| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel/suburb suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hey Cali-vegans!

I'm going to be in L.A for 5-6 days mid-May and unlike Portland and NYC, I don't have a conference to attend, so there's no where in particular I need to be close to. I was wondering if anyone had any suburb/hotel suggestions? I'd like to be close to the beach, but I'm sure that will be pricey and might not be all that convenient for sight seeing?

Any tips would be great! I'm going to go through the food threads to figure out where I should be visiting :)

Post subject: Re: Hotel/suburb suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What are you looking to do in la? I'm guessing santa Monica would be closer to places you want to visit but it's also super pricey! I don't know la too well. My father in law lives in redondo beach, which is pretty burb-y and has nice beaches, so you might find what youre looking for there!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi Kitteh!

L.A. is very spread out, so it would be really helpful to know what types of things you'd like to do while you're here. Anyplace near the beach will be more expensive to stay, but it will be really nice. Keep in mind that in May we have "May Gray" which means that there's usually a heavy marine layer (fog/haze) all day, every day (it lasts through June, which we call "June Gloom"). The temperatures will be nice, but it might not be as sunny as you would expect it to be.

Santa Monica and Venice are both great areas with lots of fun stuff to do and great vegan options. I live in Hollywood (near Melrose & Vine). When I have friends come to visit, these are the types of things I like to take them to:

The Getty
Santa Monica Pier
Beaches from Venice down to Santa Monica
Venice skate park & boardwalk
La Brea Tar Pits (on Museum Row, along with the LA County Museum of Art, a very cool Craft & Folk Art Museum, nice park, food trucks on weekend)
Arclight Hollywood (for a great L.A. movie-going experience)
Shakespeare in the Park (in Griffith Park)
Hiking in Griffith Park
The Hollywood Sign
The Griffith Observatory
Downtown L.A.: Grand Park, MOCA, the Disney Concert Hall (designed by Frank Gehry) (there are now some great vegan options downtown, like Localita and Pizzanista)
...There's lots more, depending on your interests...

I generally avoid the Hollywood Walk of Fame area -- it's kind of a pit (I hope I don't offend anyone).

Will you have a rental car? If not, you'll need to stay near transit, which will limit your choices.

Let me know -- I'd love to help!

Jen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I love the beach down by Mar Vista, I think it is? Just a bit south of Venice. It's nice a quiet and I like to ride my bike there. It's close to the el Segundo Whole Foods, (and the Venice WF for that matter) so maybe just a place to spend an afternoon if you can or want to get your hands on a bike or rollerblades or just walk. If you do go to the el Segundo WF, there is a Sur La Table in that complex (and Veggie Grill as well) but Sur La Table is pretty awesome for fun kitchen stuff and it's right there. I'm partial to it because I got my most favorite stainless steel pan there, some fancy European brand that was $$$ but I use it every time I cook and it's worth every penny I paid for it for how evenly it heats using low heat and I can wax rhapsodic on that pan for a good while so I will stop here.

Cafe Gratitude in Venice is what I crave most (I mostly live in SD) but I also love RFD.

One of these days I want to hike to the Hollywood sign. Griffith Park is great. I second the Tar Pits. The auto museum is world class as well, and more interesting than one might think if one isn't so into cars to begin with. It's right by the tar pits. Also in that part of town is Erewhon which is one of my favorite health food stores in the world with many raw options and these crazy expensive smoothies with all sort of ingredients that give you superpowers.

You Bar is also right across from Erewhon and though I have never been in there I love their product. I suppose the Hollywood Frmrs Mkt is also right there as well, which many rave about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thank you all so much, I am so excited to visit! I ended up booking yesterday, I'm staying between Beverley Hills and Central LA. I probably won't rent a car, but I do have a friend in Porter Ranch and she'll be able to take me out a few days. Shame about the weather, but I'm sure it won't bother me too much & thanks for the warning :)

Thanks for the list of things to do, I just read a book set in LA and it mentioned Griffith Observatory and the Arclight so they both went on my list :) I'll be there for 5 days and then back again at the end of my trip for another 4 days before I fly home.

Closer to May I'll see if anyone wants to meet up :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Excellent! Definitely let me know if you want to meet up, or want any more suggestions. (The weather won't be crappy... it just might not be super sunny every day...) :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

It would be better if you browse online on what are the best things to do in LA before traveling to, I think it is the best thing to do before anything else. I hope it helps. :D