| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New vegan or vegan-friendly LA restaurants
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

jessikitty wrote:
Another new favorite is Azla Vegan near USC. Delicious all vegan Ethiopian food. The owners are super nice, too. They also do a once a month brunch club that is worth checking out!

Thanks for the heads up on this one! We're hoping to go to the LA Times Festival of Books which is held on the USC campus in April; maybe we'll check out Azla afterward!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Hey thanks everyone. I ate VERY well last weekend thanks to your recommendations

Mud Hen Tavern was was AWESOME. Like, one of the best meals I have had in my LIFE. Top ten for sure. The Walnut Chorizo was amazeballs. The cocktails were awesome too. And the whole meal was very reasonably priced for a nice restaurant!

Then went to Millies the next day for breakfast. Also awesome.

My friends liked both places as much as I did too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

yay! so glad it worked out! i need to check out mud hen tavern. i had mixed feelings when it was Street. this makes me wanna give it a shot!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

icy wrote:
yay! so glad it worked out! i need to check out mud hen tavern. i had mixed feelings when it was Street. this makes me wanna give it a shot!

Yes, thank you for letting us know how it went!

I really liked Street the one or two times I ate there (I discovered it not that long before it closed). When Mud Hen Tavern's menu was first posted, there weren't as many vegan or vegan-adaptable options as there are now. Your posts got me to visit their site again-- I'm happy to see the menu is more accommodating now, and that they'll be offering a brunch soon! I'll have to check it out.

What did you have at Millie's, Chicki?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:39 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I had the vegan Chilliquiles. They were AWESOME. I was a bit hungover, so they really hit the spot.

if I go there again, wanna try one of the many scrambles they have. They looked amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chicki wrote:
I had the vegan Chilliquiles. They were AWESOME. I was a bit hungover, so they really hit the spot.

if I go there again, wanna try one of the many scrambles they have. They looked amazing.

Good to know this. I've never been there but maybe I should check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am 
Saggy Butt

Chicki, how far in advance did you make your reservation at Mud Hen Tavern? I'm going to LA in two months and when I looked at reservations there, they were showing nothing available between 5-8 pm on a Sunday night. I'm wondering if it is just that popular or if they haven't opened everything for reservations yet. The menu looks great, and would also make the nonvegan family members happy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone here eaten at Gracias Madre in West Hollywood? Apparently it's an all vegan Mexican restaurant from the owners of Cafe Gratitude. It's been around since January but I only just found about it. What do you think of it PPKers? Is it good?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:40 am 
Saggy Butt

I went to the Gracias Madre in San Francisco and loved it. I haven't been to this one yet, but I'll be in LA in a couple of weeks and it's high on my list of places to try.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks Akasha, that's great to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am 

I thought it was great! But like cafe gratitude, over-priced. But the food is very tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

icy wrote:
I thought it was great! But like cafe gratitude, over-priced. But the food is very tasty.

Good to know. I looked at their menu online and it looks good, but yelp reviews are a bit less enamored of it than of Cafe Gratitude. It has 3 1/2 stars on average where as Cafe Gratitude has 4.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

zinnia wrote:
Chicki, how far in advance did you make your reservation at Mud Hen Tavern? I'm going to LA in two months and when I looked at reservations there, they were showing nothing available between 5-8 pm on a Sunday night. I'm wondering if it is just that popular or if they haven't opened everything for reservations yet. The menu looks great, and would also make the nonvegan family members happy.

Just a few days before for a Friday night reservation on opentable.com guess I got lucky!

We still waited like 20-30 minutes with the res too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

I recently heard about another new vegan Thai restaurant with a good reputation--Araya's Place in Beverly Grove. Now I love Satdha to bits and I find it hard to believe that Araya's Place could possibly top it--but it has the distinction of being the only vegan restaurant in Los Angeles to earn a five star average rating on Yelp. Apparently it's also part of a three restaurant chain originating in Seattle. The Beverly Grove location has been open since January. Has anyone here eaten there yet, and if so, what did you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

YurtGirl wrote:
I second LA Vegan Crepe. I love that place. Free wifi, relaxing setting, and yes, yes, yes on the napolean!!! The owner and waitstaff are super friendly but not intrusive. I will cry if they ever go out of business, so please support them! I look horrible when I cry.

I just went to the website for LA Vegan Crepe because I might be in the area tomorrow and it says they closed at the end of March! Too bad I never got to try them out. Their Facebook page says they are looking to open another restaurant in a different location.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Verthandi wrote:
YurtGirl wrote:
I second LA Vegan Crepe. I love that place. Free wifi, relaxing setting, and yes, yes, yes on the napolean!!! The owner and waitstaff are super friendly but not intrusive. I will cry if they ever go out of business, so please support them! I look horrible when I cry.

I just went to the website for LA Vegan Crepe because I might be in the area tomorrow and it says they closed at the end of March! Too bad I never got to try them out. Their Facebook page says they are looking to open another restaurant in a different location.

Wow, what a bummer! I never tried them either, and now I'm kicking myself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

akasha wrote:
I went to the Gracias Madre in San Francisco and loved it. I haven't been to this one yet, but I'll be in LA in a couple of weeks and it's high on my list of places to try.

My husband and I ate at Gracias Madre in West Hollywood yesterday. We didn't realize it was such a trendy spot! We had to wait at the bar for forty minutes to get seated, which led us to order more food than we otherwise would have. The food is pretty similar to Cafe Gratitude's. I think I actually prefer the Cafe Gratitude we go to (the one in Venice) not only because it's closer to home but also because I don't feel like I'm eating with the in crowd over there. Gracias Madre had lovely decor though, and the food was pretty good.

BTW, Akasha, since it's high on your list, if you haven't been there yet, I advise making a reservation a week and a half in advance, which is what the hostess suggested we do when I inquired about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

In the LA activities thread, Bijan said "In manhattan beach there is restaurant called rice. It has vegan sushi and is one of the best vegan restaurants I've eaten at!" I've never heard of this restaurant but I'm not far from Manhattan Beach so I'll have to check it out. I also heard that Kabuki expanded its menu and now offers good vegan sushi at its restaurants.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

Is anyone else still following this thread? I've discovered a terrific new vegan restaurant but if no one else is reading this thread I won't post here anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Yes, following this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

~Sz wrote:
Yes, following this thread!

Oh, good--I wasn't sure if I should post.

Araya's Place is now my favorite Thai restaurant in LA. That is saying a lot because I also adore Satdha. As with Satdha, all the items on the menu at Araya's Place are vegan. The food there is less upscale than at Satdha but it is absolutely delicious. I've been to Araya's Place three times even though it's not near my neighborhood. Each time I've eaten there I've tried something new and so far it's all been great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:06 pm 

definitely still checking with this thread!

good to know about araya's place. i looked at the menu and thought i wouldn't seek it out, but on recommendation, i will! satdha is much closer to me though, so, it'll be a special visit.

i ate at rice a few weeks ago, and it was tasty. some shojin cross over, but that's okay, rice does a more traditional veg menu, which is very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yeah, Araya's Place is pretty much special visits for us too. We're also closer to Satdha.

icy wrote:
i ate at rice a few weeks ago, and it was tasty. some shojin cross over, but that's okay, rice does a more traditional veg menu, which is very nice.

Good to know about Rice. I haven't eaten there yet. It is hard to persuade my husband to go for Japanese food.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm following the thread, though not in/near LA at the moment (probably will move back to SoCal in a couple years, though).

I used to love Araya's in Seattle and was thrilled to learn one was opening in LA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LFL wrote:
akasha wrote:

My husband and I ate at Gracias Madre in West Hollywood yesterday. We didn't realize it was such a trendy spot! We had to wait at the bar for forty minutes to get seated, which led us to order more food than we otherwise would have. The food is pretty similar to Cafe Gratitude's. I think I actually prefer the Cafe Gratitude we go to (the one in Venice) not only because it's closer to home but also because I don't feel like I'm eating with the in crowd over there. Gracias Madre had lovely decor though, and the food was pretty good.

BTW, Akasha, since it's high on your list, if you haven't been there yet, I advise making a reservation a week and a half in advance, which is what the hostess suggested we do when I inquired about it.

I went to brunch at Gracias Madre last weekend, and there were a lot of open tables! If you don't feel like dealing with the night crowds, brunch is a great time to try it. They have their full lunch menu plus a breakfast menu.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next