| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Berlin (and Germany in general)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hi all,

I just realized that there is no Germany thread. Berlin is a paradise for vegans (compared with the rest of Germany)! I plan to move there next year, and I am there very often because of my boyfriend. Plus, it seems Melisser will soon be baking next to the newly opening vegan supermarket there, so there are many reasons to visit this amazing city.

Germany in general:

Apart from happycow, you can find vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants at http://veganguide.org/ (also in english, which I guess is helpful).
A very good resource (german) is http://www.rezeptefuchs.de/. It lists many edible vegan things that you can buy in supermarkets or organic stores (under "Produkte")
In a "normal" Supermarket you are likely to find soy milk and even other plant milks. The most common brand is called Alpro. They have soy milk and soy milk with stuff (chocolate, vanilla, etc) in a normal shelf, and a very good cooled soy milk in the cooled section. They also have soy yoghurt and puddings. Next to the soy milk, there is often oat milk (most likely from the swedish brand Oatly, or, also very good, from Kölln). For other milk, you have to be lucky - depends on the supermarket. Often there is a soy-rice milk.
In an organic store, you can find all kinds of plant milk. Provamel is the organic section of Alpro, btw. There is also Sojade, which might be vegan, or not (they refuse to say what they cultivate their bacteria on).
A well-known organic store chain is called Alnatura. They have their own plant milks and lots of other products, for example small cans with spreads. The amazing thing about Alnatura is that they sell lots of their products also in some sort of drugstore called "dm" (for "Drogeriemarkt"). They don't have drugs there, but beauty stuff etc, and the Alnatura products. The beauty stuff, shampoo etc is also great there, because their own brand (Balea) is often vegan and never tested on animals. Even better is their natural cosmetics line (Alverde). About half the products are vegan and they have the vegan flower, so it's very easy to see for someone who does not speak german.
In the Dresden thread, melanie asked about margarine. The one that you can get nearly everywhere is called Alsan. It is usually lying next to the butter, and also looks like butter. It is greenish-metallic in "normal" supermarkets and orange-metallic in organic stores.
There is no Speculoos spread, but other tasty sweet spreads, for example most of the chocolate spreads of Chocoreale are vegan.
If you can't find an organic store, look for a "Reformhaus". They often have similar things.
If you are really desperate, you can order online, for example at http://www.vegan-wonderland.de/

Noooow, Berlin!

This is THE site for vegans in Berlin: http://www.berlin-vegan.de/. I don't know how much of all the information is available in english. It lists lots of activities and all vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants.
The new supermarket which will open in June (hopefully) is called Veganz http://www.facebook.com/veganz
My bf recently founded a facebook group for vegan summer activities: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_216601371689958. It's in german, but you can write in english of course.

So, feel free to ask or comment. I'm always happy to meet other vegans, if you visit Berlin or live there. I'll be there next weekend! (13.-16.5.)

Post subject: Re: Berlin (and Germany in general)
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Kölln has Oatmilk? cool!!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

smultron wrote:
The new supermarket which will open in June (hopefully) is called Veganz http://www.facebook.com/veganz

And .... *drumroll........

"Our own" Melisser will be working there! (in the bakery, or running the bakery section, don't remember that exactly)

*I have vague plans to set up a Berlin meetup this summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So, Melisser will drive to Berlin every morning? from ... Austria? (Forgot where she lives exactly)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

jerusha wrote:
So, Melisser will drive to Berlin every morning? from ... Austria? (Forgot where she lives exactly)

No, she's moving house to Berlin.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:15 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I love Berlin. I'm heading there for my birthday in about 3 weeks. It'll be the 3rd time I've visited, I'd LOVE to move there one day. I've been once since I started blogging & here are my review's/pic's http://veganinbrighton.blogspot.com/201 ... erlin.html

I'm really sad that Hans Wurst has closed, their brunch was great. It looks like a few new places have opened up since I last visited though & I want to eat at Viasko, Lucky Leek & either Yoyo or Vego foodworld. I've heard Vego's better but I think Yoyo's nearer to where I'm staying. Has anyone been to any of those places? Any other recommendations?

My favourite places to eat are...

Yellow Sunshine I love the Fakin' Fish burger and the double chicken burger with vegan cheese.
Nil It's not a vegi place but they do this awesome falafel and/or madagascar tofu with peanut sauce.
Cupcake Such a cute cupcake shop with vegan options. I like their brownies more than their cupcakes. It's in a really lovely area too, there's an ice cream shop with vegan options at the end of the street
Voner forking vegan doner kebabs! I don't think I need to say anything else.
Eis Sallon Tanne B The best vegan ice cream in Berlin (in my opinion!). They also do vegan waffles!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Jojo, how awesome!
We went to Viasko once and it was really good! The have a relatively small menu, some items chage often, prices are reasonable, staff is very friendly.
I found a really great substitute for brunch at Hans Wurst - the one at Cafe Vux in B. Neukölln. But they are usually pretty packed.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:29 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thanks for starting this thread smultron! Cool to hear about Alnatura, I’m a bit of a sucker for organic food stores and vegan beauty stuff. So excited about Berlin! Somebody mentioned that there’s a vegetarian sausage store there?! Voner looks amazing and it’s pleasing that I can make some sense of their website already (Wagenburger! Pommes!). Glad Veganz feat. Melisser should be opening in time too!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 am 

melanie wrote:
So excited about Berlin! Somebody mentioned that there’s a vegetarian sausage store there?! Voner looks amazing and it’s pleasing that I can make some sense of their website already (Wagenburger! Pommes!). Glad Veganz feat. Melisser should be opening in time too!

Are you thinking of Hot Dog Soup?

Voner is awesome, the kebab's are huge too. I think I'm just missing out on Veganz opening by a few days, I'll just have to use that as an excuse to go back to Berlin again soon!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 am 

Mihl wrote:
Jojo, how awesome!
We went to Viasko once and it was really good! The have a relatively small menu, some items chage often, prices are reasonable, staff is very friendly.
I found a really great substitute for brunch at Hans Wurst - the one at Cafe Vux in B. Neukölln. But they are usually pretty packed.

I'm glad Viasko was good. I think we'll definitely be going there if I can stop myself just eating Yellow Sunshine followed by ice cream for every meal!

Nick & I tried to go to Cafe Vux last time we were in Berlin & had a pretty crappy experience, the guy working there was SO rude to us that we ended up just leaving. I definitely wouldn't like to go back again which is a shame because the cakes did look really good!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:06 am 

Oooh has anyone heard of or been here Apple cake, black & white cookies & shortbread sound amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:44 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

So sorry to hear that! You know, experiences like that are just very berlin-like. The town used to be famous for very rude staff and rude people in general. It has gotten so much better, but from time to time you still meet some originals...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:56 am 

I will go to Friedrichshain now, since we saw that a vegan friendly cafe there, called Goodies, has Booja Booja icecream. Yay!

Viasko is really nice, they have asparagus season now I think.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:49 am 
Tofu Pup

jojo wrote:
Oooh has anyone heard of or been here Apple cake, black & white cookies & shortbread sound amazing.

My bf and I were planning to get breakfast from this shop this week-end, I'll let you know !
Another great store is Vinh-Loi (which as the name says is an Asian store), they have several locations but I've only been to the one next to U-Seestrasse so far and they have tons of cheap tempeh/tofu/mockmeat. We picked up some soy-based chicken (really good) and pepper steaks as well as chili tofu (so so good).

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:56 am 
Tofu Pup

jojo wrote:

Wow, this is just next to me, how could I not notice!?! I'll give it a try soon.

I'm pretty excited about Lucky Leek, but haven't been yet. I was a bit disappointed with Viasko when I went for a brunch, all pretty greasy faux meat stuff. Tasted pretty good though, but I guess I was hoping for something a bit healthier :)

Caramello is an ice cream shop with at least 3 locations that I know of in Prenzlauer Berg. They serve all organic and about a third of what's there are vegan options and pretty tasty too. They just opened a new place on the corner where I live and I can tellya it's a pretty dangerous situation :)

Buuut, does anyone have a clue where one might get Vital wheat gluten hereabouts?? I'm sure I'm missing out on something substituting it with flour all the time with recipes from Veganomicon.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 am 
Tofu Pup

bragur wrote:
Buuut, does anyone have a clue where one might get Vital wheat gluten hereabouts?? I'm sure I'm missing out on something substituting it with flour all the time with recipes from Veganomicon.

They have some at Veni Vedi Vegi, however it's WAY cheaper to get it from Vegan Wonderland (online store, last year we bought 5kgs of gluten for about 13€ and we have barely used one third so far !)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:50 am 

aurore wrote:
bragur wrote:

They have some at Veni Vedi Vegi, however it's WAY cheaper to get it from Vegan Wonderland (online store, last year we bought 5kgs of gluten for about 13€ and we have barely used one third so far !)

And Veganz, as soon as it opens, I guess!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I envy you guys for Veganz!! And yes to Veganwonderland. I still have half the box.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 am 
Tofu Pup

aurore wrote:
bragur wrote:

Super, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

jojo wrote:
I'm really sad that Hans Wurst has closed, their brunch was great.

Oh noooooooo. Really?! Gosh dangit. I guess I missed hearing about it since I have no DE plans this year for once. This makes me terribly sad. I loved that place. Their brunch was amazing but they always had tasty lunch food too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hallo German PPKers :)

Does anyone have a jar of Chocoreale in their kitchen? If you do, could you tell me the manufacturer or contact details on the jar? Danke!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's all good - I got RandiJM to send me the details :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pretty sure I'm heading to Germany to see my family for Christmas this year, and we'll be spending some time in Berlin for sure. I haven't been over in about six years, so I'm super excited. Even more excited than usual, since Veganz will be open! Yay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Erinnerung wrote:
Pretty sure I'm heading to Germany to see my family for Christmas this year, and we'll be spending some time in Berlin for sure. I haven't been over in about six years, so I'm super excited. Even more excited than usual, since Veganz will be open! Yay.

..and because you're going to be forced to meet me?

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, and HELLO to the other Berliners! We should have a meetup.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder