| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Dunebug wrote:
I just watched it, I'm way into it so far.
I don't know anything about the comics, but is it just because it's a convenient way to start zombie stories that 28 Days Later starts almost exactly the same way, or are they based off the same thing?

Kirkman has tried to keep himself away from media that would influence him (things like The Road etc,)
the comic came out in 2003 and 28 days later was released in UK in Nov 2002 and some time in 2003 everywhere else I think.

Now 28 Days Later is a Retelling of sorts of Day of the Triffids with the zombies kind of doing double duty as the plants and the blind people. (Boyle talks about that on the DVD).

with out dropping spoilers though I can say that where there is a good but of similarity to both Boyle's take on the whole thing and Romero's take on the whole thing. Kirkman does make the thing his own and explores some angles that no one has thought of yet.

also Days Gone Bye is the first arc in the comic so there is a whole ton of stuff further down the pipe.
-D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

panda wrote:
They called them zombies in Zombieland right? And Shaun of the Dead, although I think Shaun didn't want to use the "zed word".

But those are comedies. It's as if serious zombie fiction requires denial of any zombie self-awareness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

We're only into the second episode and already I don't want this show to ever end! I'm loving it! I feel like anything can happen at any moment so I'm always freaking out that one of the characters are going to die some horrible death right when I am starting to like them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't read the comics, but I am enjoying the show so far. I am excited to see where it goes from here, tempted to get the comics and cheat, but I won't.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:27 pm 
Joking!

mel c wrote:
panda wrote:
They called them zombies in Zombieland right? And Shaun of the Dead, although I think Shaun didn't want to use the "zed word".

But those are comedies. It's as if serious zombie fiction requires denial of any zombie self-awareness.

they're "romzomcoms". I hate to admit how long it's been since I watched a Romero film, probably not since the last one came out on dvd, which is a while, but does he ever use the zed word in any of his later movies? Land of the Dead maybe? I don't remember because I really haven't seen that one since it first came out, but if any zombie movie would use the zed word it seems like it might be that one.

ETA: Yeah they use it, they said it in the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:36 pm 
Joking!

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
mel, i always think the same thing - it's funny how in zombie movies no one has ever heard of a zombie before. It happens with a lot of types of movies/shows too. In fact, Farscape is the only tv show I can think of where the main character used knowledge he had from tv, movies and books to figure out what the hell was going on. which, i guess, is why he wasnt all that freaked out that he had landed on an alien ship with crazy looking aliens.

There's an essay in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs where Chuck Klosterman talks about fiction within fiction. He references a Roger Ebert review (of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I think) where Ebert ponders if Harrison Ford's character in _____ can rent Raiders of the Lost Ark. And then further, Klosterman wonders how Madonna's character in Desperately Seeking Susan would react if she heard a Madonna song in a record store.

That was actually a part of the subject matter in my wandering train of thought all through elementary school, things like that and the vastness of the universe and if there's an edge of the universe and what if there's not and what nothingness is really like.....I was a weird child.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

boychucker wrote:
I haven't read the comics, but I am enjoying the show so far. I am excited to see where it goes from here, tempted to get the comics and cheat, but I won't.

Same here. I've been toying with the idea of going into the comic book store and glancing through them though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 am 
Joking!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! It's so good. The BF finally got home from work around 1 so I could watch the second episode, and I'm STILL up because of how stressed out I am......I don't know if my heart can handle all this anxiety every week. Ummm.....but wait, people were talking about them reuniting, did I miss the very end? I had to watch it streaming from an unofficial site. It ended up with the guy driving the muscle car on the highway. Was that right? Craaap, I totally have to work tomorrow allll day and night and I can't sleep. I'm so anxious from this show, which of course triggered the financial centered panic attack, so i watched Weeds to try and get me to go to sleep, but then THAT show made me more angsty. uuuughhh. I need to fall asleep like 4 hours ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 am 
protein lump

i had zombie dreams last night. just sayin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

esme wrote:
i had zombie dreams last night. just sayin.

we watched the first episode right before bed on Sunday night and I had zombie nightmares.

Seriously loved the first episode, it seems to be pretty true to the comic. It made me seriously unsettled though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I can't wait for the next ep because Norman Sexypants Reedus's character premieres!

Zombies? I eat zombies for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:04 pm 
protein lump

hana wrote:
it seems to be pretty true to the comic. It made me seriously unsettled though!

agreed. i can see shot for shot how it follows the comic, but i find myself holding my breath when watching the show which i totally didn't do when reading the comics. it's much more intense in a live-action form.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I watched the first ep. today and feel depressed! :/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I didn't see read the comics. Can we be sure not to post comic spoilers here? Maybe a separate thread for spoilers or something?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm 
Joking!

I watched the second episode last night and was up until 4 in the morning. Work was rrrrroough today.

My roommates and I have all decided to go the screenings that the new vegan bar in our neighborhood has on Sundays when it airs. Yaayyyy!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

mel c wrote:
guy burgess wrote:
Still, it's a bit weird he was the only person there and noone thought to try and move him if they did leave and re: muscle wastage - definitely! They made him fall over because he hadn't walked in ages and then all of a sudden hes on a bike.

When is the 2nd episode on? I hope we all continue to geek out about it, this is fun!

I assume they didn't evacuate the hospital and were overrun by zombies, hence the nurse corpse in the hallway. He had to push a gurney away from the front of his door, so perhaps that was the writer's excuse for how he hadn't been found by the zombies.

Another thing that bothers me about shows/movies like this is that they never call them zombies! "Zombies" has become such a part of our culture, that it's hard to believe that if I were Rick I'd be thinking, "Oh, yeah? Walkers?" No, it would be more like, "HOLYSHITZOMBIES!"

The next episode is tonight!

This is old news, since everyone but me has now seen the second episode, but my filling in of the story in my head went something like: zombie outbreak begins, heightened security at hospital, hospital holds out as long as it can, begins the pile of wrapped-up bodies outside, hospital slowly loses staff/patients, population inside hospital dwindles to a point where zombies overrun the few people left (hence the dead nurse and the dead locked in the closet or room or whatever). Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Also, I got the impression that the "walkers" thing was kind of playing up the whole southern theme of the show. You know, like southerners wouldn't call them zombies - they'd have their own name for them. I actually really like the name walkers for zombies. But, Mel, you're right - I can't believe that no one would have called them zombies!

I can't wait to watch the second episode (hopefully tonight!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
I didn't see read the comics. Can we be sure not to post comic spoilers here? Maybe a separate thread for spoilers or something?

Yay, we have a spoiler tag now!

Spoiler: show
Please put your cominc book spoilers in the tag crasshole friend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ooh, girl. You know I wanna get next to you. I said I said oooooh, guh-url. I wanna get all up on it (ooooh). A-let me uh-lay-ya dow-own... on the picnic blanket (yaaaah yah-ee-yah). I said let a-let me lay you dow-ooh-own. And get scandelous, bay-baaaaay.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

For people who need a laugh: http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/ ... de-of.html

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
Ooh, girl. You know I wanna get next to you. I said I said oooooh, guh-url. I wanna get all up on it (ooooh). A-let me uh-lay-ya dow-own... on the picnic blanket (yaaaah yah-ee-yah). I said let a-let me lay you dow-ooh-own. And get scandelous, bay-baaaaay.

ASL? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 pm 

Haha, the boy who cried spoiler! I had to look, I knew they weren't real spoilers. Jerks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ExpiredSanity wrote:
ASL? ;)

18/F/Next Door. Want a link to my Amazon wish list?

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am 
Joking!

toooniiiiight!

we're going to pine box rock shop in brooklyn to watch it......supposedly vegan menu? i keep hearing about a vegan menu but i can't find it anywhere online, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Too late for today, but I think next week I'll cook a Walking Dead-themed meal. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 am 
Joking!

dakini wrote:
Too late for today, but I think next week I'll cook a Walking Dead-themed meal. Any ideas?

yes, but you'd have to break vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

dudes, i can't watch this show anymore. i LOVE it, but i am bad with horror/suspense movies and tv of any variety as it is. i literally couldn't sleep for about 3 days after watching the first episode and kept on getting up to check the doors were locked. i keep replaying parts of the episode over and over again. the point that i knew i had to stop was when i picked up a knife when i was in the kitchen and i heard the front door open even though i KNEW it was my husband coming home. oh yeah, and trying to decide how me and my baby would survive the zombie apocalypse or whether i'd just give up in the first week and commit suicide.

something about my post-pregnant brain can't handle that kind of stress any more. i'm sad though, this show is forking good and i really really want to watch it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next