| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuscany!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:01 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Hi everyone,

We're going to Tuscany on holiday this year and will be mainly self-catered. I've found lots of eating-out options but not very much advice on what to look for in supermarkets... Any one have ideas/experiences to share? :) thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tuscany!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:05 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I just returned from Tuscany, and found it very easy to eat vegan over there. Most cooks in restaurants and trattoria's are willing to make something for you, and otherwise you could always order 'pasta al pomodoro' or ask to leave the cream out of the sauces. The ice cream is delicious (fruit based is almost always vegan)

As far as supermarkets go, I found it fairly easy to shop vegan there. They sell products with a '100% vegetale' logo on there, and almost all dried pastas are vegan as well, as is most refrigerated gnocchi. Most bread is vegan, they sell different kinds of plant milks and margarine in the supermarkets and there's an abundance of (locally grown) fresh and frozen vegetables available. The vegetarian and vegan movement is really growing in Italy, so I don't think you will have a hard time being there. Enjoy your time!

Post subject: Re: Tuscany!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks! I hope you had a fantastic time, too!

I found the same thing - especially the large supermarkets have an absolutely amazing variety.
And the fruit-based gelato is the best thing I've eaten in my life. Also, we found that Coop sell an own-brand chocolate that is identical to vego bars (I'm presuming the supplier is the same and vego just repackage?). The difference is that the coop version is sold for €1.49 or something like that. So, when in Italy, stock up!

Also, pizza marinara is genius.