| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about Disneyland!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I searched but didn't see a thread so please link if there is one already.

We are going this summer - very exciting - and I was wondering if anyone had hints or suggestions, not only for food but must do rides as well.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Disneyland!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Hey! I hope you have fun. Are you only going to Anaheim or other places in SoCal as well?

I've never been to California Disney but my aunts/cousins who have season passes say it is their least favorite place but I think there are 1 or 2 big roller coasters.

I also like Universal Studios as a theme park as well. Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm also have some bigger roller coasters. Last time we went to Knotts, it was dead, which was kind of cool because no lines but such a difference from when I was a kid.

My favorite rides at Disneyland are:
Pirates of the Caribbean (big boat ride, no huge splashes)
Thunder Mountain (I think this is gone already though in prep for the new Star Wars area)
Matahorn (traditional roller coaster type ride inside a mountain, I don't think that is the real name)
Indiana Jones (roller coaster but a wide one)
Haunted House ride

Be sure to go on the train ride that goes around the park. There are 4 stops I believe, 1 is right by the main entrance. You get to see around the park plus it is fun.

there is also a traditional log ride and lots of kids rides. I like them just for memory sake but things like Peter Pan is fun to go on even if you have no kids. My aunts also told me that they do have a Star Wars welcome center with some Star Wars memorabilia if you are a SW fan.

For food, Disneyland is pretty friendly but I found out the hard way that some places run out of vegan food before dinner. You will find something but may not be your top pick.

Outside of Disneyland but nearby is a vegan fast food type place called "Healthy Junk". I am not a fan of Gardein in restaurants but I liked it when my husband and I went a few months ago.

Something kind of fun to do is to shop in Downtown Disney outside of Disneyland. It is free to shop, pay to park but you can get validated. I think 1 of the places to eat there had a vegan meal (Rainforest cafe maybe? ) But basically a bunch of shops, lots with Disney stuff in it including an art studio and a large gift shop. It is only a few stores so really no more than a couple hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks.

I'm not big on BIG roller coasters but my husband and the kids are.

Will keep Healthy Junk in mind for an out of the park dinner.

We are heading to Universal Studios one day - mainly for Harry Potter World!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:23 pm 
WRETCHED

Honestly, I'm not big on big roller coasters either. I hate to admit it but I've never done Space Mountain and now that it is Star Wars related, I'm still not sure I'll try it. I can't see the ride from the outside, I get a little wary although you can't see it. You also can't Indiana Jones from the outside either but I asked about it before going on. I don't like big drops which is why I don't like Splash Mountain or the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios. If you don't like getting thrown around, you probably wouldn't like the Matahorn but it is one of the original Disney rides and there are no big drops, just you go from side to side, maybe small dips here and there. My grandma is tiny and she felt Indiana Jones threw her around but tiny people can ride on the inside, it is either 6 people or 8 people wide, I can't remember. No big drops, you kind of go in, go up, then go backwards. It has been a few years since I've been there though and being a newer ride, I've only been on it a few times.

In LA there are tons of good places to eat as well. Maybe not that close to Universal Studios but plenty of places on the way or drivable. I'd recommend perusing the LA threads for those but we enjoyed Real Food Daily, Gracias Madre, Crossroads (fancier place) and a few other places in LA.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Not sure if this post is too late but maybe it will help someone else...

One thing about Disney is that they don't always have the restricted diet items on the regular menu. It's annoying in that you have to either research on line or go in each place and ask to figure out what your options are, but good in that they have lower order volume on the special items that way so they can keep things in stock and they can also prepare it in a special contamination-free area if you want them to. So just because you don't see something on the menu doesn't mean they don't have a vegan option - it's worth googling and asking. TBH the last time I was there I was only eating vegetarian, but I can't eat gluten so I got acquainted with the whole special ordering process. (I remember virtually nothing that was vegan and gluten free fwiw, except very simple salads.)

Another thing is that Disney is awesome about letting people bring in outside food. They want everyone (that pays) to be able to enjoy the park and know that limited food options would prevent that for some people. If you don't mind carrying it, you can bring as much food as you want.

Apparently the Dole whips are now vegan and those are tasty! Pizza Port in Tomorrowland also has a salad station where you can special order. There are various stations where you can buy overpriced fruit and pickles and other snacks. Also, Bonzai Aphrodite has a post or two about eating vegan in Disneyland. IIRC the gist was that options are abundant, but gluteny and low protein.

I'm not a roller coaster fan at all but I like Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, and the Matterhorn. My main issue with them is my fear of heights, and since Space Mountain is in the dark and the tracks on Thunder Mountain and the Matterhorn are attached to the ground or to their fake mountain thing for most of the way, it's a lot easier for me to enjoy. The Aladdin show, if they're still doing it, is great - get in line early. Soaring over California was one of my favorite rides but I think they've changed it since I've been. Star Tours is fun but don't go after a big meal if you get carsick. (My advice in general could be dated because I haven't been since construction on Star Wars Land began.) The Frozen show is basically just some actors lip syncing to the songs - it was enjoyable but you can skip it.