| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life in the Lowlands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Since the 'products' thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=21063 was getting offtopic (not so much about products anymore), I made a new thread for other kinds of talking.

Bhadra wrote:
Things being in Dutch isn't a bad thing, I'm trying to learn to speak and read as much as I can before I get there (plus I like a challenge). It's not the same living in a country and not being able to speak the language. Plus being half Dutch I feel a little obliged to learn, in a good way.

Failing that there is always Google and Mac translate.

Lutin I would appreciate a tour, that would be cool. The only other person I know in Groningen is a German girl from Hamburg, you you have officially doubled the circle of people I know :D and she isn't vegan either.

What do you study/do at the University?

I'm in my last year as a PhD at the RUG. ....There are quite a few Germans around. Most of the Psychology Faculty is German, actually. Not many Dutchies there, they all go elsewhere (Rotterdam or Nijmegen). Did you see the PM I sent with more specific Groningen info? And sure, I'd be happy to show you around.

When I started a couple of years ago, Dutch was definitely required. But the university has been actively (aggressively) recruiting from abroad --- one of the grad programme directors recently told me the RUG is now the most international university in the Netherlands --- so there's a lot more English in the city now, too. A lot. Dutch is definitely helpful, e.g. my dept. is one of the last primarily Dutch depts. in the university, so even dept./research group meetings default to Dutch unless I specifically ask to switch to English. But pretty much in every other context, English is the norm.

Post subject: Re: People and events and etc. in the Lowlands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:59 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for starting the thread sorry for going OT.

Yeah the Girl I know from Hamburg is doing Undergrad Psychology. I suspect its because the admission standards in Holland are a little different, and it may be easier to get in to Psych in Holland than Germany. Whats your Phd in?

I'm doing an Ma, hoping to move on to Phd after research masters.

I guess the international recruiting might be good for opportunities in academia, but it may have something of a cultural impact. Which is to say it would have a cultural impact on Groningen. It will be interesting to see as much of my experience of the Netherlands is small towns which aren't so cosmopolitan.

I didn't get your Pm, are there some settings I need to change for that?

Post subject: Re: People and events and etc. in the Lowlands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Bhadra wrote:
I didn't get your Pm, are there some settings I need to change for that?

Bizarre. I saw it in my outbox folder for a little while, and can't find it now. I just resent it. I think the default for PM's is that, when one is sent, a message will go to your username's email address telling you you have one. If you look at the very top right of the screen, there is a link to your PM folder ("0/1/whatever new messages").