| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LA Activities
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm visiting LA for the first time April 25-28. Excited about all the yummy food. Especially Doomie's. :)

What should I do between meals? I like books and movies and theatre and hiking (etc etc). I'll be staying in West Hollywood, and definitely will check out the New Beverly. Any suggestions, things I shouldn't miss? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: LA Activities
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You're in luck -- by late April the beaches should be open, and you'll be here on the weekend which is the best time to people watch. Here are some of my favorite things to do.

The canals of Venice and Venice Boardwalk (These two destinations are walking distance from each other but like two completely different worlds. The canal streets are so lovely and not to be missed).

The Getty Center (not to be confused with the Villa, though that's nice too). My favorite of the permanent galleries there is the one with the impressionist art but they'll be having some neat exhibitions while you're here. And even if you don't love art, the architecture of the Getty Center is beautiful and they have architectural tours, garden tours... I can't get my husband to stop photographing it when we go there.

A day trip drive up the coast to Santa Barbara -- the coastline is gorgeous and once you get to Santa Barbara, you can check out the Mission, the courthouse and if you have time and it's a nice day to be outside, maybe LotusLand. There are hiking trails near there, too. Just be sure to take the scenic coastal route on the way there -- on the way back when it's dark you can take the inland route which is faster.

The Hollywood Farmer's Market (not the Grove, the outdoor street market -- here's their webpage)

Santa Monica -- people watching on 3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier

I'm not a big hiker but I understand Topanga Canyon is really nice for that.

If you like classic movies, check out the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian Theater. There's an Academy of Motion Pictures museum in the works but it hasn't been built yet- they are only in the fundraising stage. You might also want to google film festivals, there are a lot of them held here.

For theater, check out reviews in local publications like the LA Weekly. Sometimes LA Mag will have something about shows too. The Broadway productions are typically at the Pantages and the Ahmanson (be wary of the least expensive seats at Ahmanson -- unless you're not prone to vertigo, you don't want to sit there). But there are a lot of smaller productions too. Goldstar sometimes offers promotional prices on tickets.

If you like improv comedy, I recommend The Groundlings.

Also there is a MeetUp group of Greater Los Angeles Vegan and Vegetarian Hikers -- they might give you some hiking recommendations if you contact them. Their page is here.

There is a lot more to explore here including concerts, comedy clubs, Hollywood Bowl, etc. The Griffith Observatory is nice too. I'm running out of steam, but if you plan ahead you should have a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 am 
Saggy Butt

Great suggestions, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 pm 

akasha wrote:
Great suggestions, thanks!

You're welcome! When you come back from your trip I'd love to hear how it went.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:25 pm 

I just remembered-- there are some travel guides specifically about hiking in the Los Angeles area. Just put "Los Angeles hiking" in Amazon's search engine and you'll come up with them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Google Runyon Canyon if you want to hike with Hollywood types.
Griffith Park has some great hikes and there is a way to get up to the Hollywood sign, though I haven't yet done it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:12 pm 

So... how was your trip, Akasha?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

It was nice! Lots of good food, and I think I covered a good bit of ground - although of course there's a lot more I didn't have time for. I went to Griffith Park and the Silverlake Reservoir (Silverlake was probably my favorite neighborhood) and spent a lot of time on the beach. Wandered around West Hollywood, went to Beverly Hills and the Greystone Mansion. Saw movies at the New Beverly and the Arclight. I'll definitely be back!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

In manhattan beach there is restaurant called rice. It has vegan sushi and is one of the best vegan restaurants I've eaten at!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:30 pm 

akasha wrote:
It was nice! Lots of good food, and I think I covered a good bit of ground - although of course there's a lot more I didn't have time for. I went to Griffith Park and the Silverlake Reservoir (Silverlake was probably my favorite neighborhood) and spent a lot of time on the beach. Wandered around West Hollywood, went to Beverly Hills and the Greystone Mansion. Saw movies at the New Beverly and the Arclight. I'll definitely be back!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. It sounds like a successful trip!