| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Munich
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband has to go to Munich for a week soon for work (im not going) and the interwebs is telling me it is the capital of Bavaria.
which means chocolate right?

is there a place he can go get me some vegan chocolates?

also any recommendations for places to go get good beer im sure he would appreciate. not sure what the beer scene is over there but he loves craft beer and mainly IPAs (though is open to sampling whatever). im sure he would like to check out the local beer scene.

does not have to be vegan or vegan friendly.

thanks! (and apologies for my sad lack of knowledge about Germany in general)

Post subject: Re: Munich
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:03 am 
Tofu Pup

There's lots of beer halls and beer cellars which have great atmosphere and you can drink beer by the litre. The Hofbrauhaus is definitely an experience, and we've heard good things about the Augustiner Keller though we haven't been. In general in Munich the beer is good and plentiful but there isn't always a lot of variety. However the Tap House on Rosenheimerstra├če or Red Hot on Amalienstra├če are good places for craft beer.

I can't be much help with chocolate though, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:04 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Get him to bring you some of this back, it's super hazelnutty and chocolately, like the best gianduja ever - http://www.alnatura-shop.de/g/product/2 ... oFinia.jsf

Not all the Vivani chocolate is vegan, but they have quite a few, especially the smaller bars.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Oh yes, the Vivani chocolate is excellent! I also recommend the Chocoreale spread, in Hazelnut or Dark chocolate it's the best. If you want the best truffles ever, the organic supermarket Basic has two types of French chocolate truffles that are to die for, sadly I can't find the name at the moment. But it's the only truffles they have at Basic.

Depending on when he's going to be in Munich, there is a beer festival going on, called BraukunstLive! from Feb 26th to 28th. It's not a mess like the Oktoberfest, it's a hipster-ish event with tasting of beers from all over the world: http://www.finest-spirits.com/braukunst-live/
If he's into craft beers this is the place to be!

If he's not here on those dates then he could check out the Tap House: http://www.tap-house.de/en/ all the beers you can ever want.
Otherwise any of the regular beer halls are a good choice for typical bavarian beer. Augustiner is my preference, but Hacker-Pschorr is also good, and so is Spaten and Hofbrau. Each have their large beer hall somewhere in the city, Hofbrauhaus being the most central and better known by the tourists.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the info! he wont be there for those dates but i will pass on the other info to him. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am going to Munich next week. This is my first time traveling outside of North America. Any vegan tips are appreciated. I've looked into restaurants in the area but I'm open to more tips/suggestions (I'm a non-drinker). I'm also wondering if there are any things I should be aware of as a first time vegan traveller abroad?

Also, I'm trying to pack super light for this trip, will I have a hard time finding vegan toiletries if I try to save some space by only packing a few?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

If you are a non-drinker then go to Max Pett, it's a fancy restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol (it's not overly expensive but has fancy looking and super tasty food).
Also don't miss Gratitude, the most imaginative, tastier food I've had in a very long time!

Can't help with the toiletries as I buy online, but I think you'll be fine (and I guess you've packed by now, sorry I didn't see this earlier!)