| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012 Veggie Awards
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I always try real hard to take the results each year with a grain of salt, but this one has me super confused. Favorite Veg Meat, 2nd place is Amy's Kitchen. Dowhatnow? What veg meat are they referring to, exactly? That one frozen meatloaf meal?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

pandacookie wrote:
Did I win? Best Panda?

you are Best Panda in my heart for the many-eth year running. here is the song i will sing at the awards ceremony:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
Yay for Cinnamon Snail!

But how does Babycakes win Best Vegan Bakery (store front) every year? I cannot believe that anyone who has tasted their cupcakes versus any other could vote for them. Seriously, a 12 year old with VCTOW makes better ones for our bake sale every year.

And inmypies Capital City Bakery wasn't even a choice even though she's the best baker EVER!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

You guys all that matters is that I win cookbook author every year for always ok????

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

IsaChandra wrote:
You guys all that matters is that I win cookbook author every year for always ok????

Totally. Do you get a prize or anything?

I feel like every year there is a thread like this complaining about the results, and I'm always surprised that people actually care. The PPK 100 is much more interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Totally. Do you get a prize or anything?

I feel like every year there is a thread like this complaining about the results, and I'm always surprised that people actually care. The PPK 100 is much more interesting!

Isn't it really a lifestyle magazine with a need to sell advertising? I would imagine that smaller, regional brands spend far less on VegNews ads than do the mainstream brands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 am 

I mean, they do polls for everything that is not the editor's picks, but most people are just going to vote for the brand they recognize. Since you can get stuff like Earth Balance, Gardein, and Daiya all throughout North America, those are going to be the consistent winners. (I'm not defending them as I think the whole thing is rather silly, but it's not surprising to me).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

And the voting is just one giant form instead of a click through so everyone feels like they should vote even if they haven't had all the options. And it is all silly because there's no easy fix. If you make it only available to those who have tried every option, for a ton of people it will just be a huge list of stuff they'll never have and they'll just be all "thanks for nothing" and throw their things across the room. It's almost like we shouldn't have popularity contests for vegan goods and just forums where people can discuss what they like and don't like. Hmm. Maybe one day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

it's a catch 22.

oh, fee. they do say at the top that you don't have to vote in every category. (dummies don't read before voting, though, so it really should be placed all over the form.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I guess if Chris Brown can win a grammy, PCRM can win just about anything.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am 

Fee wrote:
And the voting is just one giant form instead of a click through so everyone feels like they should vote even if they haven't had all the options. And it is all silly because there's no easy fix. If you make it only available to those who have tried every option, for a ton of people it will just be a huge list of stuff they'll never have and they'll just be all "thanks for nothing" and throw their things across the room. It's almost like we shouldn't have popularity contests for vegan goods and just forums where people can discuss what they like and don't like. Hmm. Maybe one day.

Ha, yeah. And they have this prize incentive but only if you vote on a certain amount of questions. So people think "prize!" and randomly choose whatever they might have heard of, even if they haven't tried it.

Plus writing stuff in is too much work when the damn survey takes so long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 am 

IsaChandra wrote:

THIS shiitake IS RIGGED

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Off subject a little, but what Upton's stuff are y'all nuts on? I've had traditional seitan and italian seitan, and I'd still vote for Gardein.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 am 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

THIS shiitake IS RIGGED

There is a huge amount of evidence pointing that way, neither Chris Brown NOR pandacookie won a single category.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 am 

I wrote stuff in; therefore, even lazy people can write stuff in. Seriously, have you guys seen some of the shiitake that I do as 'recipes'? My culinary endeavor is going to be pepperoni rolls with crescent roll dough and store-bought cheese and pepperoni.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Tofulish wrote:
But how does Babycakes win Best Vegan Bakery (store front) every year? I cannot believe that anyone who has tasted their cupcakes versus any other could vote for them. Seriously, a 12 year old with VCTOW makes better ones for our bake sale every year.

I'm so glad someone else feels this way. It's like everyone who finds out I'm vegan and bake cupcakes needs to tell me about this amazing bakery in nyc. I went there once or twice and thought their cupcakes were dry and the frosting way too dense. I'm also bitter because I went, ordered a cupcake and a cupcake top and paid. Then my friend was right behind me and ordered the same thing and the girl behind the counter (who helped us both) gave her six free cupcake tops! what the fizzle? Was she trying to hit on her? I was right there! and what if we were together?
I swear this has nothing to do with my dislike of their cupcakes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I am still puzzled that VN has ads for non-vegan stuff running still. I called them out on a Kashi bar ad and they were like 'it's not vegan?'...Um, in the first 5 ingredients milk was listed...Read the labels much? I am surprised the Kashi bar was not on the list...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am 

Once upon a time, I saw someone post about their trip to Babycakes on their blog and how they weren't sure that they could be vegan if that's what vegan cupcakes were like. And now that person is vegan and wrote a book so luckily they tried other cupcakes!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 am 

ndpittman wrote:
I wrote stuff in; therefore, even lazy people can write stuff in. Seriously, have you guys seen some of the shiitake that I do as 'recipes'? My culinary endeavor is going to be pepperoni rolls with crescent roll dough and store-bought cheese and pepperoni.

False; I'm lazier and I rarely write stuff in. You are not as lazy as you think you are. Also I'm not quick so unless something is immediately in my mind when I'm voting, I'll probably forget I like it and pick out of what is listed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am 

Fee wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

False; I'm lazier and I rarely write stuff in. You are not as lazy as you think you are. Also I'm not quick so unless something is immediately in my mind when I'm voting, I'll probably forget I like it and pick out of what is listed.

But I took two naps yesterday!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am 

ndpittman wrote:
Off subject a little, but what Upton's stuff are y'all nuts on? I've had traditional seitan and italian seitan, and I'd still vote for Gardein.

i think gardein is pretty gross, but i also don't think uptons is out of this world either. it's very tasty, but it's still just seitan. (i feel bad saying this, because the owner and his girlfriend/right-hand-woman are actual real-life friends.) the pepperoni is very tasty, but it still dries out like all other seitan when getting pizza-fied, and the other seitans are too firm for my tastes. i am supremely excited for them that it's well received by others, though. that's all that matters.

i can't wait to try beyond meat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 pm 

Their packaging has mustaches.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm 

you're right. i take it all back. :-)
(i'm kind-of also disappointed that their bacon package doesn't have a hipster moustache.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Their packaging has mustaches.

I do adore the branding. And sometimes the cashiers at WF will wear little pins with the mustache guy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm 

Serious answer: they're the first packaged seitan that doesn't taste weird (what is it, white wave? That stuff ain't great), and it's pretty wholesome so unless you're GF there's no reason to avoid it, and if you have to pick up a meat alternative for dinner really quick, it's a healthier option to pick up their ground seitan than say, Boca crumbles.