| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I was kind of surprised that Don was so harsh! Not merciless, but a bit harsh considering that he's had to do lots of unkosher things to get by.

I wish there were a little Peggy this ep but I understand why there wasn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

As horrific as it was, you have to admit his first attempt with the Jag was perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 am 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
As horrific as it was, you have to admit his first attempt with the Jag was perfect.
It was - I admit that I laughed. It made me think of the scene in White Teeth when Archie tries to commit suicide, and takes his failure as a sign that he's meant to live; I was hoping that something similar might happen to Lane.

I guess I feel like Don was merciless because he himself has been given more than his share of second chances (remember how his whole "stolen identity" caper cost them that big account, and how Pete took the rap?), but refused to do the same for someone who'd done so much for the firm. He had to know how catastrophic losing his visa would be for Lane (making it pretty impossible for him to "start over"). And from a purely practical, cynical standpoint, t would have looked a lot less fishy if he'd just made up some bullshiitake story for Cooper about the $8K, repaid the company, and taken it out of Lane's hide (or salary). Or at least given him a few months to craft a plausible exit plan. It was pretty unlikely he would just randomly resign at this juncture, after being made head of the fiscal control commission; clients would have smelled a rat. And now there will be a giant mess, unless the other partners can somehow get it declared an accident, which I suppose we shouldn't put past them. And again: this is the second man Don has driven to hang himself, which can't (or shouldn't) feel too good.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

celyn wrote:
I don't think Don was merciless. He could have called the police and had Lane arrested. He offered Lane the chance to save face. Lane just didn't have the capacity Don would have had in such a situation. I even wondered if Don, when speaking crossly with Roger about bonuses and client sizes, was hoping that Roger would agree to bonuses so Lane's situation could be ironed out.

So does the resignation letter mean he'll lose out on that insurance money? Or will the partners "lose" the letter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mollyjade wrote:
celyn wrote:
I don't think Don was merciless. He could have called the police and had Lane arrested. He offered Lane the chance to save face. Lane just didn't have the capacity Don would have had in such a situation. I even wondered if Don, when speaking crossly with Roger about bonuses and client sizes, was hoping that Roger would agree to bonuses so Lane's situation could be ironed out.

So does the resignation letter mean he'll lose out on that insurance money? Or will the partners "lose" the letter?
Yowza. Good question!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh my god. This was brutal. Lane was amazing in this episode, but he broke my heart. I can't believe Don couldn't see past the act and hear Lane and the reasons or intention behind the embezzlement. I know, after it's all said and done, it's still embezzlement and Don would never trust him again, but if this was the only time I think he should have seen past it. Especially considering everything he's had to do - the unsavory decisions that disgusted him - to be where he is.

The scene in the office when Joan tells the other guys that there's something wrong in Lane's office...it had my heart racing. It seemed so genuine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've been kind of sad all day because of this. Jared Harris better win an Emmy for that shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

elouise wrote:
I've been kind of sad all day because of this. Jared Harris better win an Emmy for that shiitake.

Yeah, Thomas and I were totally silent toward the end of the episode. I knew when the car didn't work that he wouldn't stop trying - it was going to happen.

Did anyone feel proud of Pete for cutting him down? I felt like he did something good there. Don and Roger have seen war, but Pete was the last person I expected to help cut Lane off the noose. Though I'm waiting for him to do something disgusting in the wake of the death. But for a moment I felt good about his character. Like they were all doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:51 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

pickledtreats wrote:
elouise wrote:

Yeah, Thomas and I were totally silent toward the end of the episode. I knew when the car didn't work that he wouldn't stop trying - it was going to happen.

Did anyone feel proud of Pete for cutting him down? I felt like he did something good there. Don and Roger have seen war, but Pete was the last person I expected to help cut Lane off the noose. Though I'm waiting for him to do something disgusting in the wake of the death. But for a moment I felt good about his character. Like they were all doing the right thing.

I've been super morose all day too, which I suppose is a credit to the writers of the show. I wasn't the hugest fan of Lane or his storylines, but this was an incredibly intense episode. I can't wait to see what happens next week.

Also - so much Ken Cosgrove love over here - his line to Roger about having seen what was required to become partner was great, as was the way he hugged Joan after they looked over the office wall and saw Lane.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:53 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

pickledtreats wrote:
elouise wrote:

I felt really sad thinking about it today, too - not just because Jared Harris is such a good actor, and will leave a real hole in the show, but because I'd become very fond of his character. We often rewatch episodes later in the week to catch stuff we missed the first time, but I don't think I have the heart to sit through that again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Desdemona wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
elouise wrote:

I felt really sad thinking about it today, too - not just because Jared Harris is such a good actor, and will leave a real hole in the show, but because I'd become very fond of his character. We often rewatch episodes later in the week to catch stuff we missed the first time, but I don't think I have the heart to sit through that again.

It was pretty heartbreaking to see how proud his wife was of his achievements and the irony that an embezzeler would be named to the financial committee of a business group. It was all just too much.

I was really frustrated that Don didn't involve the partners in his decision to ask for Lane's resignation. Doesn't that seem like something you would bring the partners in on?

Though I think this opens the door for Joan to become the manager of financial stuff at the firm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Man, I really thought after the car suicide didn't work out that he would stop trying. I just keep thinking about his wife being so happy and buying him the car... and the fact that I'm still thinking about an episode of a tv show a day later is something. I liked Lane. He was flawed, but he was funny and kind and I felt like often, he tried to do the right thing, even if he did it the wrong way. And I have a lady boner for Brit guys, so what.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Truthfully, Lane was probably my favorite male character on the show. He was so sweet and repressed and funny and quietly beaten down by life.

Also, remember when he punched out Pete? #neverforget

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

why did Lane break his glasses in the Jag?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

and the museum geek in me just freaked out - Sally's boyfriend "Are you kidding me? The museums just across the park." yes!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:53 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

pickledtreats wrote:
Though I think this opens the door for Joan to become the manager of financial stuff at the firm.

Such a good point!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rubylove wrote:
and the museum geek in me just freaked out - Sally's boyfriend "Are you kidding me? The museums just across the park." yes!!!

The more Glen shows up the more I love him. Initially I was creeped out by him, but I think he's hilarious. His affectless jokes are awesome. "Want some caribou?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I got to work this morning and the first thing my co-worker said to me was, "I watched Mad Men where the guy hanged himself!"

Um, thanks for that. I hadn't watched the episode yet, jerkface.

Anyway, even though it wasn't a surprise by the time I saw it, it still made me super sad. It looked like they weren't going to make us see the body... and then they did. How awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rubylove wrote:

I thought he did that so maybe he wouldn't be able to see to try and save himself. Or just as an act of self abuse. I remember when his father hit him with the cane and his glasses fell off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 am 
Nailed to the V

this episode was perfect. I am so psyched for the finale!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 am 
Flounceiad 2011

pickledtreats wrote:
He (thought that he) didn't need them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Desdemona wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
He (thought that he) didn't need them anymore.

Not to be morbid, but is this a common occurrence in suicides? I kind of didn't understand it, either. I mean, if he didn't feel like he needed his glasses anymore, he could have continued in the same vein and removed his clothing, too. Though I suppose this point is proven when he reluctantly holds up half a pair of glasses to his face to try and fix the car situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It is pretty common to rid yourself of stuff like that before a suicide attempt, yes. Someone I know tried to kill himself and immediately prior he deleted all the contacts from his cell phone. Seems totally illogical - why would you care, if you're going to be dead? - but it's a pretty common warning signal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah, i thought it was a way to keep himself from saving himself if he had a change of heart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dakinand wrote:
the fact that I'm still thinking about an episode of a tv show a day later is something.

Me too. That last little attempt of Lane to flirt with Joan was so depressing.

Do you guys really think Don has blood on his hands? I thought he handled it pretty reasonably, and it was good of him to take the blame from Cooper for the cheque. Maybe I missed something.

Also, Sally getting her period was almost identical to a much younger me getting my period. I remember the horror!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next