| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LA restaurants with options for low carb omnis & vegans
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

An omnivore friend of mine is planning a visit to Los Angeles this summer, and she follows a strict low carb (almost no carbs) diet. I would be grateful for suggestions for restaurants where both she and my husband and I (both vegan) can eat.

Post subject: Re: LA restaurants with options for low carb omnis & vegans
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:54 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

For not-fancy lunches or takeout:

Lemonade - You would have a lot of vegan options and she could have whatever meat isn't marinated in something with sugar, and vegetables.

Mendocino Farms - They always have vegan banh mi and 2-3 other sandwiches and there's also a Chinese chicken salad that can be veganized with tofu. They have a lot of salads with meat, or she could have a sandwich made with a lettuce wrap.

A step up:

Mohawk Bend - This may be a slightly passive-aggressive on my part. The menu is vegan with a tiny handful of meat items. See how the other half lives!

Momed - The BH one, specifically. Good vegan mezze, farro salad, and flatbreads that can be made without cheese. Omnis seem to love the chicken here.

Shamshiri Grill - Huge vegan menu and lots of grilled meat and kebabs for her.

Pace - There isn't much that's vegan but their soup and salads (request no cheese) are always really good and if you call in advance they should be willing to make you a vegan pasta or pizza. If you're doing the tour of Laurel Canyon, it's worth a try.

For old-school weirdness:
Inn of the Seventh Ray - Like eating at Liberace's house. It might be fun for brunch. The regular brunch buffet includes lots of things that all of you could eat and for a few dollars more she could add crab legs and other optional meaty things. I'm not sure what, I just remember seeing the legs. Ew.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:11 am 

I'll mention one more, solely for the ease of accommodating different needs there: Breeze at the Century Plaza. But I would check for current reviews first. It used to be CAA-heavy at breakfast and lunch and they bent over backwards to try to keep their business so the menu was painstakingly broken down into vegan, paleo, low calorie, gluten-free, etc. My favorite was always the "raw and vegan and paleo and gluten-free" designation given to a plain salad. All three of you should be able to get exactly what you want here but I haven't been in a while and I'm not sure about the quality of the food now. It wasn't that great before.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:27 pm 

Thank you!

Re. Mendocino Farms--I'm not sure she would eat a sandwich because of the bread. I'm also not sure about Shamshiri -- since she doesn't like Indian or Mexican food, I don't know how she'd feel about Persian. Most of the other suggestions look great though!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:54 pm 

I'm not sure if they still do this but Mendocino Farms used to be willing to make any sandwich into a salad or replace the bread with romaine leaves.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:19 pm 

Xocolatl wrote:
I'm not sure if they still do this but Mendocino Farms used to be willing to make any sandwich into a salad or replace the bread with romaine leaves.

Thanks for letting me know this! If you think of more suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

feel like some raw places would maybe fit the bill? or places like cafe gratitude? low carb would be do-able. unless they are totally uncomfortable by a veg restaurant?

maybe japanese restaurants might be a decent choice - omni ones. it wouldn't be the best or most filling vegan meal, but think generally both sides could be happy.

tender greens might be a good choice, too!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:06 pm 

icy wrote:
feel like some raw places would maybe fit the bill? or places like cafe gratitude? low carb would be do-able. unless they are totally uncomfortable by a veg restaurant?

maybe japanese restaurants might be a decent choice - omni ones. it wouldn't be the best or most filling vegan meal, but think generally both sides could be happy.

tender greens might be a good choice, too!

Thanks Icy. It looks like the visit won't be happening this summer after all, but it probably will eventually, so it's good to have your suggestions.

My friend is willing to eat at a vegetarian restaurant if she can have an omelette or something like that (she likes protein-heavy dishes) but I don't know if salad alone would be filling enough for her. Tender Greens is a great suggestion. Are you thinking of any omni Japanese restaurants specifically?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Veggie Grill has an option for "kale style" sandwiches and Doomie's has some high protein dishes. Hugo's isn't vegan but has a lot of vegan food and clearly marks it on the menu. Sage is a great vegan restaurant and probably has some low carb foods. Some of the earth bowls at Native Foods are probably low carb. I've never been to Shojin but it's supposed to be good if you like Japanese food. There's also a bunch of Israeli and kosher restaurants (especially around Fairfax/the grove) if you all like falafel, hummus, etc. Cafe Gratitude might be a good option and they have a really good tiramisu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 pm 

Thanks, ilovemydogs. I'm on the westside but I think there's a new Israeli restaurant on Venice Beach, so that's a great idea.