| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celebrities/"celebrities" you have seen in real life
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

GraciaKai wrote:
vijita wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
I once ate at a sushi restaurant and Donald Brashear was there with his family. I made my friend ask him for his autograph cause I was too chicken shiitake to do it!

Colour me impressed!

Did you see that he's an MMA fighter? He knocked out a dude in like 20 seconds! He's bad asparagus!

I think he is still the Canucks' all-time season leader in penalty minutes. Whoa. I'd be scared. I betcha he picked up his sushi habit in Vancouver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Another forgotten sighting, Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale and Kingston were taking a walk down Boylston Street in Boston by Emerson College (where I worked at the time). A friend and I followed them into Chinatown, but we didn't want to interrupt the family moment to ask for autographs or anything. We ended up ducking into a CVS because we felt like jerks for following them. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
I think he is still the Canucks' all-time season leader in penalty minutes. Whoa. I'd be scared. I betcha he picked up his sushi habit in Vancouver.

I'd be scared too! I read an article where they were questioning his ability to fight "properly" I guess. And my husband and I were like, if he can fight on ice skates then he can fight period!

Was he with the Canucks before the Flyers? This was like in 2005/2006 I want to say. Before I was vegan!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This thread is bringing back some memories! Rather than making a COMPLETE asparagus of myself, I will only make a partial asparagus of myself by including an arguably tasteful selection of ridiculous, fun, stupid, and/or inappropriate rock and roll adventures.

I was, erm, up close and personal with [dude from that evening's headlining band], backstage at Chicago's Park West, ensconced in a spot we figured no one would find us, when Damien Rice -- who was opening that night, and whose records I have loved/wept to slavishly forever -- strolled past, then turned back around and yelled, "Get a forkin' room!" I immediately got all embarrassed and apologetic but the dude I was with (who I suppose would've known; they were on tour together for months) thought he was kidding, so we let it drop and I never got to meet Mr. Rice. :sniffles:

Got to spend one birthday riding/sleeping on a tour bus from New York to DC with Fountains of Wayne. They picked me up at my friend's house in Manhattan and everything.

Tagged along with TV on the Radio from Anacortes, WA to their first-ever show in Vancouver, BC... 2004? (Yes!) We had a fancy dinner with some folks from the CBC and afterward took pictures with... a bronze buffalo statue, for some reason? In contrast to the trillion and one skeezy rock dudes I've met in my travels, everyone in that band is/was a mensch of the highest order. Just golden.

Was inexplicably asked (by JKS! ka-swoon) to play guitar with the Weakerthans when I was maybe 18 or 19 and a local entertainment paper noted in their review of the show that the band had "invited a middle school student onstage."

Got tipsy on Smirnoff Ice Triple Black (:baaaaaarfs:) with Andrew Bird one million centuries ago because we didn't want to drink whiskey neats and ol' 3XB was the only other option. He is strange and beautiful and deeply intimidating.

Physically ran into Jared Leto backstage at Lollapalooza some year.. 2005 or 2006? He was wearing all white, head to toe, with huge smears of makeup around his eyes. I had no idea he was in a band at the time; I just thought he was wandering around in a costume for some reason.

paprikapapaya wrote:
I used to run a big fansite for Marilyn Manson, and spoke on the phone with Twiggy, Zim Zum and TRENT forking REZNOR on several occasions for interviews, to talk about getting exclusive candid photos, etc. I saw NIN a few years ago when Twiggy/Jeordie was their bassist and I was totally grinning all night because I was all, "I KNOW THEM. They know my name!" I was good friends with Twiggy's girlfriend. I still to this day remember Trent's personal email address from back in the day, which I'm sure he doesn't use anymore.
I was the biggest fan of Zim Zum though, and out of nostalgia I sent him a message on Twitter one day and he totally remembered me, asked me what was new and we wrote back and forth for a while!
I met Canadian indie dude Hayden and he hit on me.

I wish I was you!!!!! On all counts. I just.. yeah. Wow. :dies of jealousy:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm 
Hip Goiter

Simply_Love wrote:
I saw Orlando Bloom a few years ago. I was in Bend, OR for my sister's wedding, and saw him cross the street with a very buff man I assume was his body guard. It was funny, I thought the guy was just a look-a-like because why the heck would Orlando Bloom be in Bend, OR of all places? I texted my best friend (who has a major crush on him) and told her I had just seen a look-a-like, and we joked for a while about the reasons he would be in Bend if it was truly him. The next day I went with my sister and the other bridesmaides to get our nails done before the wedding. In the middle of getting them done, one of her friends said, "So have you guys heard Orlando Bloom's in town?" Turns out he was there for a bike race of some sort. Most certainly not one of the reasons we had come up with! :P

I proposed to Orlando Bloom at The Lard of the Rings: The Two Towers premiere! Hey I was like 17. He was nice in declining though.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

I saw Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob) at a hotel I was staying at in Chicago over a decade ago when I was 15. I was pretty excited and had to tell Kevin Smith how cool I thought his movies were, he seemed nice. Jason Mewes asked me if I wanted to fork, he was very obviously in a not sober phase.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I was about 9 I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger at the Planet Hollywood in the Mall of America. I was in the Twin Cities with my family looking at houses before we moved there. I didn't talk to him or get his autograph or anything though, he was in the middle of dinner and had some burly looking bodyguards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am 
Chip Strong

I play in a band with two of the ex-members of the Kill Devil Hills, but for anyone who doesn't live in Western Australia, or Australia at the very least, that's not overly remarkable. My brother is in the Joe Kings - again, same deal.

I walked past Molly Meldrum in Central in Hong Kong a few years ago (2007?). I did a bit of a double-take, because I'd been seeing him on TV for years as a small child, and it's just weird when you see someone so familiar who you've never met..... I think that's when I first realised how much of an international city HK is.

On a more recent trip to Edinburgh, I saw both Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran, at different times. I was too shy to say hi to Bill Bailey, who was getting out of a taxi on the main drag. I saw Dylan Moran when I'd gone out to buy groceries near where I was staying - he was with his wife and kids, and scowled at me in a way that suggested that he did not want to be approached by giddy fans, so I kinda grinned and kept going. Oh well.

Strangely, I never met Heath Ledger, although I know several people who were good friends of his in their highschool days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:50 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Kiersten wrote:
When I was a kid we belonged to the same beach club as Bruce Springsteen. His cabana was a few over from ours.

(cue the sound of jogirl passing out from jealousy in the corner)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if this counts because he wasn't a celebrity yet when I saw him, but Peter Paige went to my high school and was only two years ahead of me. I saw him in numerous school plays and in the halls regularly & we had a few mutual friends. I don't remember if I ever officially met him or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

deearess wrote:
I don't know if this counts because he wasn't a celebrity yet when I saw him, but Peter Paige went to my high school and was only two years ahead of me. I saw him in numerous school plays and in the halls regularly & we had a few mutual friends. I don't remember if I ever officially met him or not.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I am so jealous. I LOVE Queer as Folk, it is like my all time favorite show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

My boyfriend saw Phil Jupitus buying a pie in Ipswich.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I met Thom Yorke from Radiohead when he was giving out copies of The Universal Sigh outside Rough Trade East

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:28 am 
WRETCHED

Flying through LAX (I've only done it a couple of times), I've seen a few tv stars and what not. During undergrad, I went to two different colleges and a different college for summer school. All 3 of them had tv shows/movies filmed at them so you'd see various movie stars/tv stars from time to time. I didn't like the show but 90210 was the primary one at my first college.

In Maryland, I didn't recognize them but saw some really really tall guys walking down the street. Someone I was with at the time recognized them as NBA stars and was pretty excited about it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so tall.

The thing I got most excited about one day was seeing a cube looking car (forget what they are called) with question marks on it. It was the question mark guy from TV. It was just a crazy thing to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Pi_Face wrote:
I met Thom Yorke from Radiohead when he was giving out copies of The Universal Sigh outside Rough Trade East

So awesome!
My husband saw Radiohead before they were anything big, and I guess before the show, he was at the record store next to the venue and Thom Yorke was looking at records. Trevor said, "Oh, you're that guy from the band I'm going to see." and Thom smiled and said, "Yup."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:53 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I've got some good ones! Well, good to me! And pictures!

One day I was roaming around Harvard Sq waiting for a friend and I saw Ben Affleck go into a bank, I waited patiently til he came out and saw that he wasn't being stalked noticed by anyone else so with shaking hands and a rapidly beating heart I went up to him all by my lonesome and asked for a photo. He was super nice and agreed, he took my camera and handed it to his friend to take the photo. See photo below (yeah, i'm a show off)
That very same day I was also going to a book reading/signing by my favorite author, Augusten Burroughs and afterwards I got to chat and take a photograph with him.

On one of my visits to California a few years ago my sister and I were in a very dark empty bar in West Hollywood drinking margaritas. I went into the bathroom and was chatting it up with some random patron and she mentioned that Vince Vaughn was at the bar. I grabbed my sis and found him hiding in the darkest corner of the bark with what appeared to be a body guard. I should mention, said bouncer was a pretty husky guy wearing a black tank top that said forker in blong across the chest We had gulped down a few drinks prior to this so we were feeling ballsy and walked right up to him and asked for a photo. The bouncer immediately intervened and this is what happened:
Bouncer: Sorry ladies, you know what will happen if that shiitake gets on TMZ
Sister: {{pokes bouncer in the chest and giggles}} Listen, forker, we want a picture with Vince Vaughn.
Bouncer: Sorry ladies, we will buy you a drink instead.

We didnt take the drink, we were acting like school girls and had to get out of there!

I was in California this past fall and got to hang out back stage at the Ellen Show where I was a hands length away from Portia di Rossi and Taylor Swift. My sister is the nanny/assistant for the president of Ellens production company so she is frequently at the studios meeting famous people.

On that same trip to Cali, I was at The Grove shopping and visiting a friend who worked there and I saw Mario Lopez walking around. Apparently they tape his show in the middle of the shopping plaza and his guest was Maurice Bernard (Sonny Corinthos on General Hospital)
I've also met some of the band members of Silverstein which was pretty cool because their music is awesome and the entire band is veg*n, they autographed my hoodie, but I forgot and washed it =/

At a previous job I had I talked to Joe Montana on the phone.

I feel like there are more that I am forgetting but my most remembered one ever is meeting and hanging out with my favorite band, Alesana. Most people probably haven't heard of them but I love them. I met them at Warped Tour last year, a few months later we were all the bar of a venue they were playing at that night and were shooting the shiitake. A few months ago I went to see them in Worcester and was killing time in a shitty little hole in the wall bar while the opening bands played and half of the band walked in. The place was empty so it was just Jeremy, myself, a few local yocals and the guys in the band. We all started drinking together, taking shots and hanging out. We all left to go to the venue so they could play and after they played there was another band that I didn't care about so I went back to the bar and the guys came back and again we took shots and drank til after last call. We took a bunch of photos but we all look wasted and hideous in most of them but here are 2 good ones:

Oh! alligatordisco and I saw Kirstie Alley getting into a cab at South Station in Boston Memorial Day Weekend!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used to cocktail waitress at a music venue in Chicago. The only performers I remember acknowledging the staff were Amy Poehler (it was some benefit, she was there as well as Seth Meyers from Weekend Update) she said hi and smiled at everyone in the service bar as she walked past after the performance, she's super tiny, Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes (he was heading down the back hallway where performers enter and exit, and where servers have to go to service bar) I almost smacked into him, and he said hi, and surprisingly Kanye West (he was playing a private party sweet 16 for the daughter of Oprah's business partner) he seemed really happy to be there, and made it a point to stop at the service bar to say hi to everyone. I ended up hanging out with two guys from his entourage while he performed, and they were really cool too, we talked about fashion and hairstyles, especially cool fades.

I gave Ben Gibbard the stink eye because I was standing by the security guard I really liked while they discussed details, I flagged down Dave Eggers to collect a donation at a benefit for 826CHI. I met Nick Arrojo from What Not to Wear and probably freaked him out fangirling all over him, I told him I wanted to be Stacy London when I grow up, he looked scared.

The Goo Goo Dolls played for some radio station, and Johnny Reznick seemed like a total tool. Before they played he was walking around the venue with a lit cigarette and one of my fantastic fellow waitresses jumped up in his face and was like "you can't smoke in here! You have to put that out NOW!" and he looked terrified. It's one of my favorite memories.

My husband went to high school with a few of the guys from Fall Out Boy, and his old band used to play with them years ago. His best friend worked at a water park with Pete Wentz. Two guys from my hometown used to be in Fall Out Boy so they played in this tiny venue that used to be a repair garage place, and they were so terrible at that point that almost everyone went outside to smoke while they played. I'm 90% certain I saw them afterwords at Baker's Square with friends of friends, but I don't totally remember.

My mom studied at Second City when John Belushi and Bill Murray were there. John Belushi hit on her (my mom was ridiculously hot) and she said Bill Murray used to just sit in the corner by himself at parties. My mom also schtupped a guy who ended up a producer on Seinfeld, but I can't remember his name.

ETA I forgot that my husband also used to work at a grocery store where Harold Ramis shopped on a regular basis. He also met Vince Vaughn while working as a carriage driver downtown, and he saw Sylvester Stallone the same way.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:46 pm 

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I've also met some of the band members of Silverstein which was pretty cool because their music is awesome and the entire band is veg*n, they autographed my hoodie, but I forgot and washed it =/

Oh, I forgot this one - Billy Hamilton is my cousin! Since it's not my kinda music I forget that they are famous, but he's a great guy and we go out for food whenever we're in the same city.

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

One day when I was walking around Back Bay in Boston, I crossed paths with Robin Williams twice. He was walking with a woman, and talking really loudly in a very Robin Williams voice. I almost thought it was too stereotypically zany to actually be him, but I checked online later and it turned out that he was in town for something.

I saw Matt Dillon while I was waiting (unsuccessfully) to get into a taping of SNL. He, of course, was let in without having to wait at all. Sheesh.

When I worked at Borders in Seattle, Billy Corgan came in to buy some CDs. He was taller and better looking in person that I expected. When he made his purchase, the credit card he tried to pay with didn't go though, so our Music Supervisor ended up buying his stack CDs for him. That was the first time I understood why celebrities get so much free shiitake.

My lamest one: I talked to Doug Llwelyn (from The People's Court) when I worked at the Apple Store in Seattle. I think he was just doing some Christmas shopping.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I feel like there are more that I am forgetting but my most remembered one ever is meeting and hanging out with my favorite band, Alesana. Most people probably haven't heard of them but I love them.

Hey! I edited for you a special "alesana sings happy birthday for liz" picture using MS Paint, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:02 pm 

ETA: Nevermind. Kind of private!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:39 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

paprikapapaya wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:

Oh, I forgot this one - Billy Hamilton is my cousin! Since it's not my kinda music I forget that they are famous, but he's a great guy and we go out for food whenever we're in the same city.

Um, tell him I love him? And invite me to lunch!
andi_vert wrote:

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I feel like there are more that I am forgetting but my most remembered one ever is meeting and hanging out with my favorite band, Alesana. Most people probably haven't heard of them but I love them.

Hey! I edited for you a special "alesana sings happy birthday for liz" picture using MS Paint, haha.

Haha I know, I loved it, I was so inebriated that weekend I totally forgot to acknowledge that one specifically! I suck! How did you know I love them?

paprikapapaya wrote:
ETA: Nevermind. Kind of private!

Gah! Don't tease!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

gunk wrote:
On a more recent trip to Edinburgh, I saw both Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran, at different times. I was too shy to say hi to Bill Bailey, who was getting out of a taxi on the main drag. I saw Dylan Moran when I'd gone out to buy groceries near where I was staying - he was with his wife and kids, and scowled at me in a way that suggested that he did not want to be approached by giddy fans, so I kinda grinned and kept going. Oh well.

I forgot that I've seen Dylan Moran around a few times. He always looks a bit surly.

At least one friend has seen JK Rowling at Starbucks.

My brother met Harold Ramis once about 10 years ago. He said he's huge - not necessarily round, but crazy tall (though my brother is on the short side of average).

Oh, and my best friend and her husband almost ran into Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) at the WH Smith at Waverley (I think) and ended up being on the same train.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
andi_vert wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:

Haha I know, I loved it, I was so inebriated that weekend I totally forgot to acknowledge that one specifically! I suck! How did you know I love them?

I think I read something on facebook : O! Can't remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rachell37 wrote:
Oh, and my best friend and her husband almost ran into Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) at the WH Smith at Waverley (I think) and ended up being on the same train.

*swoon*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next