| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New vegan or vegan-friendly LA restaurants
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Good to know, Jessikitty. Crossroads is now offering a Sunday brunch too. My husband and I ate there this weekend and it was really good, as well as a lot more affordable than their dinner menus. The portions were bigger than those little tapas you get at dinner, but still not huge.

I especially recommend the Tuscan Eggless Frittata, which comes with organic tofu, Bloomsdale spinach, mushroom bacon, almond ricotta, truffle cream sauce and soy mozzarella. The Benedict was also pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A new upscale almost vegan (some dishes have honey, but that's it) restaurant in Studio City is getting rave reviews. It's called The Gadarene Swine. Has anyone here tried it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My husband and I recently ate at The Gadarene Swine. Our servers were very good about asking whether or not we eat honey so they could steer us away from the honey-containing dishes.

We had the prix fixe chef's tasting menu, a dozen or so courses. Each course was only a few bites but by the end of the meal we were full. The food was amazing-- complex in the layers of flavors and textures. So much was good that it is hard to know what to recommend most. Some of my favorites were the popcorn (yes, popcorn) which is fried in olive oil infused with fresh thyme and roasted garlic, the pineapple-orange-ginger-cayenne juice cocktail, the mushroom dish, the sake shooter, and the deconstructed pear pie. I'm sure I'm forgetting something incredible.

The meal was expensive, though. $85 a person which with beverages, tax and tip came to $240 for 2 people. I don't doubt every penny of that money was earned by the people who cook at this restaurant. Much care had obviously been put into preparing the food.

We were there forwas a special occasion and I'm glad to have eaten this meal once, but I doubt we'll be getting the chefs' tasting menu again, not only because of the cost, but also because the sheer number of flavors and textures was overwhelming. In a good way, yes, but I think next time we eat at The Gadarene Swine we'll order a la carte -- I understand it's more affordable, with somewhat larger portions, but also, I'd like to have a meal there that I can wrap my brain around.

If this sounds like an odd review it's because the prix fixe tasting menu was such an extraordinary dining experience. I recommend to every vegan in the vicinity: try it at least once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There's a new upscale / gourmet vegan restaurant in Venice that sounds fabulous -- Plant Food and Wine. Has anyone here eaten there yet? Please do report on it if you happen to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:41 am 
WRETCHED

We decided to go to Gracias Madre which was awesome. My parents loved it (they had decided not to eat at Vromage for lunch but instead ate at the taco shop in the same shopping center) Their housemade tortillas were delicious, the guacamole was very fresh and generally the food was very good. For dessert, my husband and I split a strawberry shortcake, which was good. My parents got the peach cobbler which was a bit odd because it was very hot but had ice cream on top which melted before you could really let the cobbler cool.

I was a bit hesitant going to Crossroads with my parents, primarily because my stepfather is a large portion type of person but there was definitely lots of food at Gracias Madre.

And I already mentioned Vromage in the vromage thread but it was very good. All the cheeses were awesome. I think I preferred their 'pizza' over their baguette.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooh, very cool that Gracias Madre worked out! And that your parents ended up loving it. It feels like a victory when omnis end up loving a vegan restaurant. I really need to check out Vromage.

Did you go to / do any other places / activities besides the Getty?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm 
WRETCHED

My mom wanted to walk around so we went to the shopping area near the farmer's market. But it was nearly a 2 hour drive both ways so not a lot of spare time. Next visit, we may go to the tar pits and some other things but that'll be December.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
My mom wanted to walk around so we went to the shopping area near the farmer's market. But it was nearly a 2 hour drive both ways so not a lot of spare time. Next visit, we may go to the tar pits and some other things but that'll be December.

Cool. It's kind of funny, but while you were in LA I was in San Diego. Maybe I should post about it in the San Diego thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Apparently Moby is opening an organic vegan restaurant in Silver Lake next week!

http://laist.com/2015/11/09/moby_little ... r_lake.php

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

By Chloe opened today in Silver Lake! It was awesome. Delicious, affordable food from scratch with easy counter service, I think it'll start to fill the void Native Foods is leaving around the city. Her cupcakes are lightyears better than NF, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

femmefocale wrote:
By Chloe opened today in Silver Lake! It was awesome. Delicious, affordable food from scratch with easy counter service, I think it'll start to fill the void Native Foods is leaving around the city. Her cupcakes are lightyears better than NF, too!

Oh, wow! I had no idea Chloe Coscarelli was opening a location in LA! Do you know if there will be others?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LFL wrote:
femmefocale wrote:

Oh, wow! I had no idea Chloe Coscarelli was opening a location in LA! Do you know if there will be others?

No word yet on other locations in LA, but the way she's going, I'd be hard pressed to believe it'll be the only one.

p.s. I went back again today because her peach lemonade and guac burger are what my dreams are made of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone here tried Erven, the new vegan restaurant that opened up in RFD's old space in Santa Monica?

It is getting stellar reviews on Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/erven-santa-monica