| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paderborn, Germany? (please?)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it is a bit of a long shot asking about this on the PPK, but maybe some of you German folks can help me. In September, I have a five day conference in the beautiful town of Paderborn. The conference will probably provide me with some lunches and one dinner, but I need to feed myself the rest of the time (and have backups for if they screw up).

I saw on Happycow that there is a decent health food store with vegan foods in the city center near the conference venue, and Google found me an Indian restaurant with a few possible vegan options (provided they can be made without ghee), and a some Italian places where they can probably make me a good old cheese-less pizza with veggies.

This means I won't starve, but it would be nice to have a few more options, especially since my colleagues probably won't want to go to the same restaurant twice. I could also use some tips on what to eat if we end up in a traditional German restaurant, other than plain salad, bread and potatoes. My German is a bit awkward, but sufficient for asking vegan questions if I have to.

I will of course bring the usual emergency foods such as dried fruit, nuts and jerky.

Post subject: Re: Paderborn, Germany? (please?)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I solved my own problem :-) There is actually special facebook group for Paderborn vegans! They have some very useful lists: http://www.facebook.com/groups/379278935426744/files/

Post subject: Re: Paderborn, Germany? (please?)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Good that you found something. A traditional German restaurant is not gonna be a good option though, so maybe you can convince your colleagues to go elsewhere? Make sure in these restaurants that the salad comes with vinegar and oil, their dressings can be tricky. plus maybe you'll have to ask them to remove the meat from your salad when ordering.
But places OTHER than traditional German aren't bad! :)