| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 24 hours to eat in the LA area
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you only had 24 hours to eat in the LA area, what would be your top picks? Right now my narrowed down list is:

Little Pine
Doomies
Ramen Hood
Vromage (for picking up snacks to make staying in Anaheim more bearable)
Crossroads
Shojin

Would you nix or add any other places?

Also, has anybody been to Thuyen Vien, the vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant not too far from Disney? I might have to convince my partner that leaving the park for dinner might be a good idea if we want to eat well. (My priority, not his!)

Post subject: Re: 24 hours to eat in the LA area
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:26 pm 
WRETCHED

I went to Crossroads and Vromage. Vromage is kind of odd because it is really a cheese shop that will make you a sandwich but thats all they have.

I loved Crossroads so much, I really would want to go back. I also loved Gracias Madre (which is near crossroads).

Although I'm not the biggest fan of gardein or dressed up gardein, I really liked Healthy Junk, which is really close to Disney. My husband and I drove from LA to my parents in San Diego and stopped at Healthy Junk and Downtown Disney (which is free, I think you need to get validated after 2 hours?). It is definitely very casual, it is basically a food court in a building with a few other restaurants.

We didn't get to Little Pine but I'd definitely keep that on your list and Shojin has had such good reviews, I wouldn't nix that.

Also we had it to go but I did enjoy grabbing lunch at Real Food Daily. It was also really easy to do, I basically went to their website, picked out what my husband and I wanted (while we were waiting for our luggage at LAX), selected a time and then dropped on by and we were in and out in a few moments. Only reason we didn't stay to eat is because we had an event that night and had to start getting ready while we were eating.

I guess I'm not helping but I've only been to LA a few times while vegan with fairly free reign to go where I chose, rather than trying to find something my parents would be ok with as well (although they loved Gracis Madre and they are picky about Mexican food).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:55 pm 
WRETCHED

One thing I was thinking about is also since you have only have 24 hours, that might help limit your search for stuff that will be near where you were at. I insisted on going to Vromage a couple years ago but it is quite painful to get because it is no where near a freeway. Despite having gone to college in LA for my first few years and having gone to various stuff in the LA area over the years, somehow I missed this fact.

"1 hour to get 15 miles at 11am, google maps must be broken" but nope.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:55 pm 
Taco Scientist

Crossroads, vromage, & Doughnut Friend would all be on my can't miss list. I didn't like LA gracias madre nearly as much as the SF location so check out the menu, they are different. Vinh Loi Tofu was some of the best Vietnamese I've had.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Absolutely keep Crossroads on your list no matter what! It's incredible and so worth going to. Keep in mind it's a tapas style menu, and you'll need to order 3-4 dishes per person if you go to dinner (Brunch is different. If you can only eat one meal there, make it dinner).

If you like Thai food at all then add Satdha for its terrific all-vegan Thai food. It is not like other Thai restaurants. My favorite things there are the Endive Cups appetizer with cashew "tuna," the Meang Kham appetizer the Snap Pea Thai salad, the Shallot Tempeh, the Beet Dyed Noodles, the Prik King and I could go on. Their web page is STILL under construction but you can find most of their menu here.

As for what to drop, Shojin and Vromage are good but not so amazing that they would top my list. I like Real Food Daily and Cafe Gratitude (Cafe Gratitude has the same owners as Gracias Madre, and some similarities in the menus, so I wouldn't go to both) better than Shojin and Vromage, personally.

If you don't mind going to an omni restaurant, my favorite ice cream in town is the freshly made vegan sorbet at Pizzeria Mozza, which also has a few other terrific vegan items on their otherwise omnivorous menu. Mozza is consistently ranked in the top 5 Los Angeles restaurants by the restaurant critics here.

I am so bummed that The Gadarene Swine has closed! It was a truly mind-blowing dining experience (the chef was a Top Chef contestant and much-lauded here in LA) and the menu was vegan except for a few items containing honey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks so much everybody on the recommendations!! I'll actually be in the area 3 days, but 1 day in Disney and another at Universal Studios. Can't believe I forgot Doughnut Friend to my list!

Skipping on Gracias Madre and Cafe Gratitude due to the weird meat scandal with the owners. I have actually been to Gracias Madre in San Francisco, and I wasn't that impressed anyway. It sounds like there is still plenty in the area, so I won't be missing it!!

And Satdha sounds amazing, I'll have to add it to the list and hope we can get to it!

Thanks again, all!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:23 pm 
Naked Under Apron

What is the weird meat scandal with the Gracias Madre / Cafe Gratitude owners? Do tell!

And have a great trip! I would love to hear where you end up dining and what your favorite LA spot ends up being.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:50 pm 
WRETCHED

The owners of GM/CG have a farm where they farm animals and sell the meat. I don't care myself, Cafe Gratitude isn't my favorite place but I'd definitely go back to Gracias Madre.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
The owners of GM/CG have a farm where they farm animals and sell the meat. I don't care myself, Cafe Gratitude isn't my favorite place but I'd definitely go back to Gracias Madre.

Well, that turns me off, I must admit. Probably not enough to boycott, though!

Cafe Gratitude is too New Agey / froufrou, but I'm willing to overlook a lot for great tasting vegan food.