| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Read any books by Pema Chödrön ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Have you read any books by Pema Chödrön (Tibetan Buddhism for Western audiences)? Useful ? Reviews?

I'm looking for some resources to help manage my fear and resentment in having to rebuild my life after ten years fighting cancer. Healthwise everything could not be better but I've come to realize that part of me is closed down/hardened out of fear and that's taking away from the life path I want to follow.

Of course our tiny community library doesn't have any of her books, but I've been looking at buying one of these:

Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times
No Time to Lose
When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living
Comfortable with Uncertainty

I'm also open to any other reading/resorce suggestions. Gotta get beyond fear !

Last edited by Padraigin on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Read any books by Pema Chödrön ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I don't have any insight on her books, but I wish you all the best healthwise. I watched my mom battle cancer twice, and I sort of understand the toll it takes mentally, physically, and emotionally.

I'll also see if I can find any of my mom's old books that may be of use for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've read When Things Fall Apart. It helped...somewhat. I was going through a lot of bullshittake [still going through the same 10 years later] and I was reading it at work. My on-shift manager saw it and called the cops thinking I was going to commit suicide. True story. Lo and behold, later that night a cop car pulls up in my parents' driveway wanting to take me to Circles of Care to keep me on suicide watch and to administer some tests. I didn't end up going but I will always have that memory stuck to that book.

There's another book called Embracing Fear by Thom Rutledge that is helpful. He writes plainly and straightforward enough to where it feels like a practical read with practical advice. And this is coming from someone who is not only a therapist but someone with their own afflictions too. I recommend this book. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0062517740/leonhardtonli-20

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually just got rid of When Things Fall Apart. I might have sent it to you. I actually didn't find it all that helpful for anything, because there was a lot of information, without WHAT to do about it. ..how to make it better. I don't think I finished it all, and that was just my small experience with it.

All the best to you.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]