| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: G.R.R. Martin book readers. Game of Thrones Spoilers wit
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

nickvicious wrote:
I hope Jon isn't Lyanna and Rhaegar's son. I like the idea of Bran and Jon ruling in the North and Dany in the South. Not Jon and Dany uniting the 7 kingdoms. And honestly, I don't know if Dany will ever even make it to Westeros. Some say she'll stay in the east and possibly rebuild Valyria.

Speaking of Rhaegar and Lyanna, you guys know how Eddard always has flashbacks of Lyanna dying and saying "Promise me"...what the heck was the promise? Did I miss that in the books? Possibly keep Jon's identity hidden?

Yeah, from what I've read Lyanna was asking Ned to look after Jon, if the speculation is right about her being his mother. I don't know what else she would have been asking him for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

and why else would Ned have had Jon living in the castle with the rest of the family, even though Catelyn hated it? I love how full of intrigue and plotting these books are. You're all like 'no way!' and 'you can't do that! you just did that!' and so on. They are also lovely and easy to read, whilst not being at all fluffy. Very appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just don't get why he wouldn't at LEAST tell his wife. Think of the drama he could have saved himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well, the knowledge of a Targaryen in the 7 kingdoms could have killed Jon. People weren't too happy about Targaryen's by the time the last dragons left. And Ned's promise to Lyanna might be to keep Jon's identity hidden.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So we can discuss the Game of Thrones TV series here and not just the books?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I thought that was the point of this thread. if not, I'll unlock your other one, but I don't think we need 3 game of thrones threads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I thought that was the point of this thread. if not, I'll unlock your other one, but I don't think we need 3 game of thrones threads.

I saw this and it seemed like a books only thread ... like if you brought up the TV Show it'd be people being like "DON'T BRING UP THE TV SHOW!!! IT'S NOT THE SAME!", y'know, like how people are annoyed at talking about the books in the TV show thread. Especially with the next book coming out soon, it had seemed people wanted to keep book and show separated while others wanted to compare and contrast them. I leave it up to the other nerds here and wise moderators to figure what it appropriate then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The point of this thread was for those of us who have read the books to be able to talk about the books without spoiling the show for people who haven't read the books (but who totally should!) I'm happy for the tv show to be discussed in comparison with the books in here, I don't think anyone else will mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kitteh wrote:
The point of this thread was for those of us who have read the books to be able to talk about the books without spoiling the show for people who haven't read the books (but who totally should!) I'm happy for the tv show to be discussed in comparison with the books in here, I don't think anyone else will mind.

I don't mind. Though I don't have much to weigh in on as I haven't seen the show. I do think Sean Bean as Eddard and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion were great casting calls and I'm stoked to see them take on the roles. I'm a little nervous about Jon and Daenerys because they are my favorites. I want them to get together and rule Westeros and make little Snow-Dragons.

Which has be wondering...since Jon is a mustard and has no house name, does that mean his kids will also be Snows?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

nickvicious wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I don't mind. Though I don't have much to weigh in on as I haven't seen the show. I do think Sean Bean as Eddard and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion were great casting calls and I'm stoked to see them take on the roles. I'm a little nervous about Jon and Daenerys because they are my favorites. I want them to get together and rule Westeros and make little Snow-Dragons.

Which has be wondering...since Jon is a mustard and has no house name, does that mean his kids will also be Snows?

Cool cool, well I think most of the discussion will be about the books but I might add in something like how they have moved some of the conversations from books 2 and 3 into season 1 of the show - it puzzles me. But so far the show has stuck to most of the plot from the books.

Baby Snow-Dragons!! I want to see that too, Jon and Daenerys would make a great couple but I have just read about Jon and Ygritte so I can guess what must happen there.

ETA: I guess his kidlets would be Snows, unless he finds out who his parents are.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

heathergalaxy wrote:
So we can discuss the Game of Thrones TV series here and not just the books?

Sure.

aelle in the other thread wrote:
I can't wait for Daenerys and Drogo's son to be born. It's going to be one badass baby.

Noone crushed her hopes in that thread. Here we're free to laugh in your face.

OK, we're not that cruel. But future developments will be discussed here and if you don't want doesn't live through the next series or what political developments take place I'd just advice to stay away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 am 

So who's the third dragon? Obviously Dany is one and Jon is the other (R&L's love baby). I do wonder who is the third though. Tyrion? I'm only thinking because his hair is described as fairer in the books (although obviously this isn't true in the shows), but also how he dreamt of dragons and his mother died in childbirth, sort of like how I bet Lyanna died.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How do we know there's 3 dragons? Other than the Targaryen coat of arms...didn't Aemon learn in his hazy daze that there was a NEW dragon (which we already knew)? Not three.

So anybody who's read Feast, apparently Amazon.de forked up and sent out a bunch of copies of Dance before the release date, so there's already spoilers (some true, some not according to GRRM) floating around the internet.

Also, George is going to find whoever is responsible and "mount his head on a spike".

Anyways, be careful where you click. I imagine anyplace with user-generated ASoIaF content is now on unofficial "Spoiler Alert".

http://grrm.livejournal.com/224067.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 pm 

Well there are three dragons to ride. Sure the three dragons on the sigil are the original three dragons the Targaryens used to take over Westeros, but now we have three more dragons and they will need three riders... presumably who need to be descended from Targaryens. I wonder if the reason why incest is so accepted in Targaryen society is because the non-dragon women die when birthing dragon children. Seems like a good reason to keep it in the fam.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, right. I remember Daenerys wondering about who would ride alongside her.

ETA: Damn, I wish I had time for a re-read! I don't think 12 days is enough for me to get through 3 thousand some odd pages, anyway...I finished the series a year ago so I'm hoping I'm not too confused with Dance. Then I'll do another re-read (or two) if and when Winds comes out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Maarschmellow wrote:
aelle in the other thread wrote:
I can't wait for Daenerys and Drogo's son to be born. It's going to be one badass baby.

Noone crushed her hopes in that thread. Here we're free to laugh in your face.

Haha, it's really difficult with comments like that. My friend keeps asking me questions and my face gives the answer away.

And I keep getting distracted by other books, I need to focus on ASOS and then start AFFC before the new book is released.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:59 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm on the second book now. I watched the TV series first, which I think made getting into the books more difficult, because so much of the dialogue is identical (not a bad thing! It was just strange to read all these words/conversations I already heard!), but I think a couple of thing are more clear in the books. Or, at least, that I caught them more clearly (for example, in the episode where Ned Stark was beheaded, I wasn't totally sure if Joffrey made the order on impulse or if Cercei had counseled him to kill Ned but was *acting* surprised when he actually gave the order. Granted, I was packing while watching the show and probably missed some things). I also didn't realize that brother/sister love is not as taboo for people of the Seven Kingdoms as it is for us, though I guess the black brothers do think marrying one's daughters is a bit outside the norm. I also was a little weirded out by how *young* everyone is in the books, because teenagers are played by 20-somethings in Hollywood (and I think they did age the characters a bit. Jon's more like 17 than 14, right?).

I love Dany, Tyrion, Jon and Arya. I keep on wanting to flip ahead and read just the Arya chapters, because her chapters always end in terrible places! But I'm resisting the temptation. I like Gedry, too. And I want Nymeria to come back! I love the direwolves in the books; they didn't seem that important on the show. I wasn't much interested in Bran in the beginning, but I'm intrigued by his connection to Summer and the greendreams. I guess the one character I'm still not interested in is Theon. At first, I didn't like Sansa, but it's hard not to feel for her once she unwittingly gets her father killed and becomes Joffrey's hostage. I like how this book makes me root for all of these people on opposing sides. Like, I want Robb and Tyrion and Dany to all be okay!

I am glad the TV show did not show Dany breastfeeding the dragons, though I knew from the very minute that they showed the eggs that they would hatch, probably after being thrown in a fire! I did not in any way guess that Drogo, Rhaego and the sorceress would all have to die first, though! The death of Drogo and the baby took me completely by surprise on the show. Prior knowledge probably contributed to this ... but in the books, I thought Dany was rather dumb to trust the sorceress so quickly. Drogo could've waited for his own healers. Then again, it's a clever twist of narrative expectations, because in fiction, we *do* expect people to be grateful to those who save their lives. And I couldn't blame the sorceress for not wanting an even more powerful khal to run around destroying even more villages. I'm sure the sheep people would consider her some kind of hero.

I do not like that they changed what was consensual sex between Dany and Khal Drogo into rape on the TV show. I mean, WHY!? The fact that he raped her makes it harder for me to buy her complete devotion to him later, but I didn't have that problem in the books. I just don't see what narrative purpose it served, other than, "It's not a high-quality cable TV show until someone gets raped/almost raped."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's been a while, but I remember the sex between Dany and Drogo to be more a...duty?...for Dany than actual consensual. I don't know, the scene made me uncomfortable in the book. I'm sure the lack of communication and age gap are contributing factors, as well.

And, yeah I remember GRRM saying that they decided to cast all the Stark kids 3 or 4 years older. Can't remember the exact reason, but I imagine working with child actors is tougher the younger they are.

Yeah, and Theon is boring. Aeron, though...that's a great character.

Stoked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:08 pm 

The first time Dany & Drogo had sex was consensual, but after that she wasn't having much fun until the sex slave taught her to be more aggressive in bed. Someone told me the show just made it rape from the beginning, instead of Drogo getting her consent the first time and then taking what he wanted after that. Which, I guess makes sense. I think I'm just sick of rape on TV in general. At least Dany's character arc makes sense (girl is sold to guy, guy boosts girl's confidence, guy dies so girl can be strong without a male crutch), and the rape isn't just to illustrate that a male character isn't very nice.

Yeah, I think it's harder to find excellent child actors, and also there are logistic issues when you have young children on set (they can only work x amount of hours and need to get an education, etc.).

I'm on Book Four, so at least I don't have to hear much about Theon! I admit this one's been slightly harder for me to get through, just because I'm all, "OMG, but what's happening to everyone else?" Also, I have a feeling I'm not supposed to like her, but I really, really don't like Cercei. It doesn't help she seems/seemed to love Joffrey more than anyone else. Or that she accused Tyrion just because she needed to accuse somebody. Or that she's not as good at the game as she thinks she is. And, I admit, I am squicked by the incest.

It's going to kill me when A Dance with Dragons comes out and I don't have the money to buy it! :/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think another reason they aged the younger characters is for the sexing reasons. I don't think it is even legal to show a 13 year old having sex on tv, much less in the manner Dany's wedding night went on the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm 

Rach*n wrote:
I think another reason they aged the younger characters is for the sexing reasons. I don't think it is even legal to show a 13 year old quietly playing chess on tv, much less in the manner Dany's wedding night went on the show.

Yeah. That's a good point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am re-reading the first book at the moment after wandering around my house one night last week and not coming up with anything else I haven't re-read recently.

my husband 'tricked' me into reading all these books about 4 years ago, by not mentioning to me until I asked for the fifth one THAT IT HADN'T BEEN WRITTEN. grrr.

interesting to hear about the different way some things have been shown on the tv series, if it ever comes out on dvd for cheap here we might watch it...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

BTW, have you guys seen the Amazon's best sellers list? Dance is #1 and the 4 book box set is #2. I guess there goes my chances of getting a first press of Dance, despite pre-ordering it months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm partway through #2 right now...it's killing me! I bring it to work and read it during my lunch time, but goodness...I just want to be left in peace to read the 2000+ pages I have left in the whole series before #5 comes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Dance with Dragons comes out TODAY! I have the package waiting for me at the office. If anyone posts andy DWD spoilers here, can you use the "Spoiler" feature? I won't be able to get around to reading it for a couple more weeks while I wrap up what I'm reading now. That is, assuming I can hold off for a couple weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next