| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty vegan products in the Low Countries
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Aaaah vegan cornettos! We need to plan a Belgium meetup soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

Yes, definitely!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A vegetarian shop in Ghent: http://www.vedge.be/! Going to check it out next saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ooh! Let us know how it is, fisticuffs! Their website doesn't really give a lot of info.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

fisticuffs wrote:
A vegetarian shop in Ghent: http://www.vedge.be/! Going to check it out next saturday.

How is it? It's gonna take awhile before I go to Ghent again, but I'm very curious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I forgot to mention! I was in Amsterdam last week and swung by the BioMarkt and now, in addition to the Blue Style and the Smoked Cheddar Sheese, they had the Creamy Cheddar Style Spread! So good! I've been eating it spread on toasted Marks and Spencer bagels and it's pretty much the best thing ever. And pretty much gone. And now I'm sad. Gonna have to place an order for more of this shiitake.

Speaking of ordering, has anyone in Belgium tried ordering from the ARF webshop? I wanted to place an order today, and literally every item I was interested in was sold out. (I was looking for mainly TVP and various cheese type items. Oh, and Go Max Go bars.) I wonder if they're having stocking issues.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 am 

The Veggiedeli webshop now stock blocks of Wilmersburger cheese in addition to the slices and shreds. When I get my hands on them, I'm totally gonna sit on the couch stroking the little block and wispering 'my precious'! Then I'm gonna see if our kaasschaaf still works and slice off itty bitty pieces and pop them straight into my mouth. I can't believe I actually miss those one pound blocks of cheap Gouda that I used to live on as a student.

At €5,60 (5,30 with the current discount) for 300 g, these come pretty close to the price of organic dairy cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Cornelie wrote:
The Veggiedeli webshop now stock blocks of Wilmersburger cheese in addition to the slices and shreds. When I get my hands on them, I'm totally gonna sit on the couch stroking the little block and wispering 'my precious'!

Hahaha! Watch out for the nasty hobbitses trying to steal your Wilmersburger.

I saw their announcement about the blocks on FB today. Unfortunately (well, not really unfortunately) I just got a huge order from Veggiedeli on Friday, so it'll be a while before I order anything more from them. Let us know how it is! I'm dying to try their cheddar block when I finally get the chance to order again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:07 am 
Naked Under Apron

Thomas and I are thinking of taking a little trip out tomorrow to den haag or Rotterdam. I kind of want to go to den haag to try the snack bar and hit veggie4u for some Wilmersburger cheese. I saw on the Wilmersburger site that Heavenly Cupcakes in r'dam is listed as a supplier. Do they have groceries there? Or is that just the veggie deli pick-up thing?

Also, if I go to the snack bar, what should I get?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm 

Heavenly cupcakes sells Wilmersburger over the counter as groceries so you can just go there and buy some, you don't need to order it.

I have only been to the snackbar once so I'm no expert, but I really liked their vegan kroket (the regular one, not the one with mushrooms). David had the pita with 'karma' shawarma and it was good too, but not very special. The next time I'm going there I want to try the 'berenklauw', which is a big hunk of skewered meatball and onion slices. I never had the omni version, so I'm very curious to know what it's like. Their fries and mayo are good too. If you're into fast food abominations, try their vegan version of the infamous 'kapsalon': fries topped with shawarma and cheese, put under a grill and topped with salad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow. I was not sure about the snackbar --- but I think if I marathon cycled the day before going, I would be all over that kapsalon + berenklauw.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

After complaining about the lack of Mexican food roughly every other day for the last year, I found a Toko really close to our place that has a giant wall of Mexican deliciousness! All kinds of dried and canned chilis, a ton of different sauces and corn tortillas! SO excited!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm 

Lucky you muffinpants! Which toko is it? Tjin's maybe? I've been meaning to go there some time. Chipotles and corn tortilla's are almost impossible to find anywhere around here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Yes, it's the Tjin's! I'm going back tomorrow so I can double check, but I am almost positive they had dried chipotles and they had a whole freezer full of different sizes of corn tortillas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 am 

muffinpants wrote:
Yes, it's the Tjin's! I'm going back tomorrow so I can double check, but I am almost positive they had dried chipotles and they had a whole freezer full of different sizes of corn tortillas.

Oooh, I just found out they have a webshop now too. Bit ridiculous for me to order from there since I live relatively close but it might be useful for other peeps on here. http://tjinstoko.eu/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Cornelie wrote:
muffinpants wrote:

Oooh, I just found out they have a webshop now too. Bit ridiculous for me to order from there since I live relatively close but it might be useful for other peeps on here. http://tjinstoko.eu/

Thank you! This is awesome!

Muffinpants, I'm jealous of your new location. :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

Cornelie wrote:
muffinpants wrote:

Holy shiitake! I too have been complaining about the lack of any Latin food around here. For three years now. I even smuggled back bags of dried chiles and corn husks from the states. I'm excited to see what they have in stock. I brought a few cans of chipotle in adobo back, but only four small ones since canned stuff usually spells overweight luggage fees.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:54 am 
Naked Under Apron

Just found the mother load: Chipotle in Adobo!

http://tjinstoko.eu/en/canned-peppers/2 ... 199gr.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:04 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm also stoked that they carry Cholula hot sauce and confectioner's sugar. I won't have need for Cholula hot sauce for a while since I have a stock pile from the states, but I'm always looking for powdered sugar. The only way I can find powdered sugar here is in the canister's for sprinkling - the ones they sell near the pannenkoeken mix. It works in a pinch, but bags seem so much more useful. I hate buying the cans - it seems so wasteful. Also, I think there is cornstarch in there. I would be willing to buy some overpriced Domino's confectioner's sugar from this place.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow! That's awesome. Remind me to send you guys a link to a facebook at home business which makes corn tortillas at home in NL. It's something like 5 euro's for 1kg of tortillas (60ish). You can eventually get free shipping, but probably only if everyone orders 1-2 packages and then we schedule a meetup.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Link: https://www.facebook.com/tortillafactoryhalfweg

The tortillas are soooooo good. I think she started selling cornflour mixes for tamales, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

That's awesome!

I'm ordering a few things from veggiedeli and I'm curious about the mayos they have there. I usually get the vegan mayo that they sell at the EkoPlazas (not sure the brand), but veggiedeli has Vayonaise and Plamil brand mayos. Anyone tried these? Is one of them the mystical amazing mayo from Belgium?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, I want that 1kg bag of mayo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 am 

Those tortilla's look good lutin! Halfweg is within cycling distance for us...

I haven't tried any of the Veggiedeli mayos. I usually make my own following the EVA recipe, or I get Smaakt eggless mayo from Jumbo (tiny expensive jar, but the taste is good).

Have you guys tried the new Vivera lupin (locally grown) meat alternatives yet? There are 'stukjes', 'spiesjes' and nuggets. I really like them. They have a nice chewy layered texture that is a little meaty, but not overly so, and the exterior gets nice and crisp if you fry them in some oil. They are currently sold in only a few supermarkets, including Coop, Dekamarkt, Deen, Plus, C1000, Vomar en Dirk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pickledtreats wrote:
That's awesome!

I'm ordering a few things from veggiedeli and I'm curious about the mayos they have there. I usually get the vegan mayo that they sell at the EkoPlazas (not sure the brand), but veggiedeli has Vayonaise and Plamil brand mayos. Anyone tried these? Is one of them the mystical amazing mayo from Belgium?

Vayonaise is German, I believe, and Plamil is from the UK. I've tried the Plamil mayos and they're really good. When I last ordered from Veggiedeli, they sent me a sample of Vayonaise, but I haven't tried it yet.

This is the mystical Belgian mayo. It's almost impossible to search for online because it doesn't have a brand name beyond "veganaise" and I don't think the company that makes it has a website or anything.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next