Post subject: RIP Terry Pratchett
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:50 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Very sad news.

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/ ... 9047258112

Post subject: Re: RIP Terry Pratchett
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think his books were about as close to perfect as you could get. The mixture of humour and wisdom was quite astounding really...his writing definitely made my life better.

Alzheimers is one awful disease and it's immensely sad that it took him from this world.

Let's hope he can now exchange wits with Death (and his rat).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am 
WELFARIST!

His books were a huge part of my growing up. I'll miss his wisdom and wit. I hope his death was peaceful, and that HIS DEATH welcomed him in all the appropriate ways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I started reading his books when I was a little kid, 8 or 9, because they were some of my dad's favorites and I knew he thought they were really funny. The first few were nigh unintelligible to me at that age (and I definitely did not get the humor therein) but I kept reading them anyway. Over time they became (and remain) a strong link between me and my dad. It's been my hope that this is a link I'll someday be able to share with my own kids.

When I was a young teen, I went through a bad patch where (among other things) I nearly dropped out of school. I was massively depressed and spent most of the day, every day, lying on my bedroom floor. During that stretch, I re-read every Discworld book up to that point, including the first few (funnier the second time through). They brought me happiness in a time that had very little light in it.

Imagine my surprised delight when upon moving in with solipsistnation, I unpacked his books and found that he had _three_ copies of Good Omens. Years later I believe we're down to three copies total (one of which is my/my dad's never to be returned copy, which has been read so many times it's missing both covers).

Something I came to appreciate over time, as it became more of an issue for me as an SF reader, was the fact that Terry P wrote female characters that I could relate to, that I liked, that had value and meaning in the narrative. Like I said, I grew up reading Discworld and so to me this seemed totally normal. A whole branch of the series dedicated to the adventures of three old women (the witches)? Sure, that makes sense. It would be years before I realized what a rarity this is within the genre.

... I dunno, I could go on basically forever about this. There have been echoes of Terry Pratchett throughout almost my entire life. He'll be missed.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm 
Impressive boner

I couldn't get into any of his books but still think it's sad that he's died, knowing the joy he brought to so many. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:47 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

The t-shirt he wore to conventions:

What a guy, sad he's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:25 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I hope he died peacefully...my family really love his books. We have multiples of each Discworld book that circulate between me, my sister, and my parents. We had to get at least 2 of each so we could keep up with our own demand and how well loved/used each one is...I will have to start reading them again, possibly from the actual beginning this time. We started reading them when my dad picked up Night Watch on a whim at an airport and then brought it home; that was the beginning of a lot of entertainment for us. Sad day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just found out that Terry Pratchet has died (wasn't watching or reading news yesterday, but just got home to an email about it from Dignity in Dying.)
I don't know why I'm crying about someone I never met. Someone who it seems managed to go almost the way he wanted, and before he was completely taken over by the most awful disease I've ever encountered.

What a man. And what a wonderful set of last words.