| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dr. Who Tutorial
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Help me out nerds!

I watched a couple random episodes on Netflix and want to approach this systematically. I'm so confused! There are specials and different versions, and cast, and, and, and!

I need a Dr. Who viewing guide for dummies or using (hopefully its all on Netflix).

I enjoyed what I saw (one episode was about plastic mannequins) and could up being a big fan.

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who Tutorial
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 am 
A Bad Person

I had the same problem so I have this advice: start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Do ... nth_Doctor and work your way down as episodes are available. Some specials aren't available. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:09 am 
A Bad Person

Oh, and when I was watching it, some specials were in the same series as the regular episodes, and some weren't. But this was back when the series was broken out into separate seasons, so it may all be mashed together. Hopefully in airing order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
I enjoyed what I saw (one episode was about plastic mannequins) and could up being a big fan.

That's the very first episode of the reboot which features the 9th doctor and Rose. I'd start there (2005) and work your way through all of the regular episodes and Christmas specials that they have. There are some other specials as well but some of the Christmas specials are important to the overall story. We're currently on the 11th doctor with a new season (and new companions) coming up later this year.

If/When you get through all of that and become a hardcore fan, you can go back and watch some of the classic episodes. You won't be able to watch all of them because some of the classic episodes were destroyed but there's still a good deal of them out there. They won't be like the reboot and some people find them kind of boring but each doctor (& companion) is different. I really enjoyed Tom Baker and so do a lot of other fans so he might be a good one to start off with if you don't mind jumping around.

Then there's the movie which features the 8th doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mr. Shankly wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That's the very first episode of the reboot which features the 9th doctor and Rose. I'd start there (2005) and work your way through all of the regular episodes and Christmas specials that they have. There are some other specials as well but some of the Christmas specials are important to the overall story. We're currently on the 11th doctor with a new season (and new companions) coming up later this year.

If/When you get through all of that and become a hardcore fan, you can go back and watch some of the classic episodes. You won't be able to watch all of them because some of the classic episodes were destroyed but there's still a good deal of them out there. They won't be like the reboot and some people find them kind of boring but each doctor (& companion) is different. I really enjoyed Tom Baker and so do a lot of other fans so he might be a good one to start off with if you don't mind jumping around.

Then there's the movie which features the 8th doctor.

I started with the 9th Doctor and I was hooked. My sister did as well. The 9th Doctor is still her favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Good grief. Now I'm more comfused.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 am 
WELFARIST!

sisterlegume wrote:
I started with the 9th Doctor and I was hooked. My sister did as well. The 9th Doctor is still her favorite.

The 9th doctor is my favorite, too. Some people don't really like the 9th but don't skip over him because a lot is explained in the first season (like the explanation of the TARDIS). Also, if you skip over him then you'll be skipping over The Empty Child, and The Doctor Dances which is not okay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Good grief. Now I'm more comfused.

Start with the 9th doctor (Christopher Eccleston), season 1 of the new episodes (2005). Work your way up to the 11th doctor (Matt Smith).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Do they just replace the actor and keep the show going as if nothing had changed?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Do they just replace the actor and keep the show going as if nothing had changed?

The doctor doesn't die, he just regenerates! Well, he'd die if you killed him during his regeneration period but that's besides the point.

Last edited by Mr. Shankly on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

So the cast change is part of the plot?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 am 
A Bad Person

Mr. Shankly wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Yes.

Fixed that for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
So the cast change is part of the plot?

Yes.

brian wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Yes.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, thank you. Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Aiiiieeeeeeee. Regenerate my brain. TV shouldn't be this intimidating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 am 
WELFARIST!

I had something else here but edited it out because it'll just cause more confusion.

Last edited by Mr. Shankly on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 am 
A Bad Person

It's cool. Pretend nothing before the ninth doctor exists, until you really get into the series and want to see where it came from. Then you should pick and choose what you watch, because the backlog of episodes is enormous and incomplete on Netflix. Or in existence for that matter, a lot of episodes have been lost to... time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:52 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Suddenly this feels like a chore instead of fun.

Thanks for setting me straight. Ill pick up with episode 3 of the season I started, 9th whatever?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Ill pick up with episode 3 of the season I started, 9th whatever?

Sounds right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

They approached the reboot of the series with the attitude that a lot of people will never have seen the show so they get around to explaining the basics as the show progresses. If you start with

When asked what he would say to someone worried about having to know 47 years of backstory before watching Doctor Who, Neil Gaiman said, “No, look, there’s a blue box. It’s bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space and sometimes even where it’s meant to go. And when it turns up, there’s a bloke in it called The Doctor and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out and he will probably succeed cos he’s awesome. Now sit down, shut up, and watch ‘Blink’.”

(Blink is the 10th episode of the 3rd season and its brilliant.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Aw it's not a chore! I'm getting restless waiting for the newest episodes and might rematch the rebooted series again! It's worth it. It took my sister a little while to get into it but the episodes are so cool that you'll probably get hooked. She did. She never got,over her love for the 9th Doctor though.
For a family show, they can be really scary. But in an awesome way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, watch the newish series (9th Doctor) and just kinda roll with it.

The whole point of the cast change seems to be to give the Doctor somebody to explain stuff to every once in a while so people who haven't been watching it can figure out what's going on.

But yeah. Just watch it! You'll pick it up. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

http://geektyrant.com/storage/2011-post ... 4342179951

And yes to what everyone said. Series reboot in 2005 (9th Doctor) is designed as a starting point for people new to the show. I've seen both old and new Doctor Who (and some of the old ones are NOT good, the first two Doctors are rather boring and many of the 80s episodes are really cheesy) and I really liked Eccleston as the Doctor! I wish he'd made more than one season, but Tennant is good, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mr. Shankly wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That's the very first episode of the reboot which features the 9th doctor and Rose...

Well it could have been the autons, so Pertwee (3rd Doctor). Spearhead from Space? But, yeah, probably Rose.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

There's not anything to be confused about, really. Start with season 1. It started in 2005. It's just a regular tv show that you watch season by season in the order they are presented to you on the dvds. no big deal. it's tv. don't be scared.

Don't worry about what happens to the characters. watch the show. you'll find out that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Ok, this is complicated, so please pay attention.

First, read the novels. All of them. It's important. These give the purest basis from which to build a coherent appreciation of the Doctor Who universe. Listen to the audio adventures next, for similar reasons.

Then, subscribe to at least three of the fanzines. You need to start developing a back catalog for research purposes.

After that, it's time to mourn for missing episodes. Find a quiet place, perhaps a small coastal island, to contemplate the nature of impermanence and loss. This will give you some insight into the heart(s) of a Time Lard.

Then, and only then, are you ready to start watching the TV show.

Now, many people will advise you to start watching from the first transmitted Doctor Who story, An Unearthly Child. These people are intolerable naifs who fail to appreciate the nature of time travel. No, the educated Doctor Who enthusiast will watch the episodes in historical order. And so you will start with Castrovalva, a story featuring the fifth Doctor, which takes place shortly before the beginning of the universe. Then you will watch the first scene of the eleventh Doctor's The Pandorica Opens, which takes place on the oldest planet in the universe. Next, it's 10's The Runaway Bride, set four and half billion years ago. A personal favorite follows: Tom Baker's City of Death, which chronicles the mildly paradoxical beginning of life on Earth. The Hand of Fear, Time-Flight, Earthshock (what better way to appreciate Adric than to realize that his personality flaws originate in his death). Then, and only then, shall you watch An Unearthly Child. Proceed to The Myth Makers. Continue in this manner until you arrive at Utopia, set shortly before the heat death of the universe, 100 trillion years in the future.

Then you can proceed to watch the episodes that don't clearly fall into a historical timeline--those that take place aboard the TARDIS, in time billabongs, in parallel universes, or whose historicity is not well established.

As you can see, watching Doctor Who is not as simple as turning on the idiot box and simply enjoying--you were wise to ask. I hope this helps!