| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Naples!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So, we might be moving to Naples (technically, I think it's Lago Patria and unclear exactly where we'd be able to live).

Does anyone have any tips, advice, warnings? I'm already planning on lots of trips to Country House Montali and am excited that maybe I can buy the Foggia olive oil I used to love again. But besides "wasn't there like a year-long garbage strike a few years back?" I know very little about that part of Italy. We've only been as far south as Perugia, I think.

We can take some nonperishable food over with us on the move, and we'll have access to "normal" grocery store stuff at the commissary. It looks like there's a natural supermarket in Naples, so I assume that will be my new home base for vegstuffs. Also, I might be having a baby right after getting there, so there's that.

Post subject: Re: Naples!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:00 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

hah. I'll be there on Tuesday! I'll get the lay of the land for you :P

in general, your average Euro health food store isn't as fun as an American counterpart - you'll (usually) get every basic you need, but there are fewer lazy options. not sure how Naples fits on that scale though

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip! I lived in Amsterdam for a few years so I know a little bit about there being less convenience foods, and expect that Italy will have even less... though it's always fun to discover accidentally vegan things in other countries! I am seeing some packaged apricot croissants online that look fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i don't know anything about the area, but i recently found this italian brand of soy ice cream products at a health food store here in belgium. i'm guessing if it's available here, it should be readily available there. the cornettos were ok (a bit soggy) but the mini magnums were really yummy!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have eaten that brand of ice cream in Berlin! It was great! (Also, Naples! Rock on. Haven't been there, but being forced to move someplace sunny sounds great.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha...well, compared to here Naples is not really sunny ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:03 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi, I lived in Naples for a couple of years. There are health food shops which sell tofu etc. I agree the lazy options don't really exist in Europe. The supermarkets all have soya milk and icecream!!! The best however, for me, was the amazingly cheap marinara pizza. In Naples it is one of the most traditional and only has tomatoes, garlic and basil. In the rest of Italy marinara means with sea food.
Have a wonderful time, it is a beautiful area, not without its problems but beautiful!
If you need any more info please ask!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 am 

so the 24h that I had there basically works as KateSpain said. lots of tomato and bread/dough things..which is pretty much my dream life. your mileage may vary :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Aren't the pizzas amazing? I lived in different parts of Italy but the pizza in Naples is the best I have ever had! Some say the secret is the flour or the water, who knows and who cares when you get fresh cheap pizza at all hours of the day!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 am 

not just pizza, but focaccia and bruschetta <3 I doubt you'll find vegan risotto, but that's my go-to comfort meal. tomato and starch!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I didn't spend much time in Naples, but if you go across the bay to Sorrento there is an all vegetarian/vegan restaurant just above the main downtown street. If I remember the exact name I'll post it. It has a bright green awning with the name spelled out in pink letters. Sorrento is not very big. Mondo Bio maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So it turns out Naples has been preempted by a higher priority job to fill and is now our backup, so it looks like we probably won't be living there!! But chances are very high that my husband would have to go for work at some point and I would probably tag along, so maybe I'll get to check out that veggie place after all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hahaha and now it looks like Naples again (same job, but it's in a different place than they thought).

But I'll believe any of it when I'm actually there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:45 am 
WRETCHED

My husband and I are looking forward to the pizza when we visit Naples. The early series of ItalianPod101 has a woman from Naples who gives language tips, especially in terms of her heritage. I found free episodes of it on iTunes and you can get a free trial for a week to get access to all their podcasts. I downloaded the newbie series for my husband to listen to since he wants a little exposure to Italian.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So today we finally got out to Tropical Fruits (Via Montesanto 6), near the bottom of Funicular #4 (I think - the one from Morghen->Montesanto). It's a small store but has lots of nice things for the space! I took pictures of my haul, which was definitely not all the vegan stuff they had. I *think* all of this is vegan but I didn't have my dictionary with me, so I'll re-check ingredients when I have a chance and update later.

As I was walking around in Vomero, I also noticed a sign for another promising looking store, though it was closed (on a Saturday afternoon).

Here's their website: http://www.campaniafelixnapoli.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Brava!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

Arg plum cake has eggs in it (and the ingredients are in about 8 languages including English! How did I miss this? Well, someone will enjoy them, meanwhile everything else I've tried has been vegan and awesome. I'm not sure the Le Creme brand chocolate-hazelnut spread is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it *tastes* delicious, but it's not as thick/solid as the Chocoreal or Neuhaus ones I've tried, and when you open the jar up it's already about 1/3 empty! So it's a little messier than alternatives. But they had SEVERAL kinds to try, so I'll be back there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:51 am 
Nooch of Earl

Ate here last night:

La Taverna dei Sapori
Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi 215, Monte Di Procida, Italy
081-868-4347

Monte di Procida is in the Bacoli area (peninsula SW of Naples proper). Gorgeous drive up the mountain and not hard to get to or park near. The menu isn't specifically vegan but the owner is very friendly and knowledgable about veg*n restrictions. They advertise in one of the base newspapers as being veg-friendly and have a lot of int'l customers (probably because the owner speaks English fluently and a lot of expats live in that area). Anyway, I had a wonderful appetizer platter of breaded squash blossoms, a fennel salad, mixed grilled vegetables, and bruschetta. For a first course I had pasta with the house-made cheeseless (!!) pesto. The baked desserts all had eggs or dairy but she made me a beautiful plate of fresh cherries with balsamic vinegar.