| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upstairs, Downstairs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:08 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Has anyone watched this series (the one from the 60s/70s)? PBS did a remake movie that they aired a few months ago, and it caught my attention. I started getting discs from Netflix for the old show and really like it.

But the episodes are REALLY progressive for that era. I got kind of surprised last night while watching them LOL. Here are some examples of episode topics:

-Servant gets portrait painted by famous artist, and he hangs it next to a painting of the lady of the house in a gallery. Scandal!
-Son of family returns home while rest of fam is on vacation and finds the servants causing chaos. He plays along and forces them all to get stinking drunk. One servant wises up and quits.
-Male servant has an affair with a visiting duke and runs away with him. Scandal!
-Scullerymaid falls in love with a footman from another household, is forbidden to see him again, and hangs herself.
-Cook steals a baby in her grief over servant's suicide and almost goes to jail.

Every time I watch an episode now, I'm like on the edge of my seat. Bear in mind that these are set in like 1905-1907 (the season I am on)...

Seriously, you should check it out! It's awesome!!!

Post subject: Re: Upstairs, Downstairs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It's on my queue! I watched the new masterpiece theater mini series and I was not impressed, but I've only heard good things about the old one. If you like Upstairs Downstairs you should watch Downton Abbey. It's a really similar type of show, but SO MUCH BETTER than the new Upstairs Downstairs.

Post subject: Re: Upstairs, Downstairs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Oh I loved Downton Abbey! I just heard that season 2 will be airing in the spring.

Seriously, I totally geeked out and added a ton of Masterpiece stuff to my que after watching those two shows. Watched Daniel Deronda with Hugh Dancy the other night, and it was FAN-TAS-TIC.