| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty vegan products in the Low Countries
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey guys! I just went to the Amazing Oriental in Breda (they opened a HUGE one last year) and they have even more of those usually hard to find products. I spotted an enlarged Latin foods section with, you guessed it, chipotles in adobo! They also had vacuum-packed tofu like Mori-Nu in the Japanese section. I already have some of these things stashed away at home, but I bought one of each anyway to say "hey! someone is buying these!"

I bet they have more things. Want me to check on anything? I'll be going back in a week or so, I'm sure, so I can scope things out to bring to the Ghent meet-up if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hello, just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted in this thread! I was in Amsterdam for a few days last week for the first time in ages and this thread was very useful for finding tasty treats!
I also came back with a suitcase stuffed with vegan sweets (Candy Freaks!) and masses of speculaas flavoured things :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Awesome! (ps. If you want company next time you're here, let us know! We love an excuse for a meetup.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:26 pm 

Do you know of anyone who sells powdered sugar in reasonable amounts? All I've been able to find are 250g tubes for dusting pancakes, and I need a lot more than that if I'm going to frost all the sugar cookies I have planned.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I always buy it at Absolutely British in Amstelveen. They have it in their webshop as well but I don't know what the shipping costs will be: http://shop.absobrit.nl/102-sugars?sid= ... j9prav4i76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kashi, I hate the powdered sugar thing! My hairdresser buys baking supplies from an online shop and I have been meaning to look into whether they have icing sugar by the bag versus that gross pancake stuff with anti caking additives. Will let you know.

More success at Amazing Oriental! I got a thing of vegan bacon bits the other day and their Latin foods section seems to be growing.

Also, CigKoftem opened a location by the station in Breda and they are advertising "vegan" food. They still sell baklava, yogurt drinks, and a meat filled pocket thing, but I guess everything else is vegan. It's just a cheap grain/bean/veg based cigkoftem thing they spread on lavash bread, but hella spicy! Anyone been to one of these places? It's the first time anything here has been advertised as vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Cigkoftem is our go-to take out place here in Zaandam. The wraps and the actual cigkofte ('raw' kofte) are vegan. The kofte are made from the same stuff they put in your wrap. There is a spicy and a 'less spicy' variety (still pretty spicy).

We usually get the 'pakket nummer 2' which is 20 kofte, 2 lavas breads/wraps, a head of lettuce, a container of red sauce, half a lemon and some parsley and mint. You can wrap the kofte in pieces of bread and lettuce with the herbs and drizzle/dip with the lemon and sauce. Eat until completely stuffed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 am 
Tofu Pup

I highly recommend Veggie4U shop in Den Haag.
Huge assortment of vegan cheese, ice cream, replacements...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Dudes! Albert Heijn is expanding their hot sauce shelf. They already had some interesting chipotle and jalapeno tabascos, but today I walked by the sauce isle and saw FRANKS RED HOT! Two styles, original and wingz. A bottle costs about €2.20.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:45 pm 

What! That's awesome (and delicious).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I don't think the wingz one is vegan. I can't remember what was in it but I'm sure I looked recently and it had something...ah yeah, "natural butter type flavor". The normal Franks is really good though.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the heads up, I bought the original and did not check the wings. It seems that Frank's says the butter flavor is vegan though: http://vegweb.com/community/lovin-loot/ ... -are-vegan

But the original is great, so I think I'll stick with that and make my own wingz just to be safe :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Cornelie wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I bought the original and did not check the wings. It seems that Frank's says the butter flavor is vegan though: http://vegweb.com/community/lovin-loot/ ... -are-vegan

But the original is great, so I think I'll stick with that and make my own wingz just to be safe :-)

Oh, interesting. I wonder how they make vegan butter flavour? I might try it when I've worked through the super-hot birds eye chili sauce I inflicted on myself!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

i was shopping in venlo today in the big albert heijn and in a toco and i saw all these surinaamse sauces and preserves and i was wondering which of these could be made vegan easily. has anyone of you tried any of these with tofu or soy chunks instead? i didn't have the energy to figure out which ones are actually vegan. i would like to try surinaams cooking...

thanks for your help,
uli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

A lot of those Surinamese (and Indonesian) products are vegan. Watch out for trassi (shrimp paste), meat broth etc. In my experience the sauces work great with seitan, soy chunks, tempeh or baked/fried tofu. I especially love the Indonesian powdered peanut sauce mixes like the one in the picture. They're shelf stable, taste much more authentic than supermarket satay sauce and are really easy to mix up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

thanks, cornelie. i've written it on my list. i remember i had a lot of boemboes containing trassi until someone told me some years ago. next time i'm in venlo i shall invest more time checking the ingredients in the supermarket. those jars look so enticing because they are foreign to me...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

pickledtreats wrote:
Hey guys! I just went to the Amazing Oriental in Breda (they opened a HUGE one last year) and they have even more of those usually hard to find products. I spotted an enlarged Latin foods section with, you guessed it, chipotles in adobo! They also had vacuum-packed tofu like Mori-Nu in the Japanese section. I already have some of these things stashed away at home, but I bought one of each anyway to say "hey! someone is buying these!"

I bet they have more things. Want me to check on anything? I'll be going back in a week or so, I'm sure, so I can scope things out to bring to the Ghent meet-up if necessary.

This is great! Thanks for the tip! I live in Tilburg so it's not a problem to go there. I love toko's :)
Here in Tilburg we have Asiana witch is great to but a some difference is never bad i think!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I heard a rumor from a parent at our school that the Amazing Oriental in Breda has stopped selling Mexican food items, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I'm planning to investigate. It would be a travesty if so!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ugh. Sad to report that Amazing Oriental in Breda pulled all of their Latin food items. I spoke to a cashier there and she said they weren't selling as quickly, so they decided to remove them. I told a bunch of people they were selling hot sauces and chipotles in adobo and people actually went there, but they all arrived too late! Such a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ooh, that's sad pt :-( Bummer indeed!

In better news, the new Vegabond store in Amsterdam is awesome! Their vegan product range can use a little tweaking (I've sent them an email with suggestions), but they already have a lot of really cool stuff like Linda McCartney meals, Wilmersburger cheese and a lot of candy and chocolates. I'm also really happy with the Dophert lunchroom. Their seitan is what my dreams are made of these days. We need to plan an Amsterdam meetup!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cornelie wrote:
Ooh, that's sad pt :-( Bummer indeed!

In better news, the new Vegabond store in Amsterdam is awesome! Their vegan product range can use a little tweaking (I've sent them an email with suggestions), but they already have a lot of really cool stuff like Linda McCartney meals, Wilmersburger cheese and a lot of candy and chocolates. I'm also really happy with the Dophert lunchroom. Their seitan is what my dreams are made of these days. We need to plan an Amsterdam meetup!

I'd love to do an AMS meet up and also hit that specialty food store in Amstelveen where they sell a bunch of import stuff. AMS is not what I think of when I think of vegan mecca in the NL (Den Haag still holds that flame), but I'm glad to hear it is improving!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

No Amsterdam is definitely not vegan mecca (even our Vegetarische Slager is less vegan friendly than the one in Den Haag), but it's improving fast!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 am 

Anyone else notice Alpro's new limoen-citron flavor? I bought it expecting "sour" not "sweet" and am grossed out. (-20 for not reading the label.) What can I do with it to try to make it less gross? Otherwise, I might toss it. I don't like wasting food, but sss jfbsjd b rlfg.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Sorry you don't like it! It is quite sweet and vanilla-y. I like it for dessert but not for breakfast.

I sometimes turn those sweet yogurts into a quick no-bake cheesecake by cooking up some agar in water, mixing it with the yoghurt and dumping it on a cookie crust. I can write down the 'recipe' if you're interested.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey guys, what's the best online shop for supplements and protein powders? I think I've asked this before, but I forgot already. I need to buy some more vegan protein powder. Thomas is using it mostly after his workouts in the morning, but I like to add scoops to smoothies now and then. I've been using a pea protein powder I bought at De Gastronoom a while back, but interested in any others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next