| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-New Official Tattoo thread!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:28 am 
ugh

Pepper belly! Love that pose.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I loves it!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:46 am 
Ninja Master

that is unbelievably adorable!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Pepper!! Such a great tattoo, I love it!

I started my chest piece about a month ago, I'll post a pic once it's finished...that may be a while though because the artist is based in Leeds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Done last week by Lisa Maurine at Icon Tattoo in Portland. In honor of my late grandmother.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Lovely! Such gorgeous artwork :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh, that's beautiful! Y'all are making me want more TATTOOZ.
It's hard because I want to get the rest of my arm done - so far I only have tattoos to my elbow, none lower. But I'm scared about how that will play out with future employment. I can always wear a cardigan - but can I ALWAYS wear a cardigan? Ugh. I want more but I dunno.

What do you guys do in work situations?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh, that's beautiful! Y'all are making me want more TATTOOZ.
It's hard because I want to get the rest of my arm done - so far I only have tattoos to my elbow, none lower. But I'm scared about how that will play out with future employment. I can always wear a cardigan - but can I ALWAYS wear a cardigan? Ugh. I want more but I dunno.

What do you guys do in work situations?

I don't have any obvious tattoos below my elbows (one wrist tattoo that could be easily covered with a bracelet), but my chest piece goes up so high that pretty much no professional looking shirt can quite cover it...so my solution has been to get jobs where my employers don't care. I know that's not always feasible, but I seriously can't cover them all the way up without wearing a turtleneck or something, which I am not going to do allatimes, so they see at least part of them in the interview. Again, I know it isn't ideal in the current job market, but I really always want to work in a place that respects me for who I am and isn't going to discriminate against me because of something so silly as tattoos. (I know, perfect world, etc etc)

Good luck, either way!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

PPPP, It's funny because I only have two tattoos and they're both below my elbow. One is tiny on my wrist and the other is text down the inside of my forearm. I figure most employers that I'd want to work for don't REALLY give a shiitake and besides, are they really going to have an issue with "You are enough"?

(But for interviews, I'll probably wear a 3/4 length shirt or whatever)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 pm 

When I wrote that I totally forgot I have one on my wrist. Haha, I'm an idiot. But it's only one, and not the many more I want.

Yeah, in an IDEAL world, no one would give a shiitake about it. No one should! It's ridiculous that I even have to care what others think about it, but the fact of the matter is, there is a real prejudice against people with tattoos and I know that HR folks look for ANY reason to disqualify potential hires and that's one of them. I'd just hate for it to come back to bite me if people were to have a prejudice against me; therefore making me less likely to get raises, promotions, etc. I dunno. When I was in my job, all my arm and leg tattoos were visible most of the time (short sleeve dresses) and no one cared. I guess just because I'm seeking work right now, it gets me thinking about how I may be perceived because of it. For the record, I cover them up in job interviews.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PP,

I would just check with any potential employers about their dress code. Some companies have rules and some don't For ex amply, my library has no explicit rule about tattoos but doesn't allow any visible piercings beyond the ears.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:05 am 
Nailed to the V

paprikapapaya, I have a tattoo that goes from my shoulder to just above my elbow. It totally pokes out of my work shirt. I work at a national historic site for nps, so my new conservative boss hates that he can see the tattoo because he thinks it's unprofessional. But he can't really do anything about it because I had it way before he got there and my previous supervisors didn't see it as a problem. ANYWAY, it's the whole 'life's short' thing where if you want to express yourself with a tattoo DO IT because you gotta live for yourself and if some job won't have you because you have inked yourself then do you really want to work there?

eta: http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/11/the-value-of-being-the-weird-job-candidate/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:12 am 

Thanks, guys! I like that article, jlegume. I think that's worked for me in the past (being the weirdo, which I do quite well) so it's interesting to see someone write about that effect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think you have to worry about it less in an artistic field anyway. I always make sure that my tattoos are peeking out during an interview, so if it's an issue, they can bring it up, but I keep them covered enough that you can't see that I'm actually pretty moderately/heavily tattooed. I don't know if that's a good strategy or not, but it seems to work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 am 
ugh

I HAVE A TATTOO!!!!!

Here's the front:

and the back:

Had it done by James Moller Wulfe at Grim North in Portsmouth, NH. It hurt A LOT but I'm really happy with it! I just have to go back for finishing touches. Aaaaand eventually for a matching garter on the other leg, if I can bring myself to endure that again. I'm such a wimp. :)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I love it b.vicious! I was totally waiting to see your tattoo after we talked about it in Boston. :) I love the shading on the bow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 am 
WELFARIST!

I have a job interview today and am freaking out a little about my visible tattoos, but am sticking to my guns and wearing a (nice) shirt that shows part of them. I'm actually a little more worried about my lip piercing. Also, trying to remember if I've seen any of the employees at this place have visible tattoos. I know one girl who worked there, but I don't think she has any on her chest/arms. I'm hoping that the person interviewing me is the manager, who I know and already knows I have tattoos. At any rate, it's just the kind of thing where I can only hope it's not an issue or that they'll just tell me that they have a dress code for that sort of thing.

ETA - that is totally cute, b.vicious!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
Impressive boner

Saving up for a portrait. I'm not sure if it'll be Vincent Price or Bill Murray, but I'm leaning towards Vincent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:13 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

8ball wrote:
Saving up for a portrait. I'm not sure if it'll be Vincent Price or Bill Murray, but I'm leaning towards Vincent.

Do you ever listen to The Dana Gould Hour? It's my new favorite podcast, and he does The. Funniest. Impersonation of Vincent Price.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

New job doesn't care about tattoos, but I have to take out my lip piercing. Ha! Ok, whatever, at least I can actually remove it, unlike my tattoos.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

haven't posted in a while BUT i do have a new tattoo!
this is when it was peeling. might get my knuckles to say 'pure life' or something at some point soon too

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

In my neck of the woods, or at least at my last few jobs, employers are a lot more judgmental about piercings than they are about tattoos. My current boss doesn't care at all about my very visible tattoos on both forearms but occasionally takes issue with my tiny nose stud. She's asked me to take it out on occasion. I don't get it. It's almost invisible! People never remember that I have it, but my tattoos are always a conversation starter. Not a bad one, mine you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

vijita wrote:
In my neck of the woods, or at least at my last few jobs, employers are a lot more judgmental about piercings than they are about tattoos. My current boss doesn't care at all about my very visible tattoos on both forearms but occasionally takes issue with my tiny nose stud. She's asked me to take it out on occasion. I don't get it. It's almost invisible! People never remember that I have it, but my tattoos are always a conversation starter. Not a bad one, mine you.

RIGHT?
same here! but fortunately my job is fine with my stuff. i have my ears stretched and most places have an issue more with that than tattoos unfortunately, and as it is i cant wear hanging stuff in my septum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vijita wrote:

Ha! I didn't even realize that you had your nose pierced. So yes, it's tiny and almost invisible. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:42 pm 
ugh

I got cattoos! I want it to get warmer here so I can show them off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next