| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
LebaLu wrote:
Impressed. I confess that seeing a zombie child shot in the head while wearing bunny slippers felt needlessly unsettling. I don't mind being unsettled by adult zombies.

I appreciated that. It said, "Alright, this is how things are going to go down."

This is how I felt too. I actually thought it was a great opening scene and showed how the series won't be holding back at all. As soon as it happened I thought "Now I know this shiitake is going to good!!!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

SandyBadlands wrote:
Badgermog wrote:
Am I actually the only person who thought it was just.....missing something?

I thought it was missing something too. I think it was hard for me to care about the characters, except the man and his son, and that's the thing that always keeps me watching a series. But besides that, it seems like they're doing most everything right, so I have hope for more character development in future episodes!

I was pretty upset that the main character thought it would be a good idea to ride a horse into a city full of zombies, though. Because you know you're gonna sacrifice that horse. So inconsiderate. As a viewer, I'm way more upset by that than just seeing a random horse get eaten by zombies.

These are quite weird gripes in my opinion. As if a guy is going to know how a horse reacts in a zombie apocalypse. Also he had heard Atlanta was safe? Not sure what more they could have done to draw you in to the main character either. Personally I'm glad it hasn't been overly sentimental yet, as that would made it really drag for me.

Anyway I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to more! The park zombie with all the guts hanging out was done SO well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

guy burgess wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:
Badgermog wrote:
Am I actually the only person who thought it was just.....missing something?

I thought it was missing something too. I think it was hard for me to care about the characters, except the man and his son, and that's the thing that always keeps me watching a series. But besides that, it seems like they're doing most everything right, so I have hope for more character development in future episodes!

I was pretty upset that the main character thought it would be a good idea to ride a horse into a city full of zombies, though. Because you know you're gonna sacrifice that horse. So inconsiderate. As a viewer, I'm way more upset by that than just seeing a random horse get eaten by zombies.

These are quite weird gripes in my opinion. As if a guy is going to know how a horse reacts in a zombie apocalypse. Also he had heard Atlanta was safe? Not sure what more they could have done to draw you in to the main character either. Personally I'm glad it hasn't been overly sentimental yet, as that would made it really drag for me.

Anyway I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to more! The park zombie with all the guts hanging out was done SO well.

I guess by upset I just meant I was yelling "Noooo! The horse is gonna die!" at the TV, and though that last scene was disturbing, I suppose that's not a bad thing considering the genre. Still, I would've tried to find a bicycle instead...although maybe he'd be dead if he'd done that.

I'm glad the pilot wasn't overly sentimental too, because that easily could've ruined it. I just would've liked to see a little more personalization of the characters, maybe even a flaw or two, or a couple of endearing lines of dialogue from him to the horse. But I'm looking forward to more character development (and zombies) tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

SandyBadlands wrote:

I guess by upset I just meant I was yelling "Noooo! The horse is gonna die!" at the TV, and though that last scene was disturbing, I suppose that's not a bad thing considering the genre. Still, I would've tried to find a bicycle instead...although maybe he'd be dead if he'd done that.

I'm glad the pilot wasn't overly sentimental too, because that easily could've ruined it. I just would've liked to see a little more personalization of the characters, maybe even a flaw or two, or a couple of endearing lines of dialogue from him to the horse. But I'm looking forward to more character development (and zombies) tonight!

Yeah, the horse thing was so hard to watch, but I definitely didn't think the main guy had any way of knowing. He cared about the horse! It would have died of starvation/dehydration if he had left it alone where it was. I like how disturbing and hard to watch the show is. This week has seemed so long to me! I can't wait till tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:05 am 
Joking!

I also have to watch this on the interwebs, but I've heard good things. Do they show a lot of gore? I mean to the level of detail that Empire Boardwalk shows? I really didn't enjoy THAT much gore when someone's head got blown off/in half. That kind of made me feel sick, it was so real and SO much detail. And I've seen every zombie movie ever....definitely didn't expect to feel pukey from Empire Boardwalk. Now I'm just weary of every tv show, I'm hoping AMC won't go that far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ijustdiedinside wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:

Yeah, the horse thing was so hard to watch, but I definitely didn't think the main guy had any way of knowing. He cared about the horse! It would have died of starvation/dehydration if he had left it alone where it was. I like how disturbing and hard to watch the show is. This week has seemed so long to me! I can't wait till tonight!

The horse thing was the the most upsetting part of the episode.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

cakenstein wrote:
ExpiredSanity wrote:
I'm hoping the father and son show up again in the series too.

me, too. it would be a real shame if, in an attempt to spare his zombie wife, he caught the attention of neighboring zombies and was subsequently devoured.

Without spoiling too much, I can assure you we'll see them again.

And I have to admit, I thought at first that the show was missing something, but after watching it again I realized it was just the pacing. I have no problem with it. It's kinda rare to watch a zombie movie nowadays and go long stretches without seeing any zombies, gore or other action. The pilot took its time setting up certain characters and I liked that. It actually made the world they're in feel more empty and dead because of the room it gave these haunted people to deal with it.

Oooor maybe I'm just giving it too much credit. We'll see tonight whether it's just the pilot that had that pacing or the show overall.

Last edited by brokenbacktango on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I really like the fact that AMC waited a full 30 mins into the show's first episode to show any commercials. It gave me more time to really get into the show. I find myself easily distracted when there are numerous commercial breaks during shows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

cakenstein wrote:
Good stuff! I actually ended up dreaming about zombies after watching it. So is his wife hooking up with his partner/best buddy now? TOO SOON!! Or is it? Was there any indication of passing time? How long was he asleep in the hospital? I've never read the comic, so the answers I'm searching for may already exist..

I remember the black dude saying at one point, "After the first month..." or something like that. So it's been at least a month? How has the main dude not completely wasted away in that time though? Or are we supposed to just suspend belief for the sake of fiction?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mel c wrote:
cakenstein wrote:
Good stuff! I actually ended up dreaming about zombies after watching it. So is his wife hooking up with his partner/best buddy now? TOO SOON!! Or is it? Was there any indication of passing time? How long was he asleep in the hospital? I've never read the comic, so the answers I'm searching for may already exist..

I remember the black dude saying at one point, "After the first month..." or something like that. So it's been at least a month? How has the main dude not completely wasted away in that time though? Or are we supposed to just suspend belief for the sake of fiction?

I was wondering the same thing...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:57 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

mel c wrote:
Or are we supposed to just suspend belief for the sake of fiction?

Yes. After all we've already suspended our belief by accepting the fact that the dead are walking and killing people.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

haha but everything else must be real!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

guy burgess wrote:
haha but everything else must be real!

It's true! I love sci fi, but it needs to be believable sci fi!

ETA: To be fair, I suppose just because shiitake went down more than a month ago, it doesn't necessarily mean that the hospital immediately fell, and perhaps someone was still changing his IV for a while, but that still doesn't explain how he could (albeit feebly) ride a bicycle or even walk without some kind of support.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

im playing devils advocate here but it isnt like we know exactly how bad he was. Not once did we get a run down of his injury so in theory he could have got up but yes he did magically get better after falling down in the hospital and that was a bit silly.

I don't remember the month thing though, hmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Found it: in the police station, Morgan says that gas lines have been down for about a month. I'm less concerned about Rick's ability to heal from a gunshot, but that lying in bed and living off fluids for a month would waste your muscles away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Agreed! Thanks for telling me when it was said! Although gas going down doesnt mean that the hospital would be deserted though. It just means that "it" had spread more and chaos had ensued. What with the neat piles of bodies outside of the hospital and it being barricaded from the inside it makes you assume it was one of the last places to be evacuated/left. Still, it's a bit weird he was the only person there and noone thought to try and move him if they did leave and re: muscle wastage - definitely! They made him fall over because he hadn't walked in ages and then all of a sudden hes on a bike.

When is the 2nd episode on? I hope we all continue to geek out about it, this is fun!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

guy burgess wrote:
When is the 2nd episode on? I hope we all continue to geek out about it, this is fun!

Tonight I believe, but I'm not sure since I don't have a TV.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

guy burgess wrote:
Still, it's a bit weird he was the only person there and noone thought to try and move him if they did leave and re: muscle wastage - definitely! They made him fall over because he hadn't walked in ages and then all of a sudden hes on a bike.

I assume they didn't evacuate the hospital and were overrun by zombies, hence the nurse corpse in the hallway. He had to push a gurney away from the front of his door, so perhaps that was the writer's excuse for how he hadn't been found by the zombies.

Another thing that bothers me about shows/movies like this is that they never call them zombies! "Zombies" has become such a part of our culture, that it's hard to believe that if I were Rick I'd be thinking, "Oh, yeah? Walkers?" No, it would be more like, "HOLYSHITZOMBIES!"

The next episode is tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:16 pm 

mel, i always think the same thing - it's funny how in zombie movies no one has ever heard of a zombie before. It happens with a lot of types of movies/shows too. In fact, Farscape is the only tv show I can think of where the main character used knowledge he had from tv, movies and books to figure out what the hell was going on. which, i guess, is why he wasnt all that freaked out that he had landed on an alien ship with crazy looking aliens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am really excited for episode 3. I assumed he wouldn't meet up with his family so soon, I thought they would draw that out a little longer. I wondered about the whole waking up and being ok thing, that doesn't seem realistic. He must have been in a coma otherwise why would his family just leave him behind??? I am dying to find out what happens when he realizes his buddy is banging his wife

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 am 

I'm having a hard time getting through this. When did I become such a wuss?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:38 am 
Joking!

I SSSOOOOOOO wish I didn't just watch this right at bed time, laying in bed, in the dark with my boyfriend asleep the whole time and when I was already having a panic attack about other stuff that was totally unrelated, but still, my heart was already palpitating from my panic attack so now I feel even weirder/worse. And I also feel kind of pukey from dinner. Uuuugh, bad decision.

The show is totally good though. Definitely will watch it the whole way through.....although....even though I'm a huge zombie movie fan, have seen almost every one, I don't usually watch them every single week, they do kind of freak me out just because I have a crazy imagination and I start thinking about other stuff that triggers unrelated panic attacks even though it's not zombie centered, just impending doom feelings (my debt and inadequate income gives me panic attacks.....like I actually feel like I will die from my debt, yay anxiety disorder). Plus I think any apocalyptic movie/show makes everyone kind of feel weird and lonely after.

As far as the father/son characters talking about the "first month", they may just be talking about the first month after it happened, it doesn't necessarily mean it's been a month since the main character has been fed. The hospital could have been going for a while after it first started happening and then if he had a water/vitamin drip then he would have stayed hydrated even after the hospital got all f-ed up and dead, and so even then after his water would have run out he was completely and totally at rest not exerting any energy/resources so I think feasibly he could have gone a while after the whole zombie apocalypse happened.

ETA: I'm only at the first episode, I don't have cable so I had to wait for it to be online and I only just got around to doing that now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:41 am 
Joking!

mel c wrote:
guy burgess wrote:
Still, it's a bit weird he was the only person there and noone thought to try and move him if they did leave and re: muscle wastage - definitely! They made him fall over because he hadn't walked in ages and then all of a sudden hes on a bike.

I assume they didn't evacuate the hospital and were overrun by zombies, hence the nurse corpse in the hallway. He had to push a gurney away from the front of his door, so perhaps that was the writer's excuse for how he hadn't been found by the zombies.

Another thing that bothers me about shows/movies like this is that they never call them zombies! "Zombies" has become such a part of our culture, that it's hard to believe that if I were Rick I'd be thinking, "Oh, yeah? Walkers?" No, it would be more like, "HOLYSHITZOMBIES!"

The next episode is tonight!

They called them zombies in Zombieland right? And Shaun of the Dead, although I think Shaun didn't want to use the "zed word".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am 
Joking!

Oh gawd, plus I totally live in the ghetto and you could mistake the noises people make outside on the street just about any night for a zombie apocalypse, plus the gun shots! Like right now, someone is making totally weird incoherent screaming noises like a zombie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mel, i always think the same thing - it's funny how in zombie movies no one has ever heard of a zombie before. It happens with a lot of types of movies/shows too. In fact, Farscape is the only tv show I can think of where the main character used knowledge he had from tv, movies and books to figure out what the hell was going on. which, i guess, is why he wasnt all that freaked out that he had landed on an alien ship with crazy looking aliens.

There's an essay in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs where Chuck Klosterman talks about fiction within fiction. He references a Roger Ebert review (of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I think) where Ebert ponders if Harrison Ford's character in _____ can rent Raiders of the Lost Ark. And then further, Klosterman wonders how Madonna's character in Desperately Seeking Susan would react if she heard a Madonna song in a record store.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next