| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Croatia!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

NB and I are going to Croatia for 2 weeks at the end of May, going on island adventures from Split. We're looking forward to nature adventures (bouldering, deep water soloing, hiking, sea kayaking, etc.) and sunshine. Has anyone else been to Croatia? Do you have tips, suggestions, anything to help us plan our trip? I've been dreaming about blue waters forever. I know end of May is a little early in the season, but I will swim in cold 13c waters in Denmark, so ... :))))

Post subject: Re: Croatia!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:57 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yesssss!
It is so beautiful there, I can't even stand it! I have cousins living in Split, and it is a beautiful city.

I wish I could have done more adventuring, but I was there with family and could only do whatever everyone was doing. We went to Plitvice Lakes (not on the coast at all) and the shortest, most popular trail was a never ending line, but I bet it would be great to do the longer hikes and lose all the people. It is an unreal landscape. The coast is mountainous, so I would bet there could be some great bouldering somewhere. Bring snorkels so you don't have to take your faces out of the beautiful water!

I know the biggest grocery store with the biggest vegan selection I went to was in Split, but you may not be cooking- when I was there with my fam, we were staying in my Aunt's place maybe a half hour drive south of Split and cooking every day, you may not be doing that. There may even be some sort of co-op for all I know, I spent the entire trip just being shuffled around by my cousin. The good thing is that, especially in the coastal region, its not too hard for every restaurant to make something vegan for you, since they don't rely on butter and use copious amounts of olive oil for things instead. I was often getting grilled veggies, salad, and blitva, and I was never hungry, even if I was short on the proteins. The grilled veggies were always good- but I was there in September when the red peppers, etc were amazingly good, so who knows. Salad is often greens and potatoes, but there are other salads as well, and blitva is Swiss chard with potatoes and is ubiquitous, and vegan. I was also able to get pasta and risotto that were vegan but I had family members who speak Croatian explaining my requirements. However, a lot of the young people do speak English.

You can try asking some of the ice cream places if they have a chocolate sorbet. At least one cart in Dubrovnik had vegan chocolate sorbet, so maybe you can find it elsewhere.

I also like how every family has their own vineyard and then I was getting offered glasses of wine before lunch, but maybe that is just me :p So jealous of your trip! My family is thinking of going back in September, I am hoping that maybe I can go too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:21 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Yes, I've been there to Split and the island Bol! Split has a few vegan restaurants and you can even find vegan cheese and stuff there. Bajadera chocolates are accidentally vegan and freaking delicious.

Bol had no specifically vegan things, but was totally survivable. There's a Croatian dish made from collards and potato with olive oil that I lived off of, and vegetable platters were an option at almost every restaurant, plus there was soymilk in the little shops on the island, so you could eat cereal and buy pasta and sauce. Bol also had a smoothie stand on the beach and a corn in the cob stand.

JoJo's posts about Croatia are quite helpful, here's a couple and you can search "Croatia" in the search box too.

http://veganinbrighton.blogspot.de/2015 ... ovnik.html

http://veganinbrighton.blogspot.de/2013 ... s-and.html

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wasn't a climber at the time but we saw some really awesome top-rope problems in Paklenica.

My main tip is to stay in rental apartments. At every bus arrival you will have people advertizing holiday apartments in / adjacent to their homes, and (at least when we were there 3 years ago) it was always nicer and cheaper than hostels, plus you get a kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:45 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

We already booked places on airbnb (one recommended by pickledtreats; another we found ourselves). Both seemed kind of expensive (45-50 eur per night), but it's done. We're bringing shoes for dws bouldering -- probably no climbing, because we didn't want to bring the gear. (eta: NB would also prefer that I do a lead climbing course before we climb outside just the two of us.) Maybe next time :)

And yes! I found the other Croatia threads, and read ameyfm's and jojo's blog posts :) So excited!