| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Berlin (and Germany in general)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I need new glasses and contacts. Does anyone have wisdom to share? Are there shops I should check out, or places to avoid? Is an eye exam from a cheap place (Fielmann, for example) as good as any other? How much have you paid for glasses and/or contacts in Germany?

I'm very nearsighted and expect to pay extra for a strong prescription, thinner lenses, etc..

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My main tip is to keep all your receipts because whatever isn't paid for by your health insurance is tax deductible!
I got my contacts with Optiker Bode. They were alright. They let me try as many types of contacts as I wanted without committing to a plan, and the eye exams were free.
My husband went with Fielman, doesn't recommend them. They apparently try to market themselves as more upscale and as a result you have to make appointments weeks in advance. Bode lets me do walk-ins and I've never had to wait long.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:22 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Aelle, thank you so much!

I see a lot of gorgeous frames in shop windows but whoa nelly, are they expensive. Fielmann has far cheaper frames, but many of them look like they'd snap in a week or less. There are no Bodes close to me, but plenty of other options. Perhaps even too many...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

aelle wrote:
Do you guys know of any (good / outstanding / your favorite for whatever reason) vegan cookbooks in German? I am not feeling inspired by the whole "vegan for fit" series. I did stumble upon a copy of "Vegane Cupcakes erobern die Welt" the other day but I'd rather get something in the original language!

I have 'Hier und jetz vegan' by Björn Moschinski who runs the Kopps restaurant. It's a seasonal cookbook with pretty pictures. The recipes look good and authentic, but I haven't made anything yet. It does use quite a lot of store bought substitutes like soy whipping cream and vegan chicken fillet.

I started a German cookbook thread a while back, but it doesn't get a lot of action: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28394&p=789599

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you! I'll see if it's available near me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There seems to be quite a lot of vegan food available in Hannover now. Has anyone eaten any in person, and if so, what can't be missed? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Gebrannte Mandeln (burnt almonds): are these usually (or ever) vegan? I was given some tonight, ate and loved them, and only then thought "WAIT, WHAT IF THERE'S BUTTER IN THESE?"

I checked three random recipes online, all of which were safe... though one mentioned that it's also possible to use beaten egg whites, I don't see that being very practical for a Weinachtsmarkt stand. But hell, how should I know? There are easily a dozen different stands selling Gebrannte Mandeln now.

Thoughts on Gebrannte Mandeln? Now that I've seen the recipes I could make my own, but it'd be nice to pick some up in the city now and then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 am 
Ninja Master

My boyfriend has booked us a weekend in Berlin over valentines day weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for somewhere nice / fancy for us to have dinner on the Saturday night. I know I'll probably have to book so thought I'd best get in there now!

He has said he's going to try going veggie in February so an all veggie/vegan place is great but even somewhere vegan friendly would be ok with me.

Thank you for any advice! :)

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:36 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hey baps, good to hear your off to Berlin the city and people are amazing. We visited in November and absolutely loved the place. Our top pick for eats and one that will definitely tick the boxes for Valentine's Day is Kopps http://www.kopps-berlin.de/?lang=en ....amazing place with equally amazing food.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

What kind of dental floss do you use? I keep finding non-vegan kinds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

A colleague told me of a super fancy, delicious restaurant in Berlin called Cookies & Cream, apparently hidden somewhere behind a theater. Anyone know it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:22 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

baps wrote:
My boyfriend has booked us a weekend in Berlin over valentines day weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for somewhere nice / fancy for us to have dinner on the Saturday night. I know I'll probably have to book so thought I'd best get in there now!

He has said he's going to try going veggie in February so an all veggie/vegan place is great but even somewhere vegan friendly would be ok with me.

Thank you for any advice! :)

We went to Mio Matto - it's all vegan fine-dining. I don't think it quite hit the heights it was aiming for, but it was good food and a nice occasion. Bonus: it's above a great little vegan supermarket. There are some snaps of the food on my blog:

https://herbivoresheaven.wordpress.com/ ... richshain/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:49 am 
Ninja Master

Ooh I'd forgotten I'd posted in here. Thanks guys x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:23 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Didn't see this before, baps, sorry! We had a fine dining extravaganza at La Mano Verde - it was pricey and a bit over-the-top, but if camp waiters flourishing serviettes entertains HG and you, you might enjoy it. http://www.lamanoverdeberlin.com/dinner ... glish.html

The best evening out we had last time was a Viasko which Jojo recommended to us - this was much less swanky, but good comfort food and great beer! http://www.viasko.de

Facts are a scam. - FootFace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi, we are travelling to Munich for 4 days next month and was hoping you guys could recommend some great restaurants from high end for evening meals to dare I say junk food for lunch.
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Si

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

For Munich I would totally recommend Max Pett for the high end evening meal, it's great food and nice, relaxed atmosphere. It's alcohol-free though, keep in mind.
For non-fancy, but absolutely awesome food I recommend Südstadt, which is a sort of punk pub. It's not vegan, but they have a vegan chef and half the menu is vegan, there's burgers, currywurst, seitan steak, and a couple of more things that are really nice. I'm not sure if they are open for lunch though!
At lunchtime you could go to Cafe Ignaz, which is a vegetarian place with a full vegan menu, everything from pizza to pasta to rice with asian-style stuff. It's good, and they have cakes and desserts too!

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 am 
Ninja Master

Ruby Rose wrote:
Didn't see this before, baps, sorry! We had a fine dining extravaganza at La Mano Verde - it was pricey and a bit over-the-top, but if camp waiters flourishing serviettes entertains HG and you, you might enjoy it. http://www.lamanoverdeberlin.com/dinner ... glish.html

The best evening out we had last time was a Viasko which Jojo recommended to us - this was much less swanky, but good comfort food and great beer! http://www.viasko.de

Thanks Hun, I think this is where we're going to try and get into. If I can pluck up the courage to call them with my terrible gcse german!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Whatever happened to the meetup...?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rebekah wrote:
Aelle, thank you so much!

I see a lot of gorgeous frames in shop windows but whoa nelly, are they expensive. Fielmann has far cheaper frames, but many of them look like they'd snap in a week or less. There are no Bodes close to me, but plenty of other options. Perhaps even too many...

Not sure if this is still relevant to you but Fielmann is great, in my opinion. I just walk in whenever there s something wrong and, yeah, sometimes I have to wait but theyre always super nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Berliners & Berlinerinnen, give me the honest truth: what are the downsides of living in Berlin? Cost, housing, commuting distances, all that stuff. I have a potential job offer and I can't tell if it's a terrible idea to consider moving.

Urgh. I love Hamburg, why does my industry have to tank now?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

aelle wrote:
Berliners & Berlinerinnen, give me the honest truth: what are the downsides of living in Berlin? Cost, housing, commuting distances, all that stuff. I have a potential job offer and I can't tell if it's a terrible idea to consider moving.

from what I can tell (and I'm mostly going on hearsay, not on a lot of data), Berlin has lower salaries than other cities. the plus side is that most things are cheaper here.

housing is fairly tight. I think I got lucky (even with a cat!) though, so maybe you will too. I know VeganInBerlin has had a much tougher time with finding somewhere based on posts on the PPK. everyone wants to live in Neukölln, Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain though, so step further out and you're fine ;) I'm by Baumschulenweg where there are so many trees and parks, and I love it. it's a 20min bike commute to work, but feels like another world when I'm out there. depending who you speak to, I'm "far out" of the city, but it's close to the things I like. I think I have a 6km commute to work, but that's one of the longest commutes of everyone in the office!

housing is getting more expensive fairly quickly.

commuting by bike is easy. buses, trains, trams are all pretty reliable (and all the transit apps give real-time updates on arrival times).

cheap flights from Berlin via easyjet, wow air, etc for holidays. bonus!

vegan food is _everywhere_, it's stupid. it's awesome.

I dunno! I think Berlin is great. I think it'll be great for a lot of reasons for quite a few years yet :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm late to the game, but I agree with Josh! Also just so happens we're almost neighbors too. Housing is really rough to find here, but also like Josh said, as soon as I considered living (just) outside the cool areas it was fine and now I'll never go back.

Besides my ongoing debate about whether or not I'm actually a city person (which has nothing to do with Berlin), I'll say that once I burnt through my several years of post-university-burnout "It's so rebellious and exciting to have an easy boring job!" phase, the never-ending holiday lifestyle of Berlin occasionally gnaws on my overachiever side. However, due to visa restrictions I could only do certain types of freelance work until recently, and I imagine my perspective will change as I apply for more exciting jobs with my new full working permission. For awhile I was really tired of hearing people constantly complaining about everything and never doing anything about it, but then I made new friends. :)

I guess the plus side is it's still cheap enough here for people to be able to have that problem.

Overall I quite like Berlin. It's losing it's chaotic anarchist edge a bit, but on the up side we have better coffee and craft beer now. And good Mexican food. Now we just need someone to make good bagels.

Pub transit is amazing, cycling here is amazing, there's so so many parks, lakes, forests, etc. easily reachable by pub transit. I think Berlin is even technically the "greenist city in Europe".

Oh, the post here sucks though. Getting mail delivered reliably up to my 4th floor flat is a constant battle. Sometimes they send it to the post office or return to sender without even ringing the buzzer while I'm sitting there in my flat just because they don't want to walk up the steps. Is it just a city thing? I haven't compared this in enough major German cities to determine if it's just Berlin.

I think Berlin is also big and varied enough that no matter what type of people you like or what you're into, you can always find it.

Oh yes and the vegan options here are effing ridiculous. I could live here 20 years and still won't have managed to eat my way through all the vegan options.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I can't believe there are SO many vegan restaurants in Berlin, I'm so excited, going there in October!

I was wondering; I see that there are tons of vegan cafés. I will need to work a bit while there, so what is your recommandation for vegan cafés in which people sit down with computers?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:23 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I'm sure just about anywhere you go will be fine, but Pele-Mele has a coworking space attached so they're 100% fine with laptops. I also spent a bunch of time at Treibholz because it was close by. probably mostly depends on your neighbourhood though :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

joshua wrote:
I'm sure just about anywhere you go will be fine, but Pele-Mele has a coworking space attached so they're 100% fine with laptops. I also spent a bunch of time at Treibholz because it was close by. probably mostly depends on your neighbourhood though :)

Thank you, I'll try both :)!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next