| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sookie Stackhouse Books
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I'm liking where that's going.

So far, I'm really digging this one!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:36 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

woo!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm 

No, just no. From page 66
Spoiler: show
Sookie and Eric are going to a club. She braids his hair and ties it with a black ribbon. Sometimes I really need to unread things. He won't have that long hair in my mind. What is with Charlaine making all the hot dudes have really long hair? Ew

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 am 

bastah wrote:
Sookie and Eric are going to a club. She braids his hair and ties it with a black ribbon. Sometimes I really need to unread things. He won't have that long hair in my mind. What is with Charlaine making all the hot dudes have really long hair? Ew

I KNOW! The woman clearly has no idea what a hot man looks like. Alan Ball's vision is so much better, thank heavens.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
bastah wrote:

I KNOW! The woman clearly has no idea what a hot man looks like. Alan Ball's vision is so much better, thank heavens.

Agreed!

I finished this morning, I really enjoyed this one. And I saw the paperback in stores here already but it's $29.99, so I'll wait for the Book Depo to get it in.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:40 am 
Saggy Butt

I've read the first two books so far in the Sookies series and I've really enjoyed them. I am waiting on the third to come in on hold into the library for me. Bill kind of gets on my tits so far, and I'm just a tad over female human falls in love with old male vampire. Just once I'd like a series where it's reversed.

I've read the first couple of Aurora Teagarden, I don't mind them. I read the first Lily Bard and found it hard to get into. I haven't looked at the Harper Connely series yet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 am 

kitteh - hurray! we should prolly wait a lil before we spoiler tag discussions for those who can't not look at spoilers :D

darksideknitter wrote:
Bill kind of gets on my tits so far, and I'm just a tad over female human falls in love with old male vampire. Just once I'd like a series where it's reversed.

I've read the first couple of Aurora Teagarden, I don't mind them. I read the first Lily Bard and found it hard to get into. I haven't looked at the Harper Connely series yet.

you are wise. and that's a good idea!

i haven't read AT but I started the first LB and didn't like it so I quit. HC is good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I'd really like to see a series where the main couple is a female vampire with a male human lover. Or even a female human lover! But I can't think of any vampire series where the vampire most focused on is female.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished! I really liked it, though

Eric finally telling Sookie about the arranged marriage

almost made me cry. I'm actually really eager for book 12 now! Book 10 almost made me think she'd lost her touch with this series, but now I'm convinced it was just a fluke.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson has a vampire queen protagonist, but be warned that you have to embrace the cheesiness to enjoy these books. They are pretty much so bad it's good chick-lit.

I am seriously itching to get a hold of book 11 now!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:59 pm 

I finished! Soooooooooooooooooooo much better than book 10. I want to read book 12 NOW!!

What was a bit of a letdown was that she was building up to something with the fairies, but it never panned out. I'm guessing that she's saving it for the next book (she better be). First there was the mention of fae sleeping with their relatives. Then there was the bit about how if you say "thanks" to a fairy, you are obligated to sleep with that fairy. THEN we learned that a fairy can disguise itself as another person and sleep with a person that way. I just feel like this info has to be shared for a reason. The last thing Sookie said to Dermot, which was right when her sponsor arrived, was "thanks." Setup for the next book? BETTER BE! Now I have to wait A YEAR!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm 

bastah wrote:
I finished! Soooooooooooooooooooo much better than book 10. I want to read book 12 NOW!!

What was a bit of a letdown was that she was building up to something with the fairies, but it never panned out. I'm guessing that she's saving it for the next book (she better be). First there was the mention of fae sleeping with their relatives. Then there was the bit about how if you say "thanks" to a fairy, you are obligated to sleep with that fairy. THEN we learned that a fairy can disguise itself as another person and sleep with a person that way. I just feel like this info has to be shared for a reason. The last thing Sookie said to Dermot, which was right when her sponsor arrived, was "thanks." Setup for the next book? BETTER BE! Now I have to wait A YEAR!

you cannot have sex w/ someone who looks like a sibling! ick!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:49 am 

appifanie wrote:
bastah wrote:

hahah I know, right? That is why I don't know if will ever be Team Alcide; he reminds me of my brother. Though Dermot could always disguise himself as Eric. From now on, we'll wonder if people are ever who they say they are, which might be why we found out that bit about fairies disguising themselves.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:44 am 

bastah wrote:
appifanie wrote:
bastah wrote:

hahah I know, right? That is why I don't know if will ever be Team Alcide; he reminds me of my brother. Though Dermot could always disguise himself as Eric. From now on, we'll wonder if people are ever who they say they are, which might be why we found out that bit about fairies disguising themselves.

dude that didn't even occur to me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bastah wrote:

I thought it just said saying "thank you" to a fairy meant you were obligated to them in some way, not that you had to sleep with them.

Also,
can we talk about that scene with Alcide? That just felt really wrong to me. I know Alcide has changed a lot since book 3, and he's not the greatest guy (and I'm certainly no longer on Team Alcide), but I don't think he would be that stupid or easily led to believe that was a good idea. He's big on being pack leader, so I can't even see him wanting to have a relationship with Sookie since it would be doomed to failure since they wouldn't have were children. I dunno, it just felt forced, like she needed an excuse for Sookie to kick out everyone in her house and couldn't come up with anything better.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:51 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
bastah wrote:

I thought it just said saying "thank you" to a fairy meant you were obligated to them in some way, not that you had to sleep with them.

Also,
can we talk about that scene with Alcide? That just felt really wrong to me. I know Alcide has changed a lot since book 3, and he's not the greatest guy (and I'm certainly no longer on Team Alcide), but I don't think he would be that stupid or easily led to believe that was a good idea. He's big on being pack leader, so I can't even see him wanting to have a relationship with Sookie since it would be doomed to failure since they wouldn't have were children. I dunno, it just felt forced, like she needed an excuse for Sookie to kick out everyone in her house and couldn't come up with anything better.

maybe it was a fairy in disguise!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:04 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
bastah wrote:

Also,

Oh, maybe it did mean that it just made you obligated in some way. Well, regardless, she did say thanks to Dermot!

I've been wondering about the Alcide thing too. What was the purpose of getting rid of Claude, Amelia, and Bob? Amelia really had no purpose for being there in the first place. The fairies could have put up the wards and vampires have their own way of removing blood bonds. Though it's true that Sookie didn't know that. It kind of seems like maybe it was just a lame way to get Amelia to write an email about the c.d. Maybe someone will find that email? I don't know. I do know two things though 1) it established that fairies are tricksters, which seems to be important 2) it established that all supernatural straight men want to bone Sookie. It's because of that spark she has, which we learn about later.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 pm 

appifanie wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
bastah wrote:

Also,

maybe it was a fairy in disguise!

HA! Maybe!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:19 pm 

I wonder if Elena from the Vampire Diaries has that same spark, because every dude on that show wants her

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:00 pm 

I think there are some characters that Charlaine does a great job writing. Claudine, Bubba, and Bellenos (from book 11) are the ones that come to mind. Who else?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bastah wrote:

Yes, there was so much about the fae this time but then nothing happened, I am sure it'll all be in book 12

It was so good to read another Sookie book, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed them, especially as I've been stuck on this really repetitive YA werecat series, Shifters. Now I'm reading Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead, it's shame all her series are only made up of 6 books because they are so good.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:52 pm 

kitteh - I'm working on the series that starts with Shiver and the series that starts with Beautiful Creatures now - if the library will cooperate!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
kitteh - I'm working on the series that starts with Shiver and the series that starts with Beautiful Creatures now - if the library will cooperate!

I loved Beautiful Creatures/Darkness and can't wait for book 3. And I have Shiver but haven't read it yet, I've heard good things. Also look out for Spellbound by Cara Lynn Schultz in June, I've read excellent reviews.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:02 am 

okay, the review titled "Continuity Gets in the Way of a Good Read" makes a LOT of sense, actually. http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Reckoning-So ... 029&sr=8-1

kitteh - i just finished vampire academy - i looooooved it. hardcore. are you on goodreads?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:05 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ooooohhh a colleague lent me the hardback and I read it on saturday. I loved it!

Did I miss a page, or does she forget to explain who sent those two guys who chase Sookie through the woods until Bill's house? I assume it was Sandra, but it doesn't really say, right?
Also, I hope that she's not planning on having a Bill comeback, what with all this new friendship/good neighbors/"I'll just sit here with you naked and don't you look good mmmm" moments.

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next