| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice, France
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So, I will be visiting one of my friends in May, who is staying in Nice for 6 months. But the internet seems to suggest that Nice is basically the land of no vegan food. I would LOVE to be able to go out and eat at least once when I visit, so dear ppk'ers, help a girl out! I speak decent french, so communication is not an issue (I hope! haha), but figuring out where to go is.
Are there any awesome health food stores in Nice? Great supermarkets for getting soy yogurt?

Also, a pretty different question: I'm an architecture student, so I really want to go out and draw awesome architecture, any leads on what I should check out? And are there any awesome art museums? I'm really into contemporary art, but I'm up for anything.

Post subject: Re: Nice, France
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I went there for a week or so. We stayed at a couple bedroom rental with a kitchen, and that helped a bit. Did a bunch of day trips (Eze, Cannes, Monaco) and I don't remember it being that difficult, but I was with a friend who is fluent in French and would have these long conversations that I didn't understand a word of but eventually ended in my getting vegan food. I don't even remember where we went out to eat specifically within Nice (maybe some middle eastern type stuff?), just that in general France is a place where if you can communicate what you need, no self respecting chef is going to make you go hungry.

This is maybe the least helpful post ever, sorry. I don't remember Nice having very interesting architecture but the sculpture garden at Eze is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

You can get soy yogurt in the regular Monoprix stores--there is a big one in the town centre. There are a bunch of organic health food shops. Look for Bio Coop, La Vie Claire, and Bio Marche. You can get tofu, yogurt, everything you'll need there.

For vegan-friendly restaurants, the main one is Le Speakeasy, which is a teeny tiny hole-in-the-wall run by a lady from California. It's old school 1970s-style vegan, and you can get a full vegan meal there.

But what you really want to eat is socca! It's market street food, a large chickpea pancake, seasoned with salt and pepper. It's soooo good.

For architecture, the Russian Orthodox Cathedral and the Chagall Museum should serve you well. If you have time for a side trip to the Fondation Maeght in St. Paul de Vence nearby, it's very worth it. And of course beach lounging in Nice is divine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes! The Chagall Museum is great!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey there!

Nice isn't so bad for vegan food! Because it is so close to Italy, it luckily shares a lot of the same food, being more olive-oil based than dairy based...

Definitely agree with mollases_jane... You'll want to try Socca! It's a chickpea based pancake cooked in a wood oven and is amazing. I recommend Chez Pipo near the port for the best Socca in town... I've tried other soccas around Nice and have to say, they just don't compare!

Also, you should head over to Menton and go to the Loving Hut. It's 100% vegan and have really yummy food in a beautiful restaurant right by the sea! You can also get a bunch of desserts etc from there.

I don't know if you'll have time to go over to Italy, but it's only about an hour on the train. In all the supermarkets in Italy you can find amazing vegan icecream called ValSoia which is available in loads of flavours!

In France, the word 'vegan' or 'vegetalien' is not so well-known and is rarely on any labels... But you can always look for the words '100% vegetal' which is often on products in the organic sections etc... (And on the ValSoia icecream!).

Check out HappyCow for more suggestions!

Hope you have a great time!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 am 
Tofu Pup

I forgot to add... I think the store: Diététique Malausséna on Avenue Jean Medecin (along the main tram line) is probably one of the best places to get vegan food... They have a range of vegan cheeses, meats and even Ice cream (although the ice cream is about twice the price of the ice cream you can find in Italy!).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't think many people are vegan in Nice, France is not like the US or Northern european countries :(

But Nice is not a bad place for vegan, as specialties thare are quite vegan friendly.
You have Socca, which is made from chick-peas flour ; Tourte de blette which is a chard cakes and Pan bagnat which is a sandwich with ,mainly,olive oil and tomatoes. For those, you just have to ask if there are anchovies in them.