| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stay Classy San Diego
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 am 
Chard Martyr

Hey guys! I'm thinking of a move to California in the next couple years. I'd like to visit a few times, different locations, until then to check out different neighbourhoods and such, in an effort to plan ahead rather than be impulsive about a location. Right now I'm planning a trip to SD in early January to see how I like the city and the winter months.
Are there any areas that are walk/bike friendly? I'd prefer to not drive everywhere.
What are the awesome areas other than beach locations?
Where would you stay if you were me?
I'll be using Airbnb for a place to stay. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:28 pm 
WRETCHED

Do you have a general budget in mind? Where I grew up and lived in my early 20s were definitely not bike or walking friendly, at least not for someone young and single. I grew up and lived in Oceanside, which has a special place in my heart but wouldn't recommend it for anyone who was single or possibly without kids. I loved the beach and whenever I visit it is almost impossible not to run into family. I never did bars or anything but nightlife and the city is dominated by young marines which always annoyed me. I think you'll get that in other parts of SD as well but I don't know specifically which parts. Oceanside does happen to be one of the cheaper areas especially in the north part of the county but again, just not very walkable or bikeable for anything interesting.

Places I've visited that seem walkable tend to be more expensive but I'm not as familiar with those areas and never lived there. I mentioned Hillcrest up above but that seems to be a very pricey area but there seems to be neighborhoods near there that seem to be walkable and suitable for someone younger. I also tend to love the area around Balboa park but I never looked into housing there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks for the reply, linanil! I had looked into Oceanside because it is a good amount cheaper than most places. I've also been in talks with Adam to learn more about SD. I spent some time in LA and loved the weather, and SD seems like a less expensive area than LA and possibly less... fast paced? Not sure.
I don't go out to bars or anything, so that type of nightlife isn't important to me. I'd love to be able to not use my car for everything but I'm not sure SD is appropriate for that? Hillcrest seems expensive even on airbnb. I don't really have a clear-cut budget yet as it depends on if I move out alone or with a roommate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 pm 
WRETCHED

Southern California, in general, is more geared toward cars which is a shame but things tend to be far and wide and Oceanside is no different. I always think of Oceanside more for families with kids for some reason but maybe that is just my experience. If you did want to look at it, some of the places where things are more accessible/closer together is downtown oceanside as the bus transit is there as well as the coaster. The East/West coaster was built after I moved away but I am guessing it also goes to downtown Oceanside. Oceanside is also relatively safe (much safer than many parts of Vista) but there are some places that I would not live and I grew up in a somewhat sketchy part of Oceanside. If you ever seriously look there, I can give some details of what places are probably the less safe areas and they are easy to avoid. Even the area I grew up in still has gang problems and I wouldn't mind living there per se but other than little latino markets, there isn't a lot around.

Another option may be Northern Orange county. I only lived in Southern OC which is definitely on the pricier side but San Clemente is the cheapest part of South OC. I've heard some areas like Huntington Beach can be more affordable and when I went to school in Irvine, a lot of people lived in the northern part of OC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks, linanil! I thought in general Huntington Beach/Newport Beach areas were a bit more expensive?
To be perfectly honest, I'll likely move near wherever I get a job! I would guess that in most areas there are somewhat affordable areas even if it's not as bit or bright or whatever as I might like. Maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

North Park, South Park, La Mesa are all somewhat walkable and definitely bikeable. It is possible to get a tiny house share to have a yard if that is important. SD is definitely more laid back and slightly less $$$ than LA when comparing similar areas. LA has better vegan options though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thank you, Sz! I'll start looking in those neighborhoods for my next vacation and see if one of them suits me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Theres a new late night vegan food stand called Anthem Vegan that sets up in North Park on Fri and Sat nights, and also sells at the Sun Hillcrest Farmers Market

https://www.facebook.com/AnthemVegan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Anything in SD a gluten-free vegan should be sure not to miss? We will be here for/around Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 am 
WRETCHED

If you don't require a GF kitchen, I'd check out Native Foods, they might have some accidentally GF items. The GF craze doesn't seem to be as big in Southern California from what I've seen elsewhere and places that do try don't seem to have dedicated facilities or even will place gf baked goods right next to regular baked goods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, I'm not sensitive to trace amounts-thanks linanil, they have gf items marked on the menu!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 am 
WRETCHED

Just FYI - My mom reported that Native Foods is selling a frozen seitan wellington for $39.95 (uhh pretty pricey) but she bought it for us for Christmas time. I guess this means I really have to buy my Christmas plane tickets soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We're thinking of getting one of the wellingtons for Thanksgiving.. Actually, if they have the whole thanksgiving menu available for takeout ahead of time, that sounds delightfully easy, but I have to figure it out. Still not sure whether any of the family who have been talking about a holiday-ish visit will be visiting.

Is anyone doing the post-Thanksgiving sweater run? http://theuglysweaterrun.com/locations/san-diego/ Some of husband's coworkers' families are doing it so we probably will.. Obviously the hot chocolate is not a draw, but the cider and maybe beer are presumably vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Couple of upcoming events in San Diego:

San Diego Veg Fest is this weekend (November 8-10) in North Park. There is a happy hour Friday night, festival on Saturday and brunch on Sunday at Casa de Luz.

Also, LoveLikeBeer is hosting a brunch at Toronado on December 8.

Just in case anyone is interested and hadn't heard!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

If you can only eat one Mexican meal in San Diego where would you eat? Doesn't matter if it's at an omni joint, just as long as the vegan options are the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It's a toss up between Pokez and Ranchos for me. Pokez burritos are THE BEST, but I could live off of Ranchos refried beans. Super tough call. They both have amazing vegan options.
At Pokez I'd get the tofu potato mushroom burrito (vegan with sauce) and at Ranchos I'd get the trio enchilada combo with the mole refried bean enchilada. damn, i need to go home again soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Good golly, those both sound incredible. Maybe my partner and I will just have to go to both.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 pm 

My vote is for Pokez but I do also love Ranchos. But I love Pokez more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks a lot for the Pokez and Ranchos recommendations. We went to both and loved them both.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 am 
WRETCHED

You know, I never realized that I could get a refried enchilada at Ranchos. Last visit, I got 2 mole enchiladas with their tofu. Their tofu is pretty good but yeah their refried beans are the best. Their mole sauce is the best too. Also, the bread they use for tortas is delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 am 
Nooch of Earl

Three words: Battered tempeh tacos.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't think I've heard it mentioned here, but there's a new Native Foods Cafe going up in the Loma Portal area (off Rosecrans, near the Einstein Bros/Starbucks/Jamba Juice/Pick Up Stix/Wing Stop/Sprouts-plex).

Just in time for us to move away!! Curses. I could've made the husband pick up dinner on the way home from work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Omg are you serious? That's soooo awesome and so close to my sister's place (and where i'd prob live if we move home). Yessss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 pm 

annak wrote:
I don't think I've heard it mentioned here, but there's a new Native Foods Cafe going up in the Loma Portal area (off Rosecrans, near the Einstein Bros/Starbucks/Jamba Juice/Pick Up Stix/Wing Stop/Sprouts-plex).

Hurrah!!! Thank you for this good bit of news!
The Encinitas location may as well be LA, Rosecrans-ish is definitely more doable. Sorry you are going to miss out though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Since it's one of the few places we can reliably take a two-year-old without being excommunicated from veganism, we've been known to make the drive up to Encinitas just 'cause. But this would have been SO much better! We'll probably be back in ~3 years or so, though, and I hope it's still there!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next