| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:42 am 
Chard Martyr

celyn wrote:
I even wondered if Don, when speaking crossly with Roger about bonuses and client sizes, was hoping that Roger would agree to bonuses so Lane's situation could be ironed out.

I feel like you're on to something here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't watched the whole episode yet, but about half of it. Anyway. I don't think don is at fault at all. In fact, if he would have gone to the other partners there is a good chance lane could have ended up in jail. I think don was already really lenient with him by just asking for his resignation. I once had to fire an employee for stealing much less money than that, she was an awesome employee and super nice, but you can't have people working for you who are stealing, period.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, I think Don handled it in the best possible way - he was completely discreet and gave Lane the opportunity to leave with dignity. He's absolutely right that he couldn't trust him anymore and that it would kill the business completely if anyone ever found out. Still, that's not going to be much consolation for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

I don't think Lane would have ended up in jail. I think the partners would have either pushed him to resign - like Don did - but so they wouldn't have to publicly admit they had someone in management stealing from them. It shows bad judgment. I highly doubt they would have pressed charges, but I do think they would have still made him resign like don did, now that I think about it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Chard Martyr

Agreed. And even though he was kind of intense about it, you could tell that it was really hard for him, and that ultimately Don cared about and was disappointed in Lane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

molly wrote:
Yeah, I think Don handled it in the best possible way - he was completely discreet and gave Lane the opportunity to leave with dignity. He's absolutely right that he couldn't trust him anymore and that it would kill the business completely if anyone ever found out. Still, that's not going to be much consolation for him.

Agreed - and after Adam, this is the second suicide tied to Don.

I wonder if next week we're going to find out there was more troubling Lane? Remember that girl he was infatuated with (Dolores?) with the mobster boyfriend? That plotline could come back.. and Lane never gave Don an answer to whether it was just the one check, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

pickledtreats wrote:
I don't think Lane would have ended up in jail. I think the partners would have either pushed him to resign - like Don did - but so they wouldn't have to publicly admit they had someone in management stealing from them. It shows bad judgment. I highly doubt they would have pressed charges, but I do think they would have still made him resign like don did, now that I think about it.

I don't know-- I think Pete would have been all too happy to publicly humiliate Lane, especially if it was "for the good of the company".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

vintage wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

I don't know-- I think Pete would have been all too happy to publicly humiliate Lane, especially if it was "for the good of the company".

But, as pt said, publicly humiliating Lane in such a manner would have also meant publicly humiliating the company. I don't see that happening.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

God I just remembered Lane's dad beating him with his cane and stepping on his fingers last season. I had totally forgotten about that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know we're all talking about Lane here (and my sadness goes without saying, as much as I disliked Lane), but man alive, poor Sally. What a horrible time for your period to start.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Damn you Bert Cooper! Why did you open the bank statement?! I feel so horrible about what happened with Lane. I know he stole and he shouldn't have sold himself short when he joined the company, but it's still so sad. I didn't really care for him until that New Year's episode when he and Don went out and you could see he wasn't just a cold money-minded guy. I don't think that was the elegant exit Don had in mind. He has two hanged men on his head now and two people have died in that office, time to move again.

I totally knew Sally was going to get her period when she said her stomach hurt. She seemed so afraid and unprepared, which is probably normal for that era, poor thing. She's been asserting herself and acting so grown up, it seemed to knock her back in her place and remind her she is really only beginning to mature. She is one of my favorite characters to watch.

I really hope they get DOW so Pete can continue to be a whiny brat while Ken manages the account. He really can't say anything with his own "father-in-law" account deals in the past.

I also enjoyed seeing Don back on the prowl for new (and bigger) business. Honeymoon's over- time to get back to work!

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 am 

Also, what do you think Harry is asking Joan about in the teaser? I really hope he is not being a pig and asking her if it's true that she slept with the Jaguar guy. Hopefully it's a good thing and she did get promoted to financial advisor like some of you have suggested. Who is calling Meagan? Is Glen perving on her or is Sally pranking her to be a brat now? I am really bad at waiting to see what happens. I just hope they don't make us wait 18 months between seasons again.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 am 
Naked Under Apron

Wait, was that the season finale?!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 am 

No, there is one more left this Sunday!

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 am 
Naked Under Apron

Oh...whew. Ok. Got paranoid for a minute.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:16 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Apparently the actor who plays Glen is Matthew Weiner's son in real life! That doesn't make him any less creepy to me, though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 am 
Chard Martyr

Was there no Mad Men last night?!

eta: oooh I see it on itunes. Phew. Why aren't you guys talking about it?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 am 
protein lump

roger: what is regina?

best roger quote of all time. his face was priceless.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Chard Martyr

Best naked shot of Roger too.

Peggy and Don in the movie theatre was amazing.

The Rory Gilmore scenes were kind of painful, to see Vincent Kartheiser's amazing performance in contrast to hers, but it was nonetheless interesting. I really felt for Pete on the train. It's interesting to see the show naming and exploring mental health and depression.

The shot of the partners at the new offices was a little cliche, but I got chills nonetheless.

I loved everything about Joan in this episode, and the way Lane's wife treated Don's offer.

Though the ending was a wee bit anticlimactic, I like how we came full circle back to previous seasons' Don--seeing visions of his brother and faced with infidelity.

Man, I get up at 6 to watch Mad Men before work on Monday mornings and I don't regret a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

vijita wrote:

Man, I get up at 6 to watch Mad Men before work on Monday mornings and I don't regret a thing.

Ha, me too! Normally I don't download the episodes until Monday night, but managed to get up early and download and watch this morning before work.

I thought it was kind of an anti-climactic episode, though not necessarily in a bad way (especially after all the drama of last week). I loved the scene between Peggy and Don, too. And naked Roger (obviously).

What do you guys think of the Megan/Don interactions here? Did he cast her because he felt obligated, because he saw her screen test and thought she had talent, or some other reason? That scene at the end with Don and the girls in the bar made me think Don's going be old (read: unfaithful) Don next season, which made me wonder if this marriage is going to start resembling his marriage with Betty. She was in commercials too, right?

Final thought, I hope we don't have to wait another year and a half for the next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Oh, yeah? Well, I'm president of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we watched it when we woke up, too. :-) (we usually wait until monday nights, but we couldn't wait.)

i wonder if it was the timing of the payments or if joan is just better at the job than lane was?

i don't think don is going to be unfaithful. betty gave up her modeling career and became a housewife. she wasn't ambitious. if anything, it'd be megan that leaves don.

it also wasn't don that cast her in the part, he just gave her reel to the client. they chose.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, Megan's whining and sense of entitlement and the way she totally back-stabbed her friend annoyed me so much.

I was a bit surprised at how anti-climactic the whole thing was, but I'm still super pumped for next season!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want to watch it again, but I'm struck by the name of this episode and the music in the closing credits: Phantom and You Only Live Twice. I'm curious about the symbolism of Don's toothache and want to think on it. I think Don is going to leave Megan. Strong foreshadowing as she dressed up in that outfit with the wreath on her head (ridiculous) and he looked at what made her happy and walked away into the dark to a bar. Interesting that Trudy chose Pete having an apartment in the city (= girls if he chooses, she knows it) to keep her life as it is.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I loved the scene of Don walking off the Beauty and the Beast set...walking away from the fairy tale that is Meghan's dream into the seedy, dark bar.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next