| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Food Network Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:57 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Another things that bothered me is they did not like the pie guy incorporating pie into his burger. I bet if he did not try the pie angle they would have been all over him...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

missmuffcake wrote:
Another things that bothered me is they did not like the pie guy incorporating pie into his burger. I bet if he did not try the pie angle they would have been all over him...

Well, to be fair, he didn't do it well. I mean, basically all he did was put a burger on top of a triangle of crust. He should have made mini burger pies or something. There is more he could have done.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

true, but i feel they will fault him for his pie angle no matter what...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

takecare wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
I felt bad for Andres, I can totally understand why he did not want to push the weight loss angle. It is a touchy subject for some of us. I think he could have did a healthier eating for novice cooks angle or something.

They did this to someone last season too. Whoever it was had a different angle (that admittedly could have used a little refining) but they were basically like "That's the story we want. If you can't play that up, we won't give you a show"

i remember that too! and then i think at elimination (or round table as they called it one season) suzie actually called him a "b.s. artist" or something along those lines for like playing up the weight loss issue so late in the game.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

takecare wrote:
my brain exploded. how did denushka survive TWO potential eliminations?? she's wretched.

agreed, i don't think her fellow contestants like her either. sorta like that 'grills gone wild girl' from last season. i don't think many people liked her (contestants and the public) but at least she was better than denushka.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just finished watching however many episodes of this they've had (2?)

i was hesitant to watch a show that brought the world Guy Fieri but i still watched.

i dont have any favorites yet but it's interesting to watch.

i hate to call Denushka a bisque because it seems like the stereotypical thing for everyone to call the pretty thin girl a bisque but damn she is one raging bisque. she is not nice.
i dont understand how she lasted 2 episodes she is horrible on tv.

im a bit confused about Viet. he obviously seems to be an accomplished chef but seems horribly shy and not really a tv guy so why is he doing this? he doesnt seem like he WANTS to be on camera.

yeah the veggie girl who tried to make a burger of meat and veggies......ick....im surprised anyone wanted to try it. if i ate meat i wouldnt want to try it....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Viet is on the wrong show. He seems more suited to Top Chef.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

they are keeping viet cuz he's an awesome cook, i think they are hoping he will become less camera shy. they usually hang on to people who can cook really well even if they are lacking in personality. there was some hottie guy from one or two seasons ago who could cook really well but ended up getting let go cuz he couldn't connect with the camera.

there should be a 3rd episode to watch now either on hulu or directly from the food network website.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

So long Danushka! I thought they would keep her around longer just to peas more people off!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
there should be a 3rd episode to watch now either on hulu or directly from the food network website.

It's on a 4 day delay on hulu - episodes don't post until Thursdays.

I like Viet, and I think he could warm up to the camera, but I don't know if he'll ever have quite enough on-screen personality to do a show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zelavie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I like Viet, and I think he could warm up to the camera, but I don't know if he'll ever have quite enough on-screen personality to do a show.

yes, but you can watch it directly from the foodnetwork site the next day. i think the top right hand corner has a link to view full episodes of many different tv shows.
project runway is the same way, big delay on hulu, but is available the next day directly on lifetime.

and we have no cable tv subscription so you don't have to have any fancy log in information to watch the shows directly from the network's website the very next day. there are a few exceptions to this rule (cartoon network/adult swim) but that definitely is not the norm.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
So long Danushka! I thought they would keep her around longer just to peas more people off!

no kidding. she was so aloof and weird.

and what a serious prize that gal and pie man won. to be a judge! that was such an unexpected twist. and i was really surprised at how well received the gal's criticism was to the people she judged. perhaps since she is credible and likeable that is why her constructive criticism was well received. could you have imagined how things would have went down if danushka had won and got to be a judge?!

p.s. am definitely not cheering for veggie girl anymore. i am not pleased how she is working her POV. veggies the star of the plate, meat on the side. it's not working for what she is creating. she should have made a true veggie burger. but anyway, she is so cute and has a great personality, but i don't see her winning. i'm glad she is on the next food network star but i feel her POV is not that clear, and i wish she could just go all-out veggie but i don't think the show or network would give her that opportunity. it's a shame because a vegetarian or vegan show on the food network would be so freaking awesome -- especially since it has the possibilty to reach so many people over the air waves.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:

Yes! Oh man, I really disliked her so much. I'm glad they didn't keep her around to be the villain of the piece. I took extreme glee in watching the audience approval meter take a nosedive as soon as she opened her mouth, though. I didn't like her when she was on Chopped, either - she's just got a really smug, off-putting personality.

I don't really have any opinions on the other contestants, except that I always really like Lovely's lipstick. Her show pitch, not so much, but the lady can rock a bold lip.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
zelavie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

yes, but you can watch it directly from the foodnetwork site the next day. i think the top right hand corner has a link to view full episodes of many different tv shows.
project runway is the same way, big delay on hulu, but is available the next day directly on lifetime.

and we have no cable tv subscription so you don't have to have any fancy log in information to watch the shows directly from the network's website the very next day. there are a few exceptions to this rule (cartoon network/adult swim) but that definitely is not the norm.

Ooh, good to know! I don't know why I never thought to check their site. I always watch PR on Lifetime!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@zelavie, glad to share that secret with you! the only other exception is FOX, there is an 8 day delay with hulu getting the shows. it's no big deal, it was only noticeable when fox/hulu first made that change mid-season.

and yes i always watch PR on lifetime too! addicted to that show, i've seen every single season + the all stars stuff too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

why can't the pie guy make decent pie?

the chili could have been 100% veg, no one can tell! why add meat to everything!?

bye lovely, i thought she was phoney...i did not care for her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:
the chili could have been 100% veg, no one can tell! why add meat to everything!?

I'm thinking either she's afraid that leaving out the meat will cost her approval, or her veggie-centric schtick doesn't run quite as deep as she makes it out to. Either way, weak sauce.

You knew Lovely was going home as soon as she busted out store-bought pizza dough to make donuts. What?

My favorite part about this show is Alton's reactions to things. His face after watching the "romance" video was priceless.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

missmuffcake wrote:
why can't the pie guy make decent pie?

It's...puzzling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

maybe he is NOT the pie guy! oh and i could not understand him in the promo spot. put a guitar in front of him and he mumbles...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

missmuffcake wrote:
maybe he is NOT the pie guy! oh and i could not understand him in the promo spot. put a guitar in front of him and he mumbles...

That could explain why "rock and roll no longer paid the bills."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 pm 

::snortle::

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm okay with Nikki calling herself "semi-vegetarian" if she EVER makes dishes that are actually vegetarian. But everything she's made so far is not vegetarian in the least. Most veg*ns won't eat a dish with just a little meat in it. How about taking your "meat on the side" concept and actually making the meat optional or not even there? The world will not end for lack of bacon.

(in other words, I'm totally over her)

Lovely's time was limited, as is pie guy and deadly sins guy. I think they'll be the next to go. I also don't expect the one who revealed last week that he's a former drug addict to last much longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I think the whole "semi-vegetarian" thing is just the result of too much emphasis on POV, OMG POV!!! POV!!!

Although, that hasn't been as obnoxious this season without Suzy and the-guy-who-reminds-me-of-kermit-the-frog* on the judging panels. Suzy's constant fake sincere nodding while contestants are having meltdowns grates. I'm sure they are both perfectly nice, but I think they drag the show down with their harping on "stories" and "pov."

*I know that is kinda mean, but does anybody else see it? Actually it isn't entirely mean--the guy seems kind of sweet in a kermit sort of way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:53 am 

Wow, I did not even notice that Suzie and Bob were gone until you just said it. Kinda' weird!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

IsaChandra wrote:
Wow, I did not even notice that Suzie and Bob were gone until you just said it. Kinda' weird!

haha yea me too. weird!

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next