| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chiang Mai
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm here for the week! Any musts for food or wandering? I've previously visited Aum and Blue Diamond and staying nearby those in the Old Town area, and people on Instagram are insisting on Pun Pun. I don't plan on taking any day trips, since I'm here for dental work while Julialegume is volunteering with the elephants.

Post subject: Re: Chiang Mai
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay, I've now dined at Juicy 4 U (best Khao Soi yet - make sure to sub rice noodles for the egg) Gap's House (highly recommend the experience of their nightly 6-dish vegetarian buffet and getting there at the start, 7pm) Blue Diamond (vegan pancakes! I had an apple cinnamon one yesterday, and a soy latte today), Aum, and Bodhi Zen, as well as attending a cooking class (and had no issues being vegan once passing on fish sauce and chicken when signing up and as the class vegan) at Asia Scenic Cooking School. I'll probably become a broken record on this, but it was a pleasant surprise that all four varieties of curry pastes the class made were naturally vegan.

Here's a great blog post on vegetarian options (largely vegan): http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/chiang ... staurants/ Some are a bit dated, as restaurants change and close.
For example, May Kaidee's in the Old City is now Morning Glory. It also offers cooking class, but you need to give them advance notice. Taste of Vegetarian, which also ran a cooking school, has now relocated to the other side of the moat as 'Vegetarian Hut', but I haven't been able to find it yet, since no actual street address is given.

I also combed the Chiang Mai Gate Market for the vegetarian stand (as well as the Sunday Walking Street food vendor coves), but no luck yet.

Next on my list: Khun Churn, Pun Pun, Freebird Cafe and a bowl of Khao Soi at Aum (enjoyed that on my last trip).

There is 'vegetarian' signage EVERYWHERE. It often does not mean 'no fish sauce', so make sure you ask about it.

And I'm randomly staying at a juice bar/guesthouse with a vegan burger. I wish the toilet flushed vs. using a bucket, but the fact that 'vegan' is on the menu helps make up for that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

And we're back for another two days! After spending nearly two weeks here in total, I will continue to report that there is vegetarian/vegan food around every corner. Will write up a full list at some point. Currently having a house-baked vegan cinnamon roll at Blue Diamond with breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Julialegume's tremendous experience volunteering at Elephant Nature Camp: http://sisterlegumes.com/2013/11/19/elephant-party/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:27 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks for all you posted here! I'm flying in and out of Chiang Mai with 5 weeks in between and haven't planned anything to do yet. I'll definitely be checking out your food rec' s and I'm looking into volunteering at ENC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:39 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

jdfunks wrote:
Julialegume's tremendous experience volunteering at Elephant Nature Camp: http://sisterlegumes.com/2013/11/19/elephant-party/

This was so wonderful! And it is officially on my lifetime to-do list.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:53 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

For anyone interested, if you want vegan food you should say you are เจ [jay].
If you're lucky enough to go to Thailand in October, there's the vegetarian month: you'll be abl to taste absolutely wonderful food everywhere, without having to bother worrying about fish sauce!