| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North County San Diego??
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I lived in L.A. for 3 years and was spoiled, spoiled, spoiled by all the vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants. I live in Oceanside now and am saddened by the lack of vegan friendliness.

I know further south has a ton of options, but I want to know what I'm missing in North County. I know there's Veggie Grill, Native Foods, Hill Street Cafe and a few in Encinitas but if I'm missing any gems specifically in Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad or San Marcos I'd love to hear about them!

Oh and yes, Barrel Republic is amazing and has vegan options!

Post subject: Re: North County San Diego??
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

Jimbo's grocery store in Carlsbad is wonderful, if you're not familiar. I used to live near it and still think about it all the time. You've listed all the ones I can think of. I usually spent time in Encinitas, Lotus Cafe was my go-to. That Native sure is tasty. I'm not a fan of Swami's or their politics but I know people love it. There's tons of raw and juice, as is the SoCal way.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I love Lotus Cafe, I went there for the first time about a month ago!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've got no answers for your questions but wanted to comment that LA's vegan restaurant scene will spoil a vegan for almost anywhere else in the country.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I often shop at Frasier farms when I'm visiting my parents. I also love Soup Plantation but partly because we have nothing like that where I live but I also used to eat there all the time when I wasn't vegan and still lived in Oceanside. And yes, just generally LA will have a lot better options.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am 
WRETCHED

One thing I was thinking about is taco shops. I don't know how often you frequented taco shops in LA, but in San Diego, I wouldn't trust most of them to have much if anything vegan. I've talked to the Colima's off of Emerald (tri-city area) and they swear there is no lard in their beans or tortillas but they do put chicken stock in their rice (and they have a vegetarian burrito with the rice). I also had my stepdad talk to him because his Spanish is much better than mine. I don't do it very often and don't think I've done it the past 2 trips but once in a while, I like a bean burrito. There is a Colima's near the pier but I haven't been there since before I was vegan, but it is the same family that runs it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hey, I'm in Oceanside too! And I'm also from LA. How funny.

Overseas Chinese restaurant in Carlsbad has a vegetarian menu with mock meats as well as some tofu and veggie based dishes.

Sorpresa Barata is a market in Escondido that went from a little Mexican market into an Asian market but didn't change its name. It has a great selection of some hard to find stuff.

Luna Grill at the mall in Carlsbad has some decent vegan options. Nothing super special, but it's nice to know it is there when I am out and about.

I haven't been yet, so I can't vouch for quality, but someone just told me about Harney sushi. The menu has some really inventive vegan rolls and I am super excited to try it.

I second frazier farms for grocery shopping. It has a good selection of some specialty stuff and they carry the So Delicious cashew based ice cream, which is my favorite right now. I can also reliably find things like vegan D vitamins and such when I need them.

That's all I can think of for now.