| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-New Official Tattoo thread!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

FootFace wrote:
Okay, so why is the little man throwing away a windmill?

Footface, you got it all wrong.

He's clearly taking it out of the trash while thinking to himself, "Why would anyone throw away a perfectly good windmill?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

FootFace wrote:
Okay, so why is the little man throwing away a windmill?

LAUGHING FOREVER.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't understand tattoos, I guess.

Or windmills.

Or trash cans.

Or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

but more importantly, VEZ!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The little man with the windmill reminds me of a weird thing that happened in Germany a few years ago: A punk shop was searched by the police and sued and sentenced to whatever because they had T-shirts, buttons, etc. with crossed-out windmills, because, well, you COULD get this wrong and anyhow, the windmill symbol is forbidden. Only the second (I think) court of justice got it right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Vez wrote:
"Sisters" (Native American symbol): the X with a small circle represents woman-ness, female power, fertility and compassion.
Side-by-side, these symbols represent two women bonded in a relationship of the soul – sisters.
The positioning of side-by-side is very important as it indicates a union, bond, equality – a sharing in the journey of blood.
The circle around the two female symbols signifies family – family ties, family blood, clan closeness & protection.
The circle that never breaks – it holds that which can never be broken – the bond of souls, the bond of blood between this female relationship.
Also significant as XX in Roman = 20, and my birthday is 20th June :)

[/img]

That is very cool.

I'd quite like to get a femenist tattoo. I'm not sure what.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Immediately after I got that tattoo I went to Birmingham Pride, and I was walking around thinking "this is SUCH a lesbian tattoo".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

my reward to myself once i've been completely cigarette-free for 6 months is to get a mucha tattoo. i've got a couple of images i'd like but i haven't quite decided on placement. probably on my lower arm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I wanted to get a Dark Mark (from Harry Potter) on my inner left forearm, but the internet says that that's stupid and unoriginal. SO, I want to get either second or third panel T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics, but instead of a plain black line around it, I want an olde-looking fancy frame. This would be on my upper, outer right arm. http://www.qwantz.com/index.php + http://image.shutterstock.com/display_p ... 442938.jpg

Question: I have keratosis pilaris on my arms and I've been getting conflicted answers about how that would work out. Can I get a tattoo on KP? What do I do about the exfoliation (it keeps the bumps flat)? This tat plan is a long-term one, so I'm reallyreally hoping I just grow out of this condition.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 am 
FAYGO

chatter710 wrote:
I wanted to get a Dark Mark (from Harry Potter) on my inner left forearm, but the internet says that that's stupid and unoriginal. SO, I want to get either second or third panel T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics, but instead of a plain black line around it, I want an olde-looking fancy frame. This would be on my upper, outer right arm. http://www.qwantz.com/index.php + http://image.shutterstock.com/display_p ... 442938.jpg

I wanted to do the Dark Mark a few years ago, too and am really glad I didn't; I would have regretted the hell out of it. I really like the Dinosaur Comics idea, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've found myself thinking about the Dark Mark lately too, but I think it's more that I want a Harry Potter type tattoo. I'd totally get a S.P.E.W. tattoo if that wasn't so weird when out of context.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've also been thinking about where I'd get large tattooes. I am not comfortable enough with my body to get anything on my arms or back, but maybe my legs.

I love the title art for Ponyo:
ponyo by CDStadt, on Flickr
this is the only picture I could find, but it's not the scene I'd get. I'd get the one with only whales or onlly squid/octopi.

and this:
smash by CDStadt, on Flickr
and/or the first page of the inlet of MCatIS with the ivy and spiderweb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

cstadt wrote:
I've also been thinking about where I'd get large tattooes. I am not comfortable enough with my body to get anything on my arms or back, but maybe my legs.

I'd suggest thinking more about your arms and back as possible tattoo locations. Not to say that you should get anything you aren't comfortable with, but in my experience, my tattoos have actually really improved my relationship with my body. I was always majorly uncomfortable with my arms and barely ever wore t-shirts or tank tops unless it was unbearably hot, but ever since getting my inner bicep and half sleeve, I feel so much better about them and wear short sleeves constantly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

suzukibeane wrote:
cstadt wrote:

I'd suggest thinking more about your arms and back as possible tattoo locations. Not to say that you should get anything you aren't comfortable with, but in my experience, my tattoos have actually really improved my relationship with my body. I was always majorly uncomfortable with my arms and barely ever wore t-shirts or tank tops unless it was unbearably hot, but ever since getting my inner bicep and half sleeve, I feel so much better about them and wear short sleeves constantly.

agreed. I love wearing skirts and shorts so much more now that I have a tattoo on my leg.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

WOOT

Finally got my Hank Williams tribute tattoo!

Simple, yet effective!

*does a Wayne's World mouth-guitar solo*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

cstadt wrote:
I've found myself thinking about the Dark Mark lately too, but I think it's more that I want a Harry Potter type tattoo. I'd totally get a S.P.E.W. tattoo if that wasn't so weird when out of context.

S.P.E.W. would be so awesome! People who get it would laugh knowingly, and everyone else would think you're metal and/or enigmatically cool.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've just decided on my next one, a quote from Tennysons poem Ulysses - 'To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield' on my left calf. It's a quote that always inspires me, even though life can be hard it is what you make of it and there is always hope.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Vladan wrote:
I've just decided on my next one, a quote from Tennysons poem Ulysses - 'To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield' on my left calf. It's a quote that always inspires me, even though life can be hard it is what you make of it and there is always hope.

that sounds really pretty, when are you getting it done?

I need to post a picture of my pineapple! I love it so much...I got it on my chest which is exciting since it is my first non-back tattoo. I think next I want a few lines of poetry on my left forearm just below my elbow...either "The gingham dog and the calico cat, side by side on the table sat" from The Duel by Eugene Field or "Look for me by moonlight, Watch for me by moonlight, I'll come for thee at moonlight" from The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes (or some other line from the Highwayman)...when my grandmother dies I will get that. Those poems are both in the poem book she won in a writing contest in college, so I think it would be a nice tribute

I also want to get "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." from the Great Gatsby, as a sort of remembrance of past loves...we'll see though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yes please, show us the pineapple! i've been planning on getting one for some time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Coloured in!

(line drawing done three weeks ago - here)

ETA: My back is so frakin' moley it looks like you're viewing my tatt thru a mud-splashed screen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

cherryblossom wrote:
And my nerdtastic Serenity tramp stamp:

OMG I forking love you! And this tatt, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
WOOT

Finally got my Hank Williams tribute tattoo!

Simple, yet effective!

*does a Wayne's World mouth-guitar solo*

awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Fizzgig wrote:
Vladan wrote:

that sounds really pretty, when are you getting it done?

Hopefully next month, just need to decide on what font to get.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I have ideas, just haven't decided on placement! I'm really particular about each idea, and how cohesive they will be in relation to the others.

I want to get an artichoke half, but very stylized with prominent markmaking, and really rich colors. Since it'll have a lot of detail, I want it kind of large, so forearm and wrist are out, and a round-ish body part would be good for the shape of an artichoke. I was thinking either upper back, lower back, chest over my heart (jk,not really), back of calf (but then I need another veggie on the other calf!), inner bicep (ouch! maybe not the best for my first tattoo). Any ideas or artist recommendations would be great!

I'll probably do this one first, since I want it small. A hypnosis cookie lollipop, probably on the wrist (?), for my first cookbook/book tour and first baking-themed tattoo.

And something for future that will be a little more involved is one of my more vivid childhood memories about spending time with my great uncle who hoards artwork in his tiny house on Chicago's south side, that would incorporate some of the following: Louise Nevelson's sculptures, birds, roses, Chicago's Chinatown, and symbols from these window boxes he made:

He also made the wooden squares I have hanging in my kitchen...I really like shape and design, so maybe one of these would go well on my other wrist. White ink would be so pretty!

Oh, and some asparagus on my asparagus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Inner bicep is definitely the least painful place I've ever had a tattoo done, and I have over a dozen all over the place, so don't worry about getting your first tattoo there!

As for artists, Adam at Adambomb Gallerie over on the 2000 block of MLK is the absolute best. Wonderful human being, ridiculously talented artist. I haven't gone to anyone else for at least 5 years. Lurve him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next