| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 30 for 30: Tonya Harding: The Price of Gold
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:00 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I am officially and without shame starting a thread for this movie (it's a documentary, available on Netflix). Three different people I know IRL have asked me this week if I've seen it yet so I figure there are plenty of PPKers as well.

SO... what do you think? Was Tonya involved more than she says she was? I remember when all this unfolded, I was already fascinated and enchanted by figure skating and then this soap opera-esque drama unfolds, over the Olympics no less, and it was fascinating.

I'm not sure what to think- on one hand, I felt really sorry for her, enduring an abusive mother and then an abusive husband. Even as a 14 year-old I could tell there was a skewed dichotomy being presented of Nancy Kerrigan being the pretty, ladylike, classy gal; while Tony Harding was working class, country-bumpkin, tomboyish, and outspoken. We were clearly meant to root for the pretty ladylike one who, despite coming from a blue collar family herself, was able to 'pass' as higher class in the rarified world of figure skating.

But at the same time, though... especially towards the end of the documentary, Tonya seems to come across as a little cray. And maybe seeing things from a very skewed perspective. Like when she was criticizing Nancy Kerrigan for pouting about losing the gold to Oksana Baiul... I mean, I agree, she won a G.D. silver medal at the G.D. Olympics less than two months after a devastating injury that could have ended her career outright-- cheer the fork up! But still, the wording and the clearly pent-up frustration over that was evident when she was talking about it.

apropos- they need to make a movie of this starring Amy Adams as Tonya Harding because TWINSIES.

Post subject: Re: 30 for 30: Tonya Harding: The Price of Gold
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well, I want to see this as I am something of a figure skating fanatic and clearly remember all this going down...I think it was from 1992 Olympics (it was Albertville or 1994 Lillehammer--that year that they staggered the winter olympics so it would fall two years apart from summer Olympics) that the Kerrigan/Harding business went down. And I remember that Tonya Harding skated on the ice in a red sequined outfit and my friend called me right at that moment and I was irritated because...isn't everyone on the planet watching this? All this hyped up drama is about to unfold! And then Tonya started skating through her program and then suddenly started skating aimlessly in circles mid-program (like the tension was getting all too much for her) asked to start her program over again and I think she was allowed to do so and she did fine...I remember the sports story but know little of the back story, other than the tabloidish stuff released at the time. Tonya Harding was one of the first women (if not the first) to land a triple axel (Midori Ito being another pioneer of that jump in women's skating) and was prized more for athleticism than artistry.

Anyhoo what I have to say about gold medal expectations in these situations is...beware the little-known 16/17 year old phenoms (Oksana Baiul, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Adelina Sotnikova...) that come in from nowhere and skate away with the top prize and the spotlight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I watched this last week. I had the same mixed bag of feelings - feeling bad for Tanya, but then... wait was she involved? And if so... feeling less bad for her. Such an interesting story and it was cool to learn about Tanya being some sort of skating prodigy. I was pretty young in 1994, so I really only remember the broad strokes of it from back then.

I also felt REALLY proud of Nancy for overcoming her injury so quickly and being able to medal. And proud of Michelle Kwan for being graceful when the spot she rightfully earned in the Olympic trials went to Nancy, who was too injured to skate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

seitanicverses wrote:
I remember that Tonya Harding skated on the ice in a red sequined outfit and my friend called me right at that moment and I was irritated because...isn't everyone on the planet watching this? All this hyped up drama is about to unfold! And then Tonya started skating through her program and then suddenly started skating aimlessly in circles mid-program (like the tension was getting all too much for her) asked to start her program over again and I think she was allowed to do so and she did fine...

yes, this was 1994 in Lillehammer. It was considered a big boon for Tonya because she got fourth in 92, so the decision to stagger winter/summer olympics gave her the chance to re-try two years earlier than she would have otherwise. The red sequined outfit was from her short program! She had no problems with that one, but it wasn't spectacular, and there was clearly a point in the program where she was going to go for a triple axle, but backed out and did a single at the last second. The long program was where she almost forfeited because she didn't show up on the ice after her name was announced, then she flubbed and went to the judges because her lace had broken and she didn't have enough time to fix it. She was allowed to retry because of 'equipment failure' but still did a mediocre job and did not place.

Edited! Nancy Kerrigan won the bronze in 92, not Tonya Harding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:37 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Did anyone watch the Tonya and Nancy special last night before closing ceremonies? I got totally sucked into it. I can't believe I could remember a name like Gilooley before it was even mentioned. This was just such a defining Olympic moment; like when Nadia Comeneci (sp?) got perfect 10s.

Even if Tonya was involved, just looking at the two of them side by side 20 years later, man, she's had a tough life and has probably suffered enough by now. Meanwhile, Nancy, still living a charmed life, which she deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

The early nineties were indeed the golden age of trashy "true life dramas" being played out on TV: OJ, Pamela Smart, Susan Smith, the "Long Island Lolita" (can't recall her name), Loreena Bobbitt, etc. I remember this one especially well, because I had just suffered a miscarriage and was transfixed by the trashy melodrama unfolding on TV as I lay on the sofa drinking beer and and bleeding copiously. (Apologies if that was TMI!) Anyway, a smart, thoughtful friend posted this very interesting essay a little while back. It raises some intriguing questions about the way(s) women athletes are cast in certain roles, and how their images and "identities" are manipulated for public consumption. Whatever actually happened way back when, it's worthwhile to examine these issues, especially as the personal lives of celebrities of every stripe - including the most recent variety, who are only "famous" for courting celebrity via reality TV, etc. - are ever more open to public scrutiny.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/20140 ... e_marshall

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

the Long Island Lolita was Amy Fisher! And her victim was Mary Jo Butafuoco, wife of Joey! Some friends and I were just talking about that yesterday. Crazy how that was 20 years ago now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Just looked up her net worth after watching this documentary - $10,000. And Nancy Kerrigan's is $8,000,000. Homegirl really screwed the pooch. Not that it would've mattered, really, I hadn't realized she'd never gotten any sponsors or endorsement deals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Desdemona wrote:

This. Was. Fascinating. Thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:06 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Fee wrote:
Just looked up her net worth after watching this documentary - $10,000. And Nancy Kerrigan's is $8,000,000. Homegirl really screwed the pooch. Not that it would've mattered, really, I hadn't realized she'd never gotten any sponsors or endorsement deals.

They both have had soap opera lives. Didn't Nancy's brother murder her father a few years ago? And Fee, did you find out what Tonya was paid for doing the Olympic documentary? She had a really rough family life, but because of her raw talent had a lot of outside support and care (and role models) from the time she was 4 or 5 on, but for whatever reason didn't have the motivation or discipline to make the most of it. I think she's pretty much got what she deserved out of life, sad as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i saw something on tv the other day on whatever channel is playing the olympics. not sure if it was the movie or not but Tonya is definitely a tad crazy.

i always assumed she was in on it. i thought that was like kind of assumed. there was too much suspicion on her part.
my favorite part of the thing i was watching was they showed some weird apology show from 1998 (which i had never seen before) so it was a staged apology and Tonya says to Nancy "im sorry i was in the wrong place at the wrong time"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Nancy Kerrigan STILL has the worlds worst poker face. after the show was done it was back to Bob Costas and he had Nancy with him and he said something like "when we come back we'll talk to Nancy about her reaction to the film and we'll talk about those events from 1994 with her" and when he said the last part of that sentence her face was like a barely held back eye roll.

you can tell Nancy is just over it. she so wants to not be known for this. she seems like a really private person and hates the attention.

they mentioned the thing with her dad and her brother and it sounds like they got into a fight (they didnt mention if it was physial or verbal) and then her dad had a heart attack and died. her brother went to jail either way so it's a tad suspicious about what actually happened. i guess it was probably a physical fight.

after watching the special i couldnt remember how much i remembered from the whole controversy. im not really even an ice skating fan but i remembered every damn thing about the whole thing and was like reciting it all back to my husband how she didnt get a gold and Oksana got it and she made all these poo faces and didnt want to wear her metal at Disney World.
lots of old useless knowledge in my brain i guess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

Here's a link to the 30 for 30 special (youtube) for those who want to watch:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:14 pm 

Awesome, thank you SV. I was looking for it since I had missed it and it doesn't seem to be airing anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:36 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Is the ABC documentary that aired just before the Sochi closing ceremony available online anywhere? I want to see that one, now, too, because Nancy is interviewed in that one.

If 30 for 30 is on YouTube, then this is probably redundant, but it's also on Netflix Instant for anyone who prefers that over YouTube for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Is the ABC documentary that aired just before the Sochi closing ceremony available online anywhere? I want to see that one, now, too, because Nancy is interviewed in that one.

If 30 for 30 is on YouTube, then this is probably redundant, but it's also on Netflix Instant for anyone who prefers that over YouTube for whatever reason.

Well this looks like the documentary from before the closing ceremonies as it redirects from a youtube entry where it says the whole documentary has been banned from being on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOGU0da9uk

*Sorry, I took out the youtube tags because Tonya is holding a dead fish in the screenshot and that might not be the thing to post round these vegan parts.

Anyway, the youtube entry directs you to the promised full documentary here:
http://haxotv.us/watch-nancy-and-tonya- ... v-x264-2hd

But when I press play, it wants me to install or upload something and I'm not doing that but that looks like the doc you speak of, at any rate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:41 pm 

Also, Erica, not sure if it matters but it was NBC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
The early nineties were indeed the golden age of trashy "true life dramas" being played out on TV: OJ, Pamela Smart, Susan Smith, the "Long Island Lolita" (can't recall her name), Loreena Bobbitt, etc.

Yes! So much drama during those years. I was only 12 in '94 but I remember these things pretty well. I can't believe we've reached a time when people don't know who Lorena Bobbitt is.

As a dutiful Canadian, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka for early '90s true crime drama. I don't remember another time that something took over the Canadian news like that did. Robert Pickton came close.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I read this a while back and it's an interesting read, for sure: http://www.believermag.com/issues/20140 ... e_marshall