| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Munich airport - food?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 am 
WRETCHED

Has anyone ever flown through Munich? Are there any good vegan food options? We will have a short layover there.

Post subject: Re: Munich airport - food?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Not really! There are lots of fresh fruit smoothies, and I even found soy milk for a cappuccino, but more robust food... you're looking at a lot of breze and salad, I'm afraid.
There is a tiny supermarket which has some decent stuff, but I don't remember if I saw tofu snacks. The bread though is vegan in the bakery, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am 
WRETCHED

Ok thanks :) We are bringing peanut butter packets and some nuts so I'll be sure we have something on our flight home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:20 am 
Nooch of Earl

We were there a few weeks ago. We stopped at a bio place near the lufthansa customer support area that had fruit cups (I know! FRUIT CUP! SCORE.) and what looked like a possibly veganizable-friendly atmosphere.

There's this that I found while googling the same question: http://blog.nativefoods.com/nativefoods ... eport.html

Are you doing the Dulles->Munich->Naples route? We just flew those, and there's a great wine bar by gate C4 in Dulles, very near where our flight left out of. I am tragically pregnant so we didn't go there this time, but it has some tasty wines and a few light tapas that are veg-friendly, if you don't mind paying through the nose for things like olives or almonds. Good way to pass the time, anyway, if you drink. (Fair warning: I am not super careful about wine when eating out as I am a lazybutt bad vegan, so I didn't research veganity carefully) Vino Volo is the name, I think.

On the flight out of Munich, they gave us an oat cereal and yogurt. They're separate, but I didn't realize this so I turned it down. If I'd known they were separate I would have at least taken it to check the ingredients of the cereal and given the yogurt to my ovo-lacto husband. It was muesli with chocolate.

There's not much near the gate itself, though they have these neat free beverage kiosks. The coffee stuff mostly seemed like nonvegan blends (Heheheh "wiener melange" heheheh), but they had tea as well. It was a nice gesture. I was very impressed with Lufthansa, once we actually got an actual seat on the plane (united ALWAYS screws this up)!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

Lufthansa's website says you can request an Asian vegetarian meal if you call so I am going to call. At Dulles, we always pick up Chipotle (B gate I believe but right where tram is at) . On the way to Italy, we have a direct flight but there were no direct flights back from Naples and I didn't want to take the train back to Rome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Munich is generally my final destination when I fly there, so I usually don't need to worry about food. However, the one time I was stuck in Terminal 2 for a while because my plane was late, I used my food voucher for a salad cup and brezel at aforementioned organic place. There are the usual little stores with snacks too. Of course there is vegan beer to be had too. If you leave the terminal there's a supermarket just outside, but generally German supermarkets don't have much in the way of grab-and-go food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am 
WRETCHED

My one joy of going to Munich many years ago was getting pretzels in my dinner bread basket. I would totally chow down on pretzels.