| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joshua Tree/Palm Springs area
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

So, we're heading to San Diego for my sister's wedding and after almost a week of LOTS o' family, hoping to escape for a day or so with my partner, his sister and our 2 kids. Been looking around for somewhere to go - since we have an infant, it doesn't seem like so great an idea to go metropolitan since it's still a bit iffy going to restaurants etc with her (although we are dying to try the many awesome sounding L.A./Santa Monica-area vegan restaurants! maybe when she's older.) Anyway, partner has expressed interest in just spending a day at Joshua Tree, then staying overnight in that area. Would love some suggestions for easy hikes, casual places to get decent food, anything please!

Post subject: Re: Joshua Tree/Palm Springs area
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I grew up in Palm Springs, and there was not a whole lot there 15 years ago. And I was an on again off again vegetarian back them too.

Since I go back occasionally, and love Joshua tree, I would love to hear any reccomendations people have, as far as places to eat go

I did go ahead and do a yelp search under 'vegan' and 'palm springs' and 'joshua tree' and got some results. Man, a lot more options than when I used to live there! I am happily surprised to see veggie places in Joshua Tree. I want to go back up there when the weather cools down a bit. I LOVE that place. So beautiful.

Palm Springs:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ve ... 6ff6a85f41

Joshua Tree
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&f ... _filters=1

I would head up to Joshua tree and check out one of the vegan cafes they have up there. Looks like they have a couple now! And definitly hit up Joshua Tree National Monument. Even if you have small children, check out Jumbo Rocks. Its an easy drive inside the monument, and has some really easy short hikes. Then drive out to Key's View, which overlooks the entire Coachella Valley. It is so amazing.

If you stay in Palm Springs, then make sure you go to the Palm Canyons, which are right up against the mountain. Very very beautiful oasis there. Nice, easy hikes, you could take the kids for sure. If you have time/money you could go up the tram to the top of the mountian, but if I were you, I would enjoy the desert! The indian canyons are so cool. If you stay in the Valley (not up to Joshua Tree, its a couple hours drive) I would eat at Native Foods in Palm Desert. It is like a 20 minute drive from the indian canyons, but worth it. That place rocks! and that was the first location, years ago.

Have fun! I am getting the urge to go back now...it happens every once in a while haha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Chicki wrote:
If you stay in the Valley (not up to Joshua Tree, its a couple hours drive) I would eat at Native Foods in Palm Desert. It is like a 20 minute drive from the indian canyons, but worth it. That place rocks! and that was the first location, years ago.

According to the Native Foods website, the Palm Springs (it doesn't list a Palm Desert address) location is closed until late October 2012 for expansion/remodel. I ate there many years ago and loved it.

Have a great time! I love the desert.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Native Foods is def worth the trip! And Palm Springs/Joshua Tree is perfect this time of year. Hope you have an amazing time!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:36 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Just got back from Palm Springs on Tuesday. Palm Greens was good with a large amount of vegan options, as well as meat. I assume Yardhouse has the same menu across the country? There's one in Palm Springs but I didn't get a chance to go while I was there. I would also check the weather before going there as I was not that stoked on 110 degree weather.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey All!

For my mom's 60th birthday, I surprised her with a trip to Palm Springs! We're going end of January and have our plane tickets and lodging all squared away, but I'm still looking into the food. She's an omni, but is fine with eating vegan. Looks like we should check out Palm Greens and Native Foods. But what else?

Searching yelp makes me think that Jiao and Miro's might have some vegan options (might call) - hoping so, because one night I'd like to take her to a fancy dinner. But are there any other good spots to eat? Perhaps a good mexican food place?

Thanks!

Of Capsicums & Things."