| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Fish
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I just got back from watching this. Has anyone else seen it yet?

It's a fascinating and heartbreaking documentary about orcas in captivity, focusing specifically on the whale named Tilikum, who has killed three people- one trainer in Canada, one trainer in the U.S., and a homeless man who broke into his enclosure in Sea World after the park had closed.

As you can imagine, it was really sad to learn about how these whales were originally captured and the toll captivity takes on them. They are highly intelligent and deeply emotional creatures, and humans simply don't understand them well enough to work in close proximity with them, making them do circus tricks.

Post subject: Re: Black Fish
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:50 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The Rotten Tomatoes ratings are great: 97% of critics liked it, and 89% of viewers.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'll be seeing this over the weekend. I've been waiting for it to come to theaters here now for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Yes, and it tore me up. I was surprised at the footage of the humans interacting with the orcas because I had never seen it before. The one and only time I went to Sea World (Killer Whale Prison) was documented in Blackfish

Spoiler: show
-- it was when Corky rammed Kandu and she died. So, I was there, in the audience (back in 89 or so) waiting for the Shamu show when the whales got into it.

Kandu was spurting blood, and we were all just there stupidly watching with this horribly eerie music playing in the background. After what seemed like an eternity, we were ushered out of the stadium.

[The spoiler above is a tiny bit graphic and is also just a very small part of the film]

I had out of town guests visiting, and we all felt desperate for a diversion, so we went to see the penguin exhibit which was admittedly impressive, with the tiniest penguins up to the emperor penguins all in one place (also horrible, I'm sure).
Spoiler: show
We were all too bummed out though, and when we got out of the exhibit every news helo in town was circling above and it was just devastating. We knew she was dead.
And it was crystal clear that orcas should never, ever be kept in this sort of captivity specifically, or any captivity at all. (I'm pretty sure this was pre-Free Willy, even.)

So, I didn't see the Shamu show that day, or any other day, and I try to talk people out of going to the KWP every chance I get.

Every evening in the summer, at 9:53pm I hear the fireworks show and it makes me sad.

I hope the message of Blackfish gets spread far and wide.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:24 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

How awful, Sz! I remember some of the helicopter footage of that incident from the movie and it was horrible and shocking.

I think what really got to me was the descriptions of how the mothers reacted when their calves were separated from them, both when they were being hunted in the wild and in captivity. Absolutely devastating- how anyone could witness that and still think of these creatures as nothing more than money-earning objects is beyond my ken.

I think what also really impacted me was just the sheer number of former trainers condemning Sea World and the way they treat the orcas. The fact that most of them broke down crying really drove home to me that these were people who loved and respected the animals, and got jobs working with them for that reason. They were caught up in a system that treats the animals as nothing more than merchandise. The one trainer who said he wanted to leave Sea World but stayed because if he left, who would be left who truly cared for Tilly? That just broke my heart. It must be an awful situation to realize you are working for a deeply unconscionable organization, but to be held hostage because the other half of your team, your emotional connection, is quite literally a prisoner there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one killer whale show as a child. Here in the bay area we didn't have Sea World, but we had Marine World Africa USA. My grandparents would buy season tickets and take me a couple times a year. After I grew up, Marine World became less popular and got bought out by Six Flags. Now it's a bunch of rollercoasters with a side attraction of extremely sad exotic animals (I remember they definitely had giraffes and elephants too).

Children are deeply empathetic little creatures. I know that if I, as a child, had known the reality behind how these animals were captured and trained, and the stresses of confinement, that I wouldn't have wanted to see them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:41 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It's playing now in NYC and I'm planning to see it. (sunshine theater). For anyone who is thinking of seeing it, try to go sooner rather than later, to demonstrate there is a market for this type film. Theatrical releases for documentaries are very challenging, mostly because of the cost of marketing them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:17 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I think what really got to me was the descriptions of how the mothers reacted when their calves were separated from them, both when they were being hunted in the wild and in captivity. Absolutely devastating- how anyone could witness that and still think of these creatures as nothing more than money-earning objects is beyond my ken.

Yes, it made my heart hurt so much to think of the babies being ripped away particularly on learning that offspring hang out with their moms for their whole lives. It is so wrong to disrupt this relationship. It is barbaric. Not to mention them being treated as luggage, transporting them in planes hither and yon, which has to be incredibly stressful, being stuck in a tank barely big enough to fit them for however many hours it takes, including ground transport. UGH UGH UGH.

JillW -- yes, documentaries are so important. This one was especially well done and really needs to be seen. There was applause in my theatre at the end, which was very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Unfortunately, we never get any movies like this - I'll have to wait for DVD or Netflix. I'm torn on whether I want to see it. I'm afraid I'll just be a big emotional mess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I understand Zelavie, some people might want to take a pass. Project Nim inspired similar feelings but ultimately I was glad I saw it. Also you are probably right that it won't play Northern FL. But I did see on the Landmark Cinema site that it's screening now in 13 cities and coming soon to Denver and Indianapolis. So that is really good for a doc. Also that it's played longer than a week in NY is good. I'm gonna go tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I saw this the other day and it looks like the one off showing I went to was popular enough (almost sold out) that the cinema will be showing it again from next Friday which is awesome. I think a lot of people really don't get that these places forking suck so the more people that can see the movie the better.

I almost didn't go to see it because from the reviews I'd read I was expecting it to be too horror movie like but I guess after 10+ years of animal activism (focussing for quite a while on my local Sea Life centre) that nothing really surprised me (which in itself is kinda depressing). I definitely found watching The Cove far more difficult.

I found the parts where they took the babies away from their mums heartbreaking and the whole film, especially Tilikum's story, made me so angry about the way profits are more important than the welfare of animals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes I finally saw it last night, and it's nowhere near as harsh as The Cove, for those who are worried. The screening I went to was pretty well attended considering it was a Tuesday night. I could see this film being very accessible to the Disney crowd, and possibly having a real influence. Now would be a great time to increase pressure on Seaworld to stop keeping and breeding whales in captivity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

oh ~Sz I just read your spoiler. I'm so sorry you had to experience that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

Thanks, JillW, it was awful.
I'm so glad you got to see the movie. It really is very accessible and has a good potential for influence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:47 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It looks like the movie is starting to make its way to a wider audience; I've been hearing about it a lot more in the news and today CNN.com ran an editorial by the filmmaker on why she chose to make the film: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/opinion/b ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Quote:
My hope is that we take the "Blackfish" momentum and use it to help evolve us out of animals for entertainment. These silly marine park tricks are of no social, educational or conservational value. We advocate, instead, for captive killer whales to be retired into sea sanctuaries where they can live out the rest of their lives in a dignified, sustainable manner.

Here's hoping...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

And it is going to be shown on CNN Thursday, 10/24 at 9pm...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Jill wrote:
And it is going to be shown on CNN Thursday, 10/24 at 9pm...

Woah, I didn't even see that! That's fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:10 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I think what also really impacted me was just the sheer number of former trainers condemning Sea World and the way they treat the orcas. The fact that most of them broke down crying really drove home to me that these were people who loved and respected the animals, and got jobs working with them for that reason. They were caught up in a system that treats the animals as nothing more than merchandise. The one trainer who said he wanted to leave Sea World but stayed because if he left, who would be left who truly cared for Tilly? That just broke my heart. It must be an awful situation to realize you are working for a deeply unconscionable organization, but to be held hostage because the other half of your team, your emotional connection, is quite literally a prisoner there.

I've only just seen this thread, but I went to see this film with a local animal rights group earlier this month and the things you mentioned were definitely the ones which stuck out for me! I definitely cried (quietly as it was in the cinema!) more than once during the film. I'm so glad we don't have these kinds of parks here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i want to record it on CNN tonight, but i can't record the primetime showing because it conflicts with my overflowing DVR schedule. i noticed that they're showing it again at 11pm or something, but that one is only slotted for one hour while the primetime showing is two hours. what the heck? i think the running tie of the movie is something like 83 minutes, so does that mean they're only showing like half the movie (allowing for commercials) on the later viewing? i don't want to see a totally cut up version... :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have no desire to watch this movie, but I'm glad it exists and I hope lots of people see it. I've been to seaworld a lot and while it was obviously never a good thing for the animals in captivity, it used to be more like a zoo where you would just go and look at/learn about animals without a lot of the spectacle they have no. I grew up maybe a mile from the seaworld in san diego, so it's weird for me because it's really nostalgic to think about going there, but it makes me really sad now to think about going there so much as a kid. Anyway, I cried during the trailer, so there's no way I'm watching it. It's great that it's being shown on CNN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Those shows have been going on since the 1960s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

If you're responding to me, I wasn't saying there weren't shows with all the jumping and tricks and stuff, it was just different than it is now where seaworld is mostly about rides/rollercoasters and beer. I'm not defending sea world at all, just saying it's even worse now than it was 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I saw it a few weeks ago and it was really moving. I was not a fan of sea world by any means before, but such blatant disregard for their staff, lies, and hunting really shook me. I had heard a podcast about the investigation on public radio maybe a year ago but wish I had seen the film earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finally got brave enough to watch this. I'm from San Diego and have been to sea world more times than I'd like to admit. My hs prom was held there. I went to the shamu show a lot of times. It's so sad. I regret going. The movie made me feel really bad and hopeless even though I know the tide is turning in favor of animal rights. I feel so bad for poor tilikum.

I think a lot about the animals there. The penguin enclosure always reeked of poo. The dolphins didn't have a lot of space to swim and as a kid we were loud and obnoxious feeding them chum. And they had a baby whale at some point that was heavily advertised...I don't remember what kind. Gray, maybe? I remember feeling very bad as a child that its (her?) tank was so small.

I need to go hug my puppy right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It's up on Netflix instant now for any US Netflix subscribers....

I've been seeing the SeaWorld PR machine go into hyperdrive trying to un-screw the pooch on this one. Anyone else getting those super-annoying ads on Hulu now? The one where some precocious 12 year-old says "I thought I was an old hand at Sea World, but I was wrong!"