| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty vegan products in the Low Countries
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

These webshops have pretty good prices for rice, hemp and pea protein.
http://www.rawfoodvena.nl/eiwitpoeder-shakes
http://rawnutritions.nl/superproteins.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Links! I like links.

re: cheesecake. I was thinking about doing something like that cornelie (no need to post a recipe; I can wing it), but I'm still not sure. The taste was so off-putting. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So...what's the best potato for making gnocchi? I'm always overwhelmed by the potato options at the shops.

Also, why can't I find a potato with a thick skin here? Like the kind we use for baked potatoes in the states (jacket potatoes to the Brits)? I know those are usually Idaho potatoes, but I figured the Dutch had something similar. I've never found it, but I'm kinda craving a baked potato!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Dutch potatoes vary between 'vastkokend' (waxy) and 'kruimig' (floury). There are some intermediate categories like 'iets kruimig' and extremes like 'zeer kruimig'. Usually the type is mentioned somewhere on the bag. For gnocchi (and mashed potatoes in general) you need floury/kruimige potatoes.

For baked potatoes I also like a floury potatoes. I don't really know what you mean with 'thick skinned' so maybe that type of potato doesn't exist here (Dutch people traditionally don't bake their potatoes). Potatoes do get a thicker skin when they are stored for the winter, so maybe you'll have good luck with some of the cheaper varieties that have been stored for longer. Take care though, because winter potatoes are often treated with a chemical that prevents sprouting. Washing and scrubbing them really well probably removes some of it, but I've never been able to find good information on that other than the advice to 'peel winter potatoes because the skin may be treated with anti-sprouting agent'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Albert Heijn has three new vegan products! Teriyaki stir fry strips, a couscous veggieburger and a lentil burger. Haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm irrationally excited anyway. With the tofu products, falafel, veggie crumbles and the recently introduced pea protein stuff, this brings the vegan options on the veggie meat shelf to over 10 products!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:16 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes I am excited too! I haven't tried anything yet, either. Will put Mr. Bun on the case!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Fisticuffs and I checked out the new Albert Heijn in Gent on Friday. (First time in an AH in Belgium!) The didn't have the full range of new vleesvervangers (they had a lot of the older ones that aren't vegan, plus the tofu products) but they did have the teriyaki strips. I just made them in a stir fry and they were really good. Texture-wise, they reminded me of the chicken from the Vegetarische Slager, but with a nice teriyaki sauce.

lutin wrote:
Anyone else notice Alpro's new limoen-citron flavor? I bought it expecting "sour" not "sweet" and am grossed out. (-20 for not reading the label.) What can I do with it to try to make it less gross? Otherwise, I might toss it. I don't like wasting food, but sss jfbsjd b rlfg.

I got a container of this too, and I love it! (I like sweet yogurt and also sweet lemon/lime combos.) I would so have taken this off your hands.

It was interesting being in what feels to me like an "oer Hollandse" store in Belgium. Oh, and they have BEANS!! Varieties of canned beans other than white beans are hard to find here. It really surprised me. Belgium is not a bean culture. I got kidney and black beans while I was there, but now wish I'd got some "Hollandse bruine bonen". Mmmmm... Oh, and I forgot to check if they had Conimex products as the wok noodles are a staple in my kitchen. Will just have to go back!

I did get a package of the accidentally-vegan, roll-out pizza dough, a jar of Zaanse mosterd (fijn, which I've never even seen), and a couple of packages of Cats, which have to be the cutest potato snack ever.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:14 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I love Cats! Even cuter than Pombär.

My favorite thing from AH is their accidentally vegan organic pesto (guess it's cheaper for them to leave out the cheese?). It has saved many I'm-dead-tired-so-let's-eat-pasta dinners in our house.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The pesto wasn't there! Those Cats are so salty though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am 

fisticuffs wrote:
The pesto wasn't there! Those Cats are so salty though.

Yep, we looked for the pesto. I didn't find the Cats too salty (but I was in the mood for a salty snack) but funnily enough, I sometimes do find that pesto too salty.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here, but there's a brand available at the Marqt that has a pesto rosso that is vegan (they've got one with cheese too, so read carefully). I have to check for sure to find the name, but it's really good!

This is not exactly Low Coutries specific, but I went to Vegan Cross when I was in London and got a couple packages of Jeezini cheese slices, and they were really really good! I think they're comperable, style-wise, to the Wilmersberger, but I actually liked the flavor even more! I got the Santi and the Celtic flavor. The Santi reminded me of a smoked gouda, and the Celtic is like a cheddar. I've been enjoying them in sandwiches with Redwood chicken/ham slices and veganaise. Omnomnomnom...

Apparently, Vegan Cross also has Field Roast sausages, but they were out when I was there. They do ship, so when I see that they have both the Field Roast and the Jeezini back in stock, I may be placing an order! Whoohoo! Field Roast! Oh, how I've missed you.

ETA: The pesto rosso I meant was La Selva. They have a couple vegan pestos, including a rucola one, but eh pesto rosso is my fave. Just be careful when grabbing the jar because they also have a pesto rosso with ricotta that looks almost exactly the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I found this hazelnut chocolate paste at the AH and it's pretty darn close to Nutella! I sometimes find the vegan chocolate pastes to be too chocolatey or like frosting, but this one is better.

http://www.damhert.be/producten.cfm?id=19900

I'm putting in a VeggieDeli order and I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for new products to try. I'm curious about the American-style dressing. It looks like Thousand Island, but I'm also scared it will taste horrible.

I really wish they would sell that Belgian vegan mayo. I'm on my last jar!

Oh...and a vegetarian/vegan cafe opened here in Breda and I went to eat there yesterday. I'm very sad to report the food was almost inedible. It's been a long time since I could barely finish my food. We got a salad and sandwich to share and both were sad. I'm bummed, because I want it to do well!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My favorite 'nutella' is the Penotti soy hazelnut chocolate paste. We get it from Ekoplaza. I'll try the Damhert one if I come accross it.

From Veggiedeli, I love the new Vantastic Foods Parmesan, so much like the real stuff. I'm also curious about the new MyEy egg replacers, especially the egg white one.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:10 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

There is vegan mayonaise available in supermarket.

http://www.remia.nl/producten/mayonaise/104/

I'm not sure what to think of it because I think it tastes very much like the regular stuff in snackbars, or at least how I remember it and I'm not used to the sweet taste any more.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:39 am 

I stumbled upon these veggie loempias in the freezer section at the Colruyt and have gone through almost a full bag in a few days. I'm being lazy and just popping them in the microwave for a couple of minutes, so they're not even as crisp as they would be if you fried them, but even so, I'm a little addicted.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't know if this has been posted here, and I honestly didn't search, but the Vegetarian Butcher shop in Den Haag has GREAT salsa and frozen corn tortillas!!! They have two types of salsa - a hot green one and a smoky chipolte red one. Yum!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ooh, that's good to know! Thanks Robynn.

Some supermarkets started carrying Goody Good Stuff candy: sour mix, gummi bears, cola bottle, peaches and cherries. I used to order it from Veggiedeli every once in a while, but now I can buy it at AH or Jumbo. So dangerous!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

They are addicting! I tryed the peaches and the cherrys and i love them even more than the "original" product.
I hope that someday there wil be vegan "drop-fruit duo's"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:14 pm 

I love the cola bottles!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They are so good. They even have them at the AH here in Breda, so they must be everywhere. They are dangerous! I also like the zuur maaten (I think that's the spelling). They are usually vegan and really good. Not the Goody Good Stuff brand, but another big brand. I accidentally discovered they were vegan when a student brought them into school. Poor kid didn't have a chance! I mean, why risk denying your teacher candy, right? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 am 
So Totally Yiffy

mayby from Redband?

i know dat haribo always use gelatine from pigs and redband don't. I once had their strawberries... but i thought that they were to sweet. Like, eat one and be sick.

i love the goodie good stuff :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

miepmans86 wrote:
mayby from Redband?

i know dat haribo always use gelatine from pigs and redband don't. I once had their strawberries... but i thought that they were to sweet. Like, eat one and be sick.

Actually, haribo do make some halal stuff that doesn't have gelatine in, but I think most of the stuff I've seen is still unsuitable because of shellac or something like that. I do seem to remember they had one or two things that looked vegan though, so it's worth checking if you see the halal sign on any haribo packets.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

dropscone wrote:
miepmans86 wrote:
mayby from Redband?

Actually, haribo do make some halal stuff that doesn't have gelatine in, but I think most of the stuff I've seen is still unsuitable because of shellac or something like that. I do seem to remember they had one or two things that looked vegan though, so it's worth checking if you see the halal sign on any haribo packets.

i think they changed it then. When i was an intern i've learned from the (muslim) mothers and children that haribo was the brand to neglegt (?)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:40 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I hope this is the place to do this, as I'm super new to the board, but I was wondering if anyone had any links non-food related products for living in the Netherlands.

I'm relocating to Groningen in a few weeks and need toothpaste and soap, well to be fair I can probably make soap but home made toothpaste is always a little to austere for me. Is it possible to buy it off the shelf in places like Jumbo and AH?

Thanks, very much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I normally live in Groningen (and will be there again from September on)! Welcome! The Dutch vegan society maintains a Wiki with all kinds of product info. You have to search for Dutch terms (like tandpasta for toothpaste), but it's worth it: they have results broken down by brand, shop and often include links to websites. http://wiki.veganisme.org/index.php/Hoofdpagina afaik all of paradontax's line are vegan, and they're widely available. You can walk into any shop/drugstore anywhere and find their products. EkoPlaza, the main eco shop in Groningen, also sells 1-2 hippie brands which are vegan, but I've never tried them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:18 am 

Welcome!

I really like the Lavera mint toothpaste. I have bought mine both at Vegalife and at the Marqt in Amsterdam, but I don't think there's a Marqt in Groningen yet. They do often sell Lavera at health food stores, though. According to the link that lutin posted, Prodent, which is pretty much available at any Etos or Kruidvat is also vegan (although I believe they're owned by Unilever, so depending on how you feel about parent companies, that may exclude them).

As for soaps, I'm pretty sure Kneipp is mostly vegan (except for some products with beeswax or honey) and those are also available at most mainstream drugstores.

We've got a small but pretty active, friendly, and helpful group of lowland based PPKers (in NL and BE), so if you have any questions, there'll pretty much always be someone here who can help! Maybe we'll see you at the next gathering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next