| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-New Official Tattoo thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

strawberryrock wrote:

Got the color for my Effie tattoo done.

Just sent an email about a chest piece I want, too.

It's great! <3 I'm going to get a Gemma Correll pug tat for Tilly.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have 11 tats, some of which follow, for your viewing pleasure:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm 
Impressive boner

I particularly love your fish lady and insect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My latest which I got yesterday. I'm in love.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 am 
Mediocre Tart

Ahhhh, peepeepeek (that's what I call you now, today), I love! This is your 29th on the 29th birthday present from T, yes? Beautiful! <3

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:17 pm 

Thank you! Yes, that was my 29 for 29! I'm so happy with it and it is sooo sore today but I don't care.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Which part of your body is that on? Soooo nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

WOW. I feel like I could feast my eyes on it all day! I love your taste in tattoos, PP.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thank you, loves! It's on my elbow/back arm. I absolutely love the bold, colourful, yummy shapes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:36 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

So beautiful PP! I love, love, love that colour palette.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo to celebrate defending my thesis, which will be in about 6 months. How far in advance do you guys start looking for a tattoo artist and discussing designs with them? I'm thinking something smallish on the inside of my wrist, so it won't be too complicated, but I'm also champing at the bit to get started!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:03 am 
Grandfathered In

couroupita wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo to celebrate defending my thesis, which will be in about 6 months. How far in advance do you guys start looking for a tattoo artist and discussing designs with them? I'm thinking something smallish on the inside of my wrist, so it won't be too complicated, but I'm also champing at the bit to get started!

Someone else who says "champing at the bit"?!

We're a rare breed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am 
And you never will.

Does anyone have experience with cover-up tattoos? I have a tattoo above my ankle that's two kanji symbols (I know, so cliché, but it was a decade ago and I was under the influence). They're black (but faded a bit now) and about 1 1/2" - 2" each. I'd really like something much bigger, in color, but I don't know what's possible. I know I'll need to find a good artist and work it out with them, I was just curious to see if anyone here had gotten a cover-up or knows someone who has.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Since poopiebitch brought up coverups, here's a tattoo etiquette question for the tattoo artists and/or heavily inked aficionados here.

I have a fairly large piece that was done about 5 years ago by a well-known (and generally respected) tattoo artist. Although the piece is very nice, I am generally pretty disappointed by the quality of work (especially when taking into account the artist's reputation and other portfolio pieces- either it was a bad day or he just didn't put the effort into mine). I've since heard a lot of rumors about this artist's drink and cocaine habits that make me pretty confident I never want to hire him again. I don't want a cover-up, I just want a lot of his mistakes fixed- I want the face of the person to actually resemble the person it's meant to be, I want the feet to look less like black dinner rolls, and I want to try and cover up or fix as much as possible some of the overshot outlines.

What is the proper etiquette around this? I am not happy with his work on me, but he is pretty well-respected and I know a lot of people with work by him who are very satisfied. I am not interested in smearing his name (which is why I didn't name him, his shop, or the specific tattoo he did), and if possible I'd like to just leave his name out of it altogether. I obviously would not go with another artist from his shop (although I do frequent his shop and use a different artist now, which I think is message enough to him). Is this acceptable, and what are the ways of proceeding to keep it acceptable? I know it's poor form to ask an artist to copy or finish another artist's work, but where does the line get drawn between that and fixing a sub-par tattoo done by an otherwise highly-regarded artist?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

poopieb, I do have 1 experience with a cover up. It went great. I used to have the band name Placebo tattooed on my shoulder/arm in a shitty cursive. I got it covered with plums. Sounds like yours would be no problem. I think artists are used to doing coverups and comfortable with it. Mine said she actually likes them because they are replacing old with new.

erika, holy wow, you are so self-aware that you're already head and tail above any others who would be in your situation. just explaining your situation to a potential artist could work out alright. Maybe having the person sign a confidentiality agreement? Gosh that's so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Poppiebitch, I haven't gotten a cover-up but have seen some amazing ones on BME that make me believe good tattoo artists can do just about anything, even over black tattoos.

Erika, I don't think you'd be in poor form asking another artist to fix it. They wouldn't be finishing or copying, just fixing something that you clearly aren't happy with. To me portraits seem really hard to get accurate and I've seen lots of bad ones. Actually your post reminded me of this article. If I was you I'd search out an artist who's done lots of portraits and see what they can do. I'm not a tattoo artist and would like to know what the ppk artists have to say on the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 pm 

Poopie, my bison is a cover-up of something black! Well, not super thick black, but lots of black lines. It's great, and has a lot of color.

It's obviously going to have to have some black in it, but it's pretty amazing what they can do! My friend got an ankle bracelet kind of thing covered up by a lovely leg piece with lots of flowers and plants and leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika, I'm in a similar boat as I'm in the process of having something lasered and covered that was originally done by a fairly well-known and highly-regarded artist, who is also friends with a lot of other tattoo artists around the country. He's done great work on friends of mine, but since he opened his own shop I (and others) have felt like he's gotten lazy and just isn't putting the effort into work that he isn't that interested in. Unfortunately I was on the receiving end of this laziness, and I really wish he'd just told me that it wasn't his style anymore and turned me down.

I think you would be fine going to another shop for a consultation in the first instance, and being either firm or generally vague (depending on how the new artist responds) on not naming the original artist. This is what I've been doing- I'm having the original tattoos lasered at another shop, and I've seen another artist about a cover up. The new artist is definitely familiar with the original one (being from the same small-ish town), but she's super understanding. We discussed how the original tattoos are technically not horrible, but just aren't the style that I was looking for, and she never pressed me for who did them in the first place. It's nice to be on the same page. She also asked if I would be interested in just reworking the original tattoos into something more 'me'- so this option doesn't seem to be too taboo.

The other thing to be careful of is Instagram- a lot of artists use it these days, and unfortunately the guy who did my first laser session posted a photo from my session on Instagram. The original tattoo artist's wife follows the laser guy, but fortunately for me that tattoo was old enough and generic enough that she wouldn't have recognised it. But when I go back for laser on the second, more distinctive piece I'll be making sure that he doesn't post any photos online. I won't be going back to that artist, but I'd rather not burn those bridges since I do like the other people working in his shop!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Thanks for the tips, dudes! Some totally sound advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Catalina wrote:
Actually your post reminded me of this article.

ZOMGZ! This tattoo is infamous! I'm really glad he was able to get it touched up and give his wife the memorial she deserves!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

poopiebitch wrote:
Does anyone have experience with cover-up tattoos? I have a tattoo above my ankle that's two kanji symbols (I know, so cliché, but it was a decade ago and I was under the influence). They're black (but faded a bit now) and about 1 1/2" - 2" each. I'd really like something much bigger, in color, but I don't know what's possible. I know I'll need to find a good artist and work it out with them, I was just curious to see if anyone here had gotten a cover-up or knows someone who has.

My sister has a couple of really fantastic cover-ups. She had a pretty awful red and black spiky abstract geometric thing that is now a palm tree and a cascade of tropical flowers. If I didn't know what was under there, I wouldn't believe it for a second; the black spikey bits are nowhere to be seen. Look for an artist who specializes in cover-ups. With some skill and creativity, almost anything is possible! Some of it is about actual covering up, and some of it is about tricking the eye by working what's there into the new design.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! I'm feeling a lot better now about the prospect of covering it - now I just have to figure out exactly what I want, find an artist I like, and save up a ton of money. Woo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just got this done like 2 hrs ago so it's super swollen but LOOOOOKKKK
(I'm very happy)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

NOICE!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 am 

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YES

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next