| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Japan - Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka / Hiroshima
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:05 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm finally heading to Japan in about 6 weeks! I'm ridiculously excited! Me & Nick bought our guide book to Japan in 2006 so this trips been a long time coming.

We fly to Tokyo, spend 6 nights there then and then we have another 3 nights there at the end of our 3 week trip. Obviously I've done a lot of food research but if anyone has any super up to date info on restaurants / cafes that look open according to Happy Cow but aren't, new paces that aren't on there or personal favourites then I'd love to hear about them.

I'd also love general tips (or even pictures!) of convenience store foods that happen to be vegan. I'm probably the most annoying person ever if I'm hungry so I need to be able to find snacks! Are there any vegan ramen noodle cups, we're staying in hostels for some of the trip & I feel like they'd be a good cheap meal. I know inari tofu from the 7/11 should be vegan and some of the onigiri rice balls and that the soy sauces included will probably contain fishy stuff.

Also does anyone know if Oreo's are vegan in Japan? I keep hearing different things and I'd love to try matcha Oreo's!

I've checked out everything on Japan on The Urban Housewife, Veg Out Tokyo, Too Happy Vegans & Never Ending Voyage.

After Tokyo we spend a night in Nikko and then we have two days to get to Kyoto. We're not 100% sure where we're gonna go yet, we've been considering stopping in Nagoya or Gifu or checking out Mount Fuji (everywhere around there seems epicly expensive though) - has anyone been to any of those places? I think we're a little unsure if two nights is enough time to really do those places justice & are wondering whether to add an extra night in Nikko or Tokyo and another one in Kyoto instead.

I'm also wondering if anyone with tattoos has specific onsen recommendations? I'm not holding out much hope here as I've already been told I won't be able to use the pool at the super westernised Hyatt in Tokyo!

When we're in Hiroshima we're going to do a day trip to Ōkunoshima, or Bunny Island, I'm gonna be covered in bunnies! It's gonna be the awesomest!

Post subject: Re: Japan - Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka / Hiroshima
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm sooo excited you decided to stay in Nikko! Tell the man who runs it that his yoga class and shojin ryori meal changed my life!

You've probably come across it in your research but I didn't know about this place in Kyoto; Hale. It sounds pretty incredible. http://mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com/2013 ... -in-kyoto/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:41 am 
Lime and a Coconut

jojo wrote:
When we're in Hiroshima we're going to do a day trip to Ōkunoshima, or Bunny Island, I'm gonna be covered in bunnies! It's gonna be the awesomest!

SO JEALOUS!!!

I was in Japan way back in 2002 for 2-3 weeks and while I enjoyed the trip, it was rough, foodwise. I pretty much ate nothing but rice, ume and hijiki onigiri from Lawson Station or 7-11, and vegetable tempura without sauce :(. I'm pretty hopeful that 12 years later there is a lot more to eat and more resources for finding it!

I had only one tattoo and no lasik surgery at that point so if people were giving me dirty looks in the onsen I wouldn't have seen it! Best of luck with that, though, I know it can be tough and know that if I were to go back again today I would have to take a lot more into consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:20 pm 

I certainly will Vijita, I'm pretty excited about Nikko! And I hadn't heard of Hale but it's on my ever growing Kyoto list now...that blog's a little confusing though, one minute they're vegan the next it's too hard and they're chowing down on some dairy!

Erika I'll post a million bunny pics...I'm not sure that'll help you be less jealous though! I think Japan definitely still seems like it'll be challenging food wise but by the looks of it way easier than when you were there. I think it'll be toughest when we're in places where there aren't vegan / veg restaurants or in situations where we need food and don't wanna trek to somewhere. I've never really been anywhere where I haven't been able to work out whether something's vegan by label reading before but I'm excited about the new challenge!

Thanks for the onsen luck too, I'm definitely gonna need it! There's no hiding what I've got going on so at least I'd probably be shouted at / turned away before I'm naked!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 am 

I'd never heard of that blog but somewhere I read about Hale so I googled and that blog had the most info on it. I didn't know about the dairy. Fortunately dairy isn't in everything in Japan like it is in the west.

Forget about eating bread (unless it's somewhere like that Proverbs place in Kyoto). None of it is vegan and most of it is those hideous square loafs of sweet white bread. But if you're like me, your breakfasts will be steamed kabocha pumpkin and seaweed onigiri from 7-11.

I don't think you'll have a hard time with food because you've done heaps of research and the internet and blogs makes traveling as a vegan so much easier these days. Plus if you can at least kind of make sense to each other you'll find people wanting to be extremely accommodating. I stopped at a Korean restaurant in Nara for a beer and I managed to make it clear that I wouldn't eat anything fish, meat, or other animal products. The restaurant owner was excited because he'd just had a vegan the week prior who spoke Japanese but he learned the English word vegan. The meal they served me was crazy simple but it was a relief because he actually showed me exactly what ingredients he put in it as he made it. It was a yummy mountain vegetable stew with yam noodles.

I actually spent a lot of time in Gifu as it was our home base. It wasn't the most thrilling but it was fun to get a sense of pretty "normal" Japanese city. And I got to take showers not at a hostel.

GAH! I am so incredibly jealous!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:25 am 

vijita wrote:
Forget about eating bread (unless it's somewhere like that Proverbs place in Kyoto). None of it is vegan and most of it is those hideous square loafs of sweet white bread. But if you're like me, your breakfasts will be steamed kabocha pumpkin and seaweed onigiri from 7-11.

I just found out that Cafe Proverbs closed down about a month ago, they're looking for somewhere new but I doubt they'll have re-opened by the time we're there. Sad!

Can you tell me any more about eating in Gifu? We're still thinking of stopping there for a night mainly because we want to see a "normal" Japanese city alongside all of the big cities we're visiting and it's in the perfect spot. It doesn't look like there's anywhere to eat out there though, according to Happy Cow anyway! I'm a pretty chilled traveller and like to wing it, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna starve anywhere but Nick really isn't there yet & likes to have an idea of where/what we can eat!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 am 

jojo wrote:
I just found out that Cafe Proverbs closed down about a month ago, they're looking for somewhere new but I doubt they'll have re-opened by the time we're there. Sad!

Damn, apparently Mikouan has closed too. I think that's the place I was the most excited about eating at!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm 

jojo wrote:
vijita wrote:

Can you tell me any more about eating in Gifu? We're still thinking of stopping there for a night mainly because we want to see a "normal" Japanese city alongside all of the big cities we're visiting and it's in the perfect spot. It doesn't look like there's anywhere to eat out there though, according to Happy Cow anyway! I'm a pretty chilled traveller and like to wing it, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna starve anywhere but Nick really isn't there yet & likes to have an idea of where/what we can eat!

Eating in Gifu was tough times! I don't think I could have done it without my friend's girlfriend who is Japanese and also speaks fluent English. I would watch her ordering for me which was a five minute conversation in Japanese starting with the server looking incredibly confused and staring at me quizzically and gradually nodding and smiling until it was all communicated no-fish, no-meat, no-bonito, no-egg and I was served non-fishy tasting glorious vegan food (though to be honest it was usually just rice and some squash, except once she managed to order me vegan age dashi tofu in a seaweed broth with no bonito/egg). Having said that, I ate most of my Gifu meals from the grocery store. I found one with a deli that had an english ingredient book just sitting on the counter and there were a few things I could have. Man oh man I ate a lot of steamed kabocha squash from 7-11 though. Lots of Japanese grocery stores have Japanese sweet potatoes (aka the best potatoes ever) roasting and ready to eat right in the produce section! A big potato and some tamari is actually a pretty warming and energizing snack.

The one downfall to grocery store meals is that fruit is so goddamn expensive and absolutely everything (including single bananas!) is wrapped in plastic. But yeah, I'd say Gifu is worthwhile for the real Japanese city feel. Maybe it was just the friends of the people I knew there but it felt like it was full of young people and thus there were some fun bars. Izakaya where I could only drink sake and couldn't eat anything but still worth it for the experience!

We went to a buffet in Gifu that was (I think) macrobiotic and my Japanese friend showed me everything I could eat. That was definitely a highlight! I'll ask her what it was called.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:05 pm 

If that vegan izakaya that Melisser and I went to in Tokyo (it's on her blog) is still open you HAVE to go there. It was awesome. We ordered everything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm so excited for you guys! I predict a major love affair between you and Japan.

We ate exceptionally well in Tokyo and Kyoto but there wasn't much in Hiroshima. The Vegan Cafe was the only place we found but luckily the food was great, they had nice desserts and there's a bar with japanese microbrews on the same street. We had a hard time finding it at first but now i can't remember why. Maybe just cause japanese street addresses are hard to find? Anyway, it's near the mall.

In Kyoto you have to go to Vegans Cafe! We ate every ramen we could find in japan and Vegans was the best one. It's out of town a bit but not so far from Inari shrine which is really cool. The bus goes out there just make sure you get on the one going south, go past the university and get off at a 7-11 on the right. Vegans is behind 7-11 and across the street. (aparently i really liked this place because i remember a lot of details, ha!)

Let me look at my pictures and see if i can remember more restaurant names!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Super exciting Jojo!

I'm not super up-to-date on restaurants, but the one I would definitely recommend is Sora no Niwa. It's a tofu / soy specialty place. I ate at their Osaka branch, and it was a great experience. The place is not vegan, but our waiter knew perfectly which dishes were vegan, down to the fish sauce.

I also collect vegan restaurants of Tokyo on a pinterest board (http://www.pinterest.com/aelle_aelle/tokyo/) but these are mostly places I haven't tried.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

So excited on your behalf, JoJo! I will be stalking your blog and living vicariously through your travels. <3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello! I live in Nara prefecture, and while it`s sometimes difficult eating out over here, it`s definitely not impossible with some planning. Be aware of simply telling people you are vegan or vegetarian and expecting it to be ok, as although the words may be understood, the concept sometimes is not. I`ve had a few experiences early on where I`ve outlined the veganism, said I can`t eat meat/fish/dairy/etc and then had a plate of steamed vegetables be delivered to me with a pork sausage on the side.

You asked about soup, and this site lists some information about store bought stuff http://isitveganjapan.com/vegan-products/soup/
I`ve not tried the bean soup, but it looks interesting, and I`ve seen it in vending machines so could be suitable if you can`t find anything else.

You should also be able to find bread in some supermarkets. It`s mostly just white bread though. This site has some allergy information kanji which will be useful for you http://justhungry.com/handbook/dining-o ... nces-japan
The bakery in my supermarket puts labels on the product with all the kanji for different allergens, and a mark in the box if they contain that specific ingredient. In Seven Eleven though, for example, you probably won`t be able to buy a sandwich or bread conveniently.
This website is pretty good http://isitveganjapan.com/ and lists a few convenience items and sweets that are vegan friendly.
Kyoto has a great range of restaurants - two of my favourites are Vegans Cafe and Cafe Morpho in Kyoto. Cafe ATL in Osaka is nice and sometimes hosts vegan events - their next meetup is next week I think, so that may be worth checking out. if you`ll be here then.

Info on Happy Cow for the above restaurants (a great resource for me since coming here!)

Also, I cannot believe you`re not allowed to swim in the Hyatt with tattoos. That is so bizarre, as like you say I`d imagine they`ve had many Western guests - isn`t that where they stayed on Lost in Translation? Amazing views! Enjoy.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am 

Thanks PP, I'll make sure I blog up a storm as soon as I get home!

vijita wrote:
If that vegan izakaya that Melisser and I went to in Tokyo (it's on her blog) is still open you HAVE to go there. It was awesome. We ordered everything.

It looks amazing but it's closed!

inceptisol wrote:
I'm so excited for you guys! I predict a major love affair between you and Japan.

We ate exceptionally well in Tokyo and Kyoto but there wasn't much in Hiroshima. The Vegan Cafe was the only place we found but luckily the food was great, they had nice desserts and there's a bar with japanese microbrews on the same street. We had a hard time finding it at first but now i can't remember why. Maybe just cause japanese street addresses are hard to find? Anyway, it's near the mall.

In Kyoto you have to go to Vegans Cafe! We ate every ramen we could find in japan and Vegans was the best one. It's out of town a bit but not so far from Inari shrine which is really cool. The bus goes out there just make sure you get on the one going south, go past the university and get off at a 7-11 on the right. Vegans is behind 7-11 and across the street. (aparently i really liked this place because i remember a lot of details, ha!)

Let me look at my pictures and see if i can remember more restaurant names!

Eeek, thank you! I'm SO excited! I was actually trying to find your pictures on Flickr the other day but I couldn't remember any of my log in details so I gave up!

You're the third person to recommend Vegans Cafe in Kyoto so we'll definitely be going there especially if there's awesome ramen - yum! Iniri shrine is on our list of places to check out so we'll combine those two, thanks for the bus details! The Vegan Cafe in Hiroshima looks good, we're only there for two nights but I can see us visiting a few times.

aelle wrote:
Super exciting Jojo!

I'm not super up-to-date on restaurants, but the one I would definitely recommend is Sora no Niwa. It's a tofu / soy specialty place. I ate at their Osaka branch, and it was a great experience. The place is not vegan, but our waiter knew perfectly which dishes were vegan, down to the fish sauce.

I also collect vegan restaurants of Tokyo on a pinterest board (http://www.pinterest.com/aelle_aelle/tokyo/) but these are mostly places I haven't tried.

Great tips aelle! Thank you. I love the Pinterest board and Sora no Niwa looks fantastic. I worry a little that I won't be able to communicate veganism in a non-veg restaurant but I'll certainly give it a try!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:25 am 

Thanks for the tips kansaivegan. I'll definitely be wary of ending up with a pork sausage on the side of an otherwise vegan meal! I've been in contact with the people from the isitveganjapan site that you linked to, they've been super helpful.

Vegans Cafe in Kyoto looks amazing and I've made a note of Cafe Morpho and Cafe ATL too. I won't be in Osaka for another 3 1/2ish weeks but I'll check out other meet up dates at Cafe ATL for when I will be there.

And yeah, I'm pretty surprised about the Hyatt thing. I'll definitely be giving it a go anyway though! And yep it is where they stayed in Lost In Translation, that's totally why we're staying there. My husband did film studies at university and his dissertation was partly about that movie!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm having a really hard time figuring out where we ate! I need to write this stuff down. Here are a few vague details:

In Kyoto we had great soymilk ramen and matcha ice cream at Cafe Proverbs but i don' t see it on happy cow so maybe it's closed. Just down the street from Proverbs we had ramen (yep, more ramen) at a place i don't know the name of but found by seeing a vegan sign in the window when we walked by. I can give details if you want to try to find either place. We also ate at the place that has all the cats. I can't find the name but i think everyone knows it as the place with cats. I super duper love cats but if you're at all squeamish about animals/fur/cat food/paws/litter near your food you might have a hard time being comfortable here. The temple meal we had at Tenryuji was one of my favorite experiences!

After we were denied access to the hotel swimming pool we gave up on onsen. There might be some tattoo-friendly ones but we didn't want to waste a lot of time trying every one.

We only spent an afternoon in Osaka and i can't remember eating anywhere so we must have had a 7-11 meal. We had a lot of those, especially breakfast, and i loved them! We went to the open air museum in osaka which was cool if you like old houses.

I'll try to figure out tokyo next but i remember our favorite was the vegan ramen place in the train station, T Tan's.

edit: high on my list of favorite things, which i think you guys would also enjoy: baseball game! We went to 3 games in tokyo; 2 at tokyo dome and 1 at the smaller stadium whose name i can't remember. Not sure if the season will have started yet but it must be coming up soon. I really love seeing the cultural differences at events like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Oops! Just saw the above posts about Proverbs being closed. That's a bummer for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 am 
Saggy Butt

One more thing (you're probably going to regret that you got me started on this subject!), joshua was in Tokyo in december and ate at T's but couldn't find the Donut Plant that he remembered being in the station. He looked around the internet and found that their vegan doughnuts are not vegan anymore and probably never were. Beware!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am 

inceptisol wrote:
(you're probably going to regret that you got me started on this subject!)

Never! Keep it coming!

I'm sad that Cafe Proverbs in Kyoto is shut and so is the place with the kitties (Mikouan) which is even suckier because I was totally looking forward to kitties everywhere! If you can remember the name of the place with the ramen that was near cafe proverbs then lemme know but no worries if you can't...if they have a vegan sign we might just stumble upon it ourselves!

And yeah, all of my research is pointing towards those doughnuts never being vegan in the first place. Someone's e-mailed them in Japanese to ask on my behalf but it doesn't look promising!

I'm pretty excited about 7/11 meals, what were your favourite things from there? I could totally eat inari tofu for every meal but I should probably branch out!

inceptisol wrote:
We went to the open air museum in osaka which was cool if you like old houses... high on my list of favorite things, which i think you guys would also enjoy: baseball game! We went to 3 games in tokyo; 2 at tokyo dome and 1 at the smaller stadium whose name i can't remember. Not sure if the season will have started yet but it must be coming up soon. I really love seeing the cultural differences at events like that.

Those both sound great, I certainly do like old houses and I find big sporting events where I can't understand the game surprisingly fun. I know Nick definitely wants to see some baseball so we'll make it happen!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i could give you good suggestions but it's all different, everywhere!

buuuut, i did just see this..... i explored it a little bit and think it could be helpful for your onsen/sento quest.
http://tokyocheapo.com/living/tattoo-sp ... -accepted/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Exciting! People have already given you lots of good recommendations but I'll pitch in too:

Kyoto - I was a regular at Mikoan and Cafe Proverbs when I lived there and am totally gutted that they might have closed. Espeically Mikoan which is my favourite restaurant in the entire world. I wonder if Nekoan is still open? It was the same lady who ran Mikoan but it was a cat cafe (all rescued, not bred and bought like the other cat cafes). Anyway, other restuarants I went to and enjoyed: Cafe Morpho and Biotei are good, and Obanzai is an all-you-can-eat vegetarian buffet place with lots of vegan options. If you wanna get fancy, Kanga-an is absolutely beautiful and amazing. It's fucha-ryori which is like shojin ryori but with Chinese influence. You get to eat in a private room in the temple and there are multiple beautiful courses. It's expensive though, of course! Nishiki market is worth a walk around, and you can get lots of pickle samples and vegan Japanese sweets. The tofu donuts are not vegan though, and neither is the soymilk ice-cream (bear that in mind because you will probably see it around a lot!). Vegans Cafe seems to get really good reviews these days, by Japanese and non-J vegans so I would say that you should definitely try to visit.
If you have time, a visit to Arashiyama is well worth it. It doesn't take long from Kyoto station and you can see wild monkeys at the monkey park, and eat amazing food at one of the tofu restaurants (I can't remember the name off the top of my head but will try to find it and get back to you). I have a soft spot for those two places since they were part of my first date with my husband and where we got engaged!

Have you thought about visiting Koya-san? If you are going to be in Osaka, you can get the train there in a couple of hours. All the temple food is shojin ryori and it's beautiful. I went a few times and always enjoyed it. You can get the English-speaking staff at one of the Osaka tourist offices to help book a temple for you if you are struggling to work everything out.

Btw, I don't think Nagoya is worth visiting. I spent enough time there when I lived in the countryside and it was my nearest big city, and it's pretty unspectacular and has nothing much to offer, haha. Actually after I moved to Osaka, I started to hate it, haha. Osaka pride maybe? ;) Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe and Nara are much better and more interesting anyway. I really like Hiroshima too and went a couple of times. Look up Naoshima if you are looking for other nearby places to visit when you are in Hiroshima - it's an art island completely covered in various museums and art installations. Very cool! Kurashiki is a very pretty canal town inbetween Hiroshima and Kansai (Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe area) and would make a nice wee stop off point if you'd like to see a more normal place. Nara is definitely worth spending a day in if you are going to Osaka too - nice little town that you can walk around, see the bowing deer, and the giant Buddha statue that will make you feel like you are in Indiana Jones :D

Tokyo is amazing for vegans now, and I visited a lot of different restaurants, but I think other people on here have lived there so will have better recommendations for that. T's Tan Tan is a must visit for me though!

I can give you lots of advice about supermarket and convenience store food too, and what to look out for, but I'll leave it there for now, haha! I'm I_heart_tofu on Instagram by the way, so you can send me a message on there too if you like :)
I hope you are getting excited! I miss Japan so much right now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Squirrely, I felt the same way about Nagoya- my husband's family was all based in the suburbs there (Nishio, mainly, but also Ryuji maybe? Ryuchi?) and whenever we went to visit I felt like it was tedious and boring. Also, those goddamn noisy racing boats. (upshot was Brazilian markets where I could buy beets.)

I think Koya-san is a great recommendation if you have the time but definitely get some help- some things were men only and I was lucky to have a friend who was a monk to take us around, but without his help I probably would have gotten myself into big trouble (we were WAY off the beaten path though).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 am 

torque wrote:
i wish i could give you good suggestions but it's all different, everywhere!

buuuut, i did just see this..... i explored it a little bit and think it could be helpful for your onsen/sento quest.
http://tokyocheapo.com/living/tattoo-sp ... -accepted/

Thank you. We may have decided the hassle of the onset quest isn't worth it but if we change our minds that'll be useful for sure.

Thanks for all of the Kytoto recommendations ComradeSquirrel, we're here right now! We already ate at Cafe Matsuontoko and were going to go to Vegans Cafe & Restaurant this evening but they're closed on Thursday. We're heading to Arashiyama tomorrow and we're planning to eat at Shigetsu which I'm super excited about.

We did end up spending the night in Nagoya after all. After going from Tokyo up to Tsumago we didn't fancy going the extra distance to Kyoto and we had a really great meal at Love Pacific Cafe. I thought the vibe of the city was kinda fun although of course you can't get that much of a sense of a place in 12ish hours! There were a tonne of adorable teenagers in onesies and heels hanging out near the station, totally buying myself a Rilakkuma onesie before we head home!

Feel free to throw any supermarket / convenience store options my way, I've been getting a whole load of help from the people at veganjapan which has been great. I'm eating nori crisps right now and we've tried plain, plum and seaweed onigiri as well as inari tofu from the convenience stores.

So far I love everything about Japan (okay, almost everything, I really wish I could fit into all of the adorable dresses I'm seeing but that's what my seamstress bff is for!!) and I don't want this trip to end at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 am 

I'm SO jealous, jojo, but I'm so glad you are having a nice time!

jojo wrote:
So far I love everything about Japan (okay, almost everything, I really wish I could fit into all of the adorable dresses I'm seeing but that's what my seamstress bff is for!!) and I don't want this trip to end at all.

Haha, I hear you. I have some Japan dresses that are scandalously short yet I still wear but them, but for some stupid reason I spent 2000 yen in Harajuku on amazing steals on piles and piles of tights and leggings, only to remember that I am tall and "one size fits all" in Japan means "horrifyingly saggy crotch" to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just saw about Cafe Proverbs upthread - that's too bad! Their soymilk ramen was so incredible when I was in Kyoto last year. Wah!