| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurants recommended for the Getty?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm 
WRETCHED

So I told my mom about Vromage and its a go. Now whether we eat there is a different story as my parents would want to go with us. My stepfather is omni but he is open to vegan restaurants if there is a large selection. He loves Native Foods so that would be my basis of comparison. So faux meats yes, tofu no.

Where near the Getty would be a place we could eat? (and it will be still a few weeks out but my mom likes to plan and research)

I may still try to sway them to eating at Vromage because damn, I need a cheese baguette sandwich but that may fail.

Also, if you can recommend anything 'fun' in hollywood area, that'd be good too. I tried to suggest the La Brea tarpits but that got nixed. My parents like antique stores and my husband can deal with that but other types of shopping is a no. Crafts and farmer's markets would be good but my mom's response to that is we have those where they live. I hate large crowds so the idea of going to the walk of stars or whatever during summer is not my cup of tea. My step dad does love Marilyn Monroe though and my mom loves Lucille Ball so if anything is related to either of them (museum), they'd probably be down for it. My husband and I don't care about celebrities and my parents wouldn't seek them out but I'd hate to run into any with my parents because in the past, it has been slightly embarrassing. If it happens though, I'd survive. My mom just wants a reason to drive that far, but she wants to go to the Getty which is why we'll get close to Vromage :) But any other reasons are good to consider too.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants recommended for the Getty?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:15 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

La Brea Tar Pits are so awesome. The Petersen Auto museum is near there as well. It's extensive and has fun exhibits. It's like a history museum in a lot of ways.

Liz's Antique Hardware, http://www.lahardware.com/ , not exactly Hollywood but super interesting and near some cool secondhand shops.

I've never been but have always wanted to see Watt's Tower, again, not Hollywood but on the way!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm 
WRETCHED

Maybe I'll push for the tar pits (or figure a way to go by ourselves). I went to college in LA for my first 2 years but had no car and once when driving back from college, my parents drove by the tar pits but didn't want to go look at it. Recently, we were watching a show based in LA and my husband asked what the place was and I told him it was the tar pits and told him what I knew about it. He seemed somewhat interested in going there.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm assuming that by "the Getty" you mean the Getty Center and NOT the Getty Villa in Malibu

Good vegan restaurant options not too far from the Getty Center:

Gracias Madre (Vegan Mexican, from the people who brought us Cafe Gratitude)
Real Food Daily (Santa Monica and West Hollywood locations; the menu got upgraded 1-2 years ago)
Veggie Grill (multiple locations and should appeal to fans of Native Foods)
Araya's Place (Terrific Thai spot in West Hollywood)

Vegan friendly omni spots (I haven't eaten at these but I want to):

Lemonade (Brentwood)
Blu Jam Cafe (Sherman Oaks; only serves breakfast and lunch)

Fun things to do in Hollywood

-Crossroads (possibly the best vegan restaurant in LA, kind of pricy)
- Pizzeria Mozza (definitely the best pizza in LA, and they have some vegan things-- but make reservations if you want to be sure to be seated, also kind of pricy)
-If you're into museums, the California Science Center has a good exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls right now, as well as the space shuttle. They are timed exhibits and it's best to get tickets in advance
-Griffith Observatory
-If you come on a Sunday, there's the Hollywood farmer's market (not to be confused with the one at the Grove, which isn't a real farmer's market)
-If you like to shop, eat and people watch, Melrose Ave. is full of cool shops and restaurants

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 am 
WRETCHED

Oh thanks for the tips. We tried Veggie Grill in Irvine and none of us liked it but I'll have to check out the other places. I'm also thinking a day with and without my parents in LA may be in order. Gracias Madre is tempting, my only hesitation is my parents being Mexican are pretty picky about Mexican food. By design, I eat tons of Mexican food when I visit though because my Mexican food options aren't great where I live, which makes Gracias Madre right up my alley.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
Oh thanks for the tips. We tried Veggie Grill in Irvine and none of us liked it but I'll have to check out the other places. I'm also thinking a day with and without my parents in LA may be in order. Gracias Madre is tempting, my only hesitation is my parents being Mexican are pretty picky about Mexican food. By design, I eat tons of Mexican food when I visit though because my Mexican food options aren't great where I live, which makes Gracias Madre right up my alley.

I'm not Mexican, so I can't tell you how authentic Gracias Madre is, but the food is pretty different from other Mexican restaurants I've eaten at. I suggest looking up their menu online. It will give you some idea.

If all else fails, there's a Native Foods in Westwood that you could go to, since you know your parents like it.