from when I was a kid but haven't seen them in years. And I definitely can't think of anywhere you'd be able to buy them on Waiheke.

I can't really think of anything else that isn't on your list - maybe those Tesco rhubarb and cream boiled lollies (ahem, sweets)? I thought they were gross when I finally tried them, though.

And you should ask your cousin to send you some spacemen 'cigarette' lollies. I haven't had any since I was about 10, but I'm pretty sure they're vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm 

Oh, that's great! I'll get a parcel off to them tomorrow in that case. Don't expect it'll get to them by Christmas but never mind!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

you can get some of that stuff but its super $$$ so im sure it'll be welcome in a package.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:54 pm 

Feel kinda dirty spruiking the blog, but The Vegan Store gave me some chocolate, and we're running a giveaway on our blog that closes tonight, for some bonvita organic, fair trade, gluten free, etc etc rice milk christmas chocolate stuff.

No one is entering, and it's freaking me out (it's our first giveaway!!). If you would like to enter, it closes tonight, and the link is here http://jamesandmatt.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... olate.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 56  Next