| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Switched At Birth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ok, I'll share my full thoughts on this past season.

I no longer like Daphne. I was okay with her last season, even with the black mail because I could see a teenager doing that and not realizing that it is a felony. And she chose to turn herself in instead of letting John bail her out.

However, while doing community service at the clinic, she has two boys fawning over her, both whom she likes. She saves the doctors life and finds that she wants to be a doctor. It feels more like she was being rewarded than serving a punishment. Then comes her behavior after Angelo's death. Angelo was the one parent who seemed to view Bay as his child and to actually show an interest in her life. Suddenly, Daphne has one night where she bonds with him, (though I swore that they were going to make out in that restaurant, Katie Leclerc looks way to old to play a high school student) and suddenly she is the one most affected by Angelo's death. Not Regina, who had just lost the love of her life, not Bay who never felt like she fit in and had one parent to dote on her. Nope Daphne. Blaming Regina was out of line and made no sense considering she was the first to accept that Angelo was brain dead and needed to be taken off life support. Not only that but her behavior after was awful. She does coke and nearly kills someone, kisses a guy who has a girlfriend, steals drugs from the clinic, vandalizes her mom's construction site, and goes on a date with the guy who was threatening her mother. After all this, all she had to do was break down and cry and everyone hugs her and tells her that she is not a bad person. Top it off with Bay taking the blame for her so that she doesn't have to go to jail. Just oh my God! Also her only punishment was that she wouldn't get to go to prom. She also got to give the commencement speech to her graduating class. I just can't like this character anymore.

If it had been John that had died after an argument with Regina, I might have found the behavior intriguing. Or if Bay was the one who acted out and blamed Regina I would have been okay because we FINALLY would have seen more of Bay and Regina's relationship. (Because we really need to see more of Daphne's and Regina's *rollseyes*) Seriously, why is this show afraid to show Bay and Regina interacting? It is either very brief or off screen.

I don't see why Bay has to sacrifice her future for Daphne. I didn't like that she wanted to follow her boyfriend across the country, but when she came up with a plan, I was okay with it. She was going to work in an art museum and take art classes at a college. Fine. It also sucks that Emmett turned down his Gallaudet acceptance because he figured that Bay was going to LA with him.

Also wasn't fond of the fandom. Many accused Bay of friend zoning Tank and how he was such a nice guy. Ugh. (This was before they started dating) Never mind that Bay and Tank had very little in common. And Tank had his douchy moments which people dismiss, like when Bay turned him down for sex and he got angry. (Someone even wondered why it mattered because Bay has had sex before. ugh!) Others were upset at the prom episode where the one girl wasn't comfortable wearing a dress and wanted to wear a tux. They just couldn't understand why she couldn't wear a dress for one night and that lesbians do wear dresses. Then of course came the "why are they forcing the gay agenda on us!" They are not, stop watching if you don't like it.

Also, Toby and Tank living together. Stupid. They hardly interacted before Toby brought him home. Tank served his purpose and his character should be done. I also didn't like Tank trying to punch Emmett in the bar. It came off as Tank feeling like he had some weird ownership over Bay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I still watch. I agree, Daphne is a mess. I didn't get the whole blaming Regina. I agree that it's weird that we hardly ever see Bay and Regina together except a bit when they were living together last season, i think.

One thing I am glad about is that Daphne had SOME consequences for her actions. Not nearly enough for how badly she was behaving, but I'm so glad she was fired from the clinic and i was glad she was going to take responsibility for the construction site. Super bummer that Bay did that, but...I dunno. I guess we'll see how it turns out. I also was annoyed that Bay was going to go with Emmett to LA, but that's SUCH a teen thing to do, I have to just forgive it even though I know it's a horrible idea.

I loved the prom episode so much! That sucks that people were pissed about it. Fork them! Oh yeah and the whole thing with Tank and his reaction to her not wanting to sleep with him made me really mad, too. I was kinda glad she just cheated on him with Emmett. Bay and Tank made no sense, really. He was just a sort of nice guy with douchy tendencies. I also realy don't like Toby and the teacher. Isn't Toby only a year older than Bay? that makes him 19? and he's hooking up with his sister's high school teacher? ick.

I can't believe they killed Angelo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:30 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I still watch. I agree, Daphne is a mess. I didn't get the whole blaming Regina. I agree that it's weird that we hardly ever see Bay and Regina together except a bit when they were living together last season, i think.

One thing I am glad about is that Daphne had SOME consequences for her actions. Not nearly enough for how badly she was behaving, but I'm so glad she was fired from the clinic and i was glad she was going to take responsibility for the construction site. Super bummer that Bay did that, but...I dunno. I guess we'll see how it turns out. I also was annoyed that Bay was going to go with Emmett to LA, but that's SUCH a teen thing to do, I have to just forgive it even though I know it's a horrible idea.

I loved the prom episode so much! That sucks that people were pissed about it. Fork them! Oh yeah and the whole thing with Tank and his reaction to her not wanting to sleep with him made me really mad, too. I was kinda glad she just cheated on him with Emmett. Bay and Tank made no sense, really. He was just a sort of nice guy with douchy tendencies. I also realy don't like Toby and the teacher. Isn't Toby only a year older than Bay? that makes him 19? and he's hooking up with his sister's high school teacher? ick.

I can't believe they killed Angelo!

I also couldn't believe that they killed Angelo. I thought of all the characters, he had the most story to tell. I wanted to see him grow more into a father role. I think that killing John would have made more sense and would have had a bigger impact on the story line. It would have been interesting to see how the family, especially Katherine would have dealt with it.

I don't like Toby and the teacher either. The entire thing is awkward and I just don't see them working out. Plus Toby was a douche to her when she first knocked on the door to his apartment. I think Toby needs to find another girl that is into music. I was also upset how they handled the Nikki story line. I wish that they had shown how difficult it is to get married that young and add the fact that they didn't date that long. Nikki could have tried a local charity. Maybe gradually work up to a break up after she finds that she is unhappy working in Kansas? (I also feel that Nikki should have been very conflicted over getting a divorce considering her religious background.)

I don't like that the show keeps introducing more boys for these girls. I'd like to see Daphne go without a boyfriend for awhile. This season, she was most interesting in the episode where she was trying to get a scholarship and realized her white privilege. (And of course, the fandom called it racist)

I don't know if I can like Daphne again. Shame because in the past I preffered her to Bay. I loved it when she stuck up for Parker and didn't want her to get slut shamed. Also loved when Jace said that she didn't seem the type to sleep with her boss and Daphne responded with "What type is that?"

I wanted them to go more into the East Riverside project and why people living there would be opposed to it. I kind of felt that they glossed over it. Also a shame that we didn't get to see more of East Riverside and what kind of community it was.

I want Wilke to come back.

Other awful fandom moments: Fans who felt that Katherine didn't have the right to be unhappy in her marriage because John is rich and supposedly gave her everything. Anytime either of their girls get called a slut. Fans wondering why they have to introduce more minority characters.

I think a lot of the fans are young conservatives who see the word family is ABC Family and believe that the network will cater to Christians.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:32 am 

Maybe some of these fans will learn a lesson? Even if they are mad initially, maybe something will sink in? maybe...
I'd love to see Daphne without a boyfriend. I cant even keep track of all the guys in her life.
I guess bay taking the fall for her was a set up so that Bay and Daphne will both end up staying local. Daphne will probably feel guilty, so she'll go to Melody's Gallaudet satellite school and Bay will end up with community service somewhere. That will probably also mean that Emmett will change his mind about USC and end up at his mom's school, too with Travis, so everyone is a big happy family and no one goes away to college. Unrealistic, but at least they established some reason for the cast to stay together.

I forgot to mention my absolute least favorite thing about the whole season! I feel like usually the show is good about having the characters have a moment where they realize they are acting like a spoiled rich kid. But the part where Toby says "dad, can you fire me so I can get unemployment and spend time being a DJ" and john says "ok, sure son." was THE WORST. what?? seriously?? You can be a DJ in your spare time after work. It's not even remotely a full time job to learn how to be a DJ. Also, John, a republican senator, supporting his son exploiting government funding like that? No way. That was just so incredibly stupid. And no one made it seem like a bad idea. I think the show wanted us to think it was an OK move by Toby. But no. Not even.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:43 pm 

I forgot to mention Toby! Yes that was ridiculous that he was going to take unemployment and that John was okay with it. Such a hypocrite. Though in his mind, because he pays a large amount in taxes, it is okay for Toby to take the money. Shame because I used to love Toby's character. Does the show know what to do with him? He gets very strange story lines. Maybe if they had hired a permanent actor for Wilke they could have kept him, Emmett and Wilke in a band and gone from there.

I wish that they would allow these characters to go to their college of choice. I could see it working because Daphne and Bay do not interact with each other that much. Have the family communicate from time to time through text or skype, cut between Bay, Daphne, Toby, the parents, and sometimes the side characters, and introduce new characters at college. And of course, have the kids visit home. Have several episodes take place over Thanksgiving and/or Christmas break. I would have liked to have seen how Bay and Emmett would have handled the move and hopefully the writers wouldn't have them living in bliss. It also could have been interesting to see Daphne adjusting to life on campus.

I think we'll see Natalie next season because she will most likely go to the Gallaudet satellite school, not sure about Sharee because I think she was going out of state?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm 

If anyone is still watching, how did you feel about the campus rape storyline?

I thought that for the most part that they handled it well. I was happy that they took on this issue and they showed how different people would react to what happened. (Though I found it out of character that Mary Beth would be a victim blamer but w/e) And I thought Vanessa did a fantastic job portraying Bay. I started to like Daphne again during this storyline.

However, I felt that the narrative tried to defend Tank a little too much. I get that they were trying to show that most college kids do not know that having sex with a drunk person is rape, but Bay did not owe him any sympathy. I wish that someone had told this to Bay.

Also it is very rare that a school would have done anything about the rape. I'm glad that they did, but in the real world, the school probably would have blamed Bay and brushed this under the rug. (Especially with Tank being an athlete) Someone on tumblr asked what fantasy world does this show take place in where the college administration acts quickly to expel a rapist.

And Emmett... just Emmett. I have never been so disappointed in a fictional character. I hope Bay never gives him a second chance after this.

Other thoughts.

Loved that Travis defended Bay and even felt a little bad because he brought the alcohol and he saw Tank and Bay go into a room but didn't think anything of it. He has become my favorite character this season.

I wish that Natalie and Melody were more involved. Bay is Melody's best friend's daughter and her son's girlfriend. I wish that she had supported Bay more than what we saw of her. (And Melody does need better writing). Natalie and Bay were friends and Bay even stood up for her at their senior prom. It just felt strange that Natalie did not go visit Bay after hearing about the rape.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:02 pm 

I'm watching and I really like some aspects of the rape storyline. It did seem very unrealistic the way the college handled the situation. Mary Beth's reaction surprised me, too. it was all kind of confusing, but I liked that Bay wasn't ready to just say she'd been raped, which is realistic. I got really frustrated with that supposed rape counselor that came over and was trying to get Bay to go to a rally. I would think that ANYONE would know that wasn't appropriate to ask someone the day after they'd been sexually assaulted. I also really didn't like that Bay went to talk to Tank alone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:37 pm 

I was so scared for Bay when she confronted Tank. I was worried that he was going to get violent.

I did like earlier when Tank approached Bay and Daphne stuck up for her and told Tank to get lost. Before the midseason break I wasn't really liking Daphne. I thought that her behavior was too much. But now I'm liking her again.

And I forgot about the rape counselor. Yeah that wasn't appropriate at all. I was a little frustrated that it was Regina who brought the counselor home and was the one blamed for upsetting Bay because I feel that Regina and Bay's relationship is horribly under developed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 pm 

finally caught up, i think. the last one i just watched is where bay and emmett break up and travis and lily get hit by a car. I feel bad that Bay is so sad, but glad she was angry at the end because Emmett...ugh. that kid has anger issues and he's just such a tool sometimes! Also, thank GOD someone finally told Daphne to retake that class. Everyone was like "oh yeah, you're right. it's all over for you. Sorry you can't be a doctor since you failed one chemistry class when you were a freshman in college."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:55 pm 

So many feels about last night's episode!

I am happy that Toby and Lily are going to have the baby. I've never seen this story done on TV and I'm excited to see where it goes. Oddly, if the baby didn't have DS I'd be a little annoyed if they kept the baby given their situations... but because it does have DS, I want to watch the story play out.

Daphne being pro life... yeah that just doesn't fit her character and it is a bit contradictory. Codo's girl friend Parker obviously had an abortion... and Daphne supporter her. It just would have made more sense for Bay to be the one that was pro life if they wanted the girls to be on opposite sides of the issue. I could see Daphne being against eugenics based abortion.

The kids at the school were adorable.

Toby and Travis... I saw both sides. Toby shouldn't have invited Sky to hang out with them. (I actually do love this character) That made Travis feel like a third wheel. As for the party, I think Emmett had every right to go. These opportunities don't come up often and with him being deaf, its going to be more difficult for him to get noticed. I think the point of that story line is that they are growing apart?

Regina's story... damn she can get in huge trouble if it is ever found out that she knew about the kidnapping. I understand why her boyfriend did it, but yikes.

I was a little uncomfortable with his ex wife and her husband being African Americans... it just seemed a little stereotypical? Maybe if they were a mixed couple?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kal wrote:
So many feels about last night's episode!

Ok What?? Is this back?? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

pakupaku
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:08 am 

Hmm... is it bothering anyone else how they are handling Bay's rape? It seems like they are making it about everyone else except her.

Like Tank (ugh) came back and basically made her feel guilty for reporting. (Go away Tank, I don't want to see you ever again). And then Bay felt like she had to help him. There was no realization that Tank is a scumbag and bay doesn't need him in her life. (Though at least she came to the conclusion that she didn't have to fix him, ew why was that even a plot point?)

And then Emmett. He used her rape in his film without her permission. And then asks to submit that film to a festival. Bay says that he should because he created it? I would have told Emmett to take a hike.

Also hate the drama between Daphne and Mingo. I love Mingo as a character. And I think he is the best guy they have paired her up with. But then they need this stupid drama with the hearing aid guy. Can't they just let two people be a couple for a while and focus on other issues besides dating?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10